Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Ratings: 3,165 |  Reviews: 1,234
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

12oz can

Appearance - Clear light copper colour with an average size frothy beige coloured head. There is low amount of carbonation and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for 4-5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and most of the taste is made up of caramel, hops, and malts. It has a bit of grapefruit rind and some pine as well. It's more of an east coast IPA tasting beer. It ends with a malty bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall - A decent beer but I found myself wanting more of a fruity/juicy flavour. Still worth trying if you happen to see it on the shelves.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

I scored this CAN during a recent beer-buying excursion to PHL and I plan to make another foray on 26 December - if anyone wants this (or any other CANs), let me know before that date.

It is now a Purple CAN Afternoon and I have a) spotted Barney in one corner of the room while b) a parade of pink elephants just went by. Should I cut back?

From the (Purple) CAN: "Bahl Hornin' Since 1987"; "Solar Powered Brewery"; "The Legendary Boonville Brewery".

The CRack & gLug (sorry, residual damage from Moat Mountain) came off without a hitch and produced a thick, fluffy finger-and-a-half of tawny head that acted like it was going to hang around like the uninvited guest at the end of the night. Color was a deep, shiny copper like the handful of pennies that I recently got in change. I have had many redheaded girlfriends, but the one with this color of hair was the one that got away. There's a tear in my beer 'cause I'm cryin' for ya, dear! A good whiff of minty hops brings me right back to my senses and this delivered. Forget Smelling Salts, I'm going to market Smelling Hops for the hophead who may be asleep at the bar. Ask for it on any street corner where the finer drugs are peddled. Ah, the old Iron Fist Wrapped In Velvet Routine! Eighth time I've fallen for it this week. I was initially like Mowgli in "The Jungle Book", listening to Kaa hiss "Trust in Me" when suddenly, I took a bullet between the eyes! It initially enveloped my tongue in a sweet caress, gently working back and forth until WHAM! hops out the ying-yang and I was on my back on the floor wondering how I got there. 7% indeed. Hops and malt in a stunning interaction and looking at the dense lacing that remained, I wondered how I did not see it coming. I was distracted by thinking about that dame, I suppose. Finish left me satiated for the moment, but that feeling never lasts and I'm going to have to score again real soon, I just know it. Why, oh why, did I ever get hooked in the first place? BECAUSE I LOOOOVE HOPS, that's why and if you are awaiting real regret, hold your breath! I crave hops and this delivered. It will certainly have a place in my Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) cooler as well as accompanying me to the beach and elsewhere.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle ---> pint glass. Slightly hazy burnt orange/amber with a quickly forming cream head. An abundance of slowly rising bubbles and spotted lacing.

Big herbal hops in the nose with plenty of citrus. Almost a perfume-like quality (in a good way) Lovely dank fermented sour dough bread scent, tart strawberry juiciness, cannabis, and tropical fruits.

Taste follows nose in tart grapefruit citrus and alpine bitterness. More balanced the nose, taste offers sweet grainy malts and fatty nuts, especially as it warms. Oily bitterness sticks around till the next sip.

Mouthfeel is typical for an IPA..very full flavored, mouth watering then slightly dry.

Great IPA!!

4.03/5  rDev +1%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint

a: slightly hazy amber color with a very fluffy white head that sticks to the sides of the glass for a long time.

s: lemony hop aromas with a noticeably sweet caramel malt aroma. not too crazy on the hops, but it does smell quite refreshing.

t: citrus and floral hop flavor up front with some nice pine bitterness at the end. sweet malts are there throughout the flavor making this much less bitter than expected. well balanced and very flavorful.

m: slightly sticky mouthfeel.

a good ipa worth trying, but it won't be replacing any of my favorite local brewed IPAs anytime soon (i'm looking at you Blatant and Mayflower). i won't buy this again @ $13.99 a six pack, but i'm still glad i got it. recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

A - A highly effervescent burnt orange body hides under a thick soapy eggshell head with fabulous retention and sticky lacing.

S - Floral and piney hops battle it out with passionfruit and mango. Caramel malt is present on the nose.

T - Pine, tropical fruits, caramel with an unfortunate metallic flavour fouling up an otherwise promising balance.

M - Beautiful buttery medium body and moderate carbonation.

O - I should note that I have no idea how fresh this bottle was as there is no marking whatsoever on the bottle to assist in finding out. I should've asked the bottle shop. This is a beefed up American IPA which couldve been a real winner if not for the coin flavour.

3.87/5  rDev -3%

A - Deeper amber color than expected...typically West Coast IPAs are lighter in color. Minimal head. Slight lacing.

S - Awesome floral notes...sticky resin, cannabis, and hop flowers dominate the nose...with a hint of carmel sweetness

T - Delicous juicy hop flavors, excellent hop utilization for flavoring...must really know what they are doing with mid to late stage hop additions. Great lingering bitterness...the kind of hop bitterness that is great to have hanging around on your tongue

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, not too syrupy, very nice.

Overall - This is one I'd love to have at the brewery so I can taste it in its most perfect form. Excellent IPA. Try it!

Cheers!