Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

4.5

Ratings: 3,176 |  Reviews: 1,236
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a bottle of this beer in to my Anchor Steam pint glass.

A. Orange like color. Thin head with quite nice lacing, off white. Beer is crystal clear.

S. Spicy, sharp scents of floral hops. Pine and cirtus. Nice aroma.

T. Good citrus hop flavor, slightly astringent. Nice malty caramel flavors as well.

M. Bitter, high carbonation and dry. Somewhat oily sensation also.

D. Very drinkable ipa. Alcohol is well hidden and it goes down smoothly.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours an almost-clear, light orange/copper color with a nice off-white head that hangs around for a bit. Right after opening I got a nice whiff of hops. I'm getting lots of citrus notes...mainly orange and lemon, followed by a sweet malt scent blended with melon. A very nice balance to this. The taste is not quite as good as it smells though. Initially you get sweet malts and sugars, but it's not really followed by all the citrus I get in the nose. The hops are more bittering than fruity and citrusy. As it warms up you get a bit more of the citrus notes and the beer begins to taste more well balanced (the bitterness mellows out). The alcohol is very well hidden. Mouthfeel is quite nice...no real complaints in this department. And the drinkability can be considered quite high IMO.

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A brilliant orange-amber color.

floral hops, clove, and pine.

The tongue picks out a dry bitterness, plenty of pine, some bite, and an underlying bread malt. It's a decent IPA, and feels balanced enough, but I don't much like the dry bitter taste.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Clean clear copper color with about two fingers worth of off-white foamy head and great lacing.

S - Fruity, resinous hops, very herbaceous.

T/M - Medium carbonation, high hop bitterness, pungent...malt flavors are very subdued.

A very solid beer and a good representation of the category.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Poured in to Duvel tulip
Couldn't find a bottled on date...

A - Hazy amber colour with a half finger of thick white head.

S - Sweet malts and bitter hops form a well balanced beer. The hops have a slight floral nose with some citrus and the malts are caramel and bready.

T - A very sweet malt taste up front that dominated the overall palate. Bitter hops are prevalent as well with some floral notes and they leave a lasting bitterness in the finish.

M - Light to medium body with light carbonation.

D - Good IPA but not one of the best I've had.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

22 ounce bomber. The label says the brewery is solar powered, which is pretty cool. Gotta respect that. Pours a nice burnt sienna with a full head that leaves lots of lace. The lacing really sticks to the glass. Loads of floral and pine hops in the nose with some caramel lurking in the background. Enticing smell. Taste is sweet, and really well balanced for an IPA. Crisp finish. As you drink it you get a pretty strong caramel malt presence in the body of the beer, though it never gets syrupy. The beer leaves you with a nice bitterness thanks to the hops at the end, if you're in to that sort of thing. Pretty solid mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation. You don't get any real heat from the alcohol despite the ABV. If you like IPAs, this one is pretty easy drinking. I may have to make it part of my regular rotation.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

A_Pours hazy orange with a thick , sticky off white head. Nice retention. Lacing coats the glass.

S_Strong,sweet floral aroma.Pine and grassy hops.

T_Strong hops upfront.Nice floral bouquet but not as strong as the smell.Grassy earthy hops give this beer a good kick.

M_Full bodied and sticky.

D_Pretty drinkable but for some reason I have a hard time putting down a lot of beers with a strong floral aroma or taste. Easily session-able though.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle poured into a NB snifter.

A: Fairly standard IPA color, light amber. Good soft thin head with some lacing.

S: Sweet malt. Honey like aroma. Floral and citrusy hops.

T: Not too sweet on the malt but good hop flavor. Earthy, floral, and some citrus on the hops.

M: Thin, crisp, and dry. The way it should be.

D: Very good. This is a beer that I had brought back to me by the girlfriend about a year ago and I was very sad I liked it so much. Now we have it in Tx so it is one of my go to beers.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a golden orange with thin white head and nice lacing down the glass. I smell citrus and floral hops and mild sweetness. Bitterness seems to be a bit higher than the hop flavour should imply. Still has citrus and pine flavour though. I think this falls a little bit flat for me in that I either expect IPA's to have a bigger malt balance or for the hops to hit harder. It still tastes good, just not up with the top tier of IPA's. Carbonation is spot on for the style.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Thanks to monsterfat for the bottle.

Been wanting to try this one for a while now. I seem to remember reading about what a delicious hoppy treat it was on LNBA or something like that and added it to the ol' Wants list.

Amber orange pour. Shocker. "Amber orange" and "Orange amber" should be renamed as IPA and DIPA. I honestly can't come up with any creative ways to describe identical pour after identical pour. Off white foam reaches two fingers, and is quite fluffy. Good retention; it hits that nice happy medium between "monster head that fizzes away instantly" and "monster head that never leaves." It works for me, because I didn't want to wait half an hour for the foam to die down. Wonderful lacing stuck to the glass.

So, I totally expected this beer to be a hop bomb...and with a label that boasts "Hop Ottin' bites like an angry rattlesnake," I feel like that was a fair assumption on my part. However, I'm smelling mostly sweet caramel. It smells rich and sweet, very malty. Balance, on the West Coast? Never. After some digging (and some warmth), I begin to smell some hop aromas - sweet oranges and earthy, herbal bitterness. They blend in really well with that sweet malt/caramel smell, so the hop aromas are pretty well masked. I can't really say that I like that.

The flavor, like the aroma, is surprisingly balanced. It's not that it's a bad thing, necessarily, but it's...weird. I just don't expect this from a West Coast IPA. Now, I do like both the sweet orange and earthy/herbal hop flavors. I just wish they were more aggressive. However, Hop Ottin' is still a finely crafted IPA. Balance may not be to my liking, but it's still a good quality. Seriously, though, how weird is that? I can't stress this enough. In Hop Ottin's defense, there's some nice bitterness in the finish, enough to remind you that you're dealing with more hops than you realized, and not enough to keep it from being immensely drinkable. It's not flashy, or glamorous, but, damn, it pretty much does everything by the book.

Medium bodied. Carbonation is appropriate. Would like this one to be a little more creamy, but it's still a very nice texture. Actually, I change my mind. This is medium-heavy, and it feels pretty damn close to full bodied. Surprisingly chewy at first, but, I guess given the big malt presence, it shouldn't be. Drinkability is off the charts. I polished off the bomber faster than I'd like to admit. It may not be a full-on hop assault like I expect (and like) from West Coast IPA's, but it's really, really well done. Nothing about this beer takes away from its drinkability.

Hop Ottin' somewhat reminds me of my top-rated beer, Masala Mama. It's like Masala Mama Jr., or the JV version. If it were a little more forward with the citric hop flavor, this would rank right up there with the best beers I've had. But, it falls just a tad short, which sets off a serious domino effect as far as ratings are concerned. It's a great beer, and honestly, I'd keep this in the fridge constantly if it were locally available, for myself and for my non-beer geek friends.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

From bottle to pint glass:

A - Clear copper color, decent head, fine lacing

S - Fruit and floral scents. Smells great.

T - Well balance tough malt backbone with a complex mix of fruity, floral, and hoppy tastes.

M - Medium bodied, well carbonated.

D - Loved this beer. An excellent IPA. Will have again.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

A. Rich golden hue, solid off white head , a persistent 3/4", Getting thirsty looking at this one!
S. Malt gives off sweet fruit notes, mangoish, hops are more subtle, but have a good bright acidity.
T. Expected a heavier mouthfeel. This is a rich well crafted brew. Good carbonation on palate, alcohol helps dry the finish. Hops are quite presistent. Malt is not as sweet as the nose.
M. Medium bodied, alcohol(7%) is well hidden
D. Summer or winter! Definitely a new go to! A well made beer from avbc!!

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Clear medium amber w/ a frothy head that forms great lacing. Steady stream of small bubbles keeps the head pretty thick throughout.

S: Floral hops and a berry-like sweetness. Very nice balance.

T: Rounded fruit and toast malt sweetness up front with some hints of honey and strawberry. Finishes with a nice, spicy hop kick that sticks around for a while with a mild bitterness. Flavors are very balanced. Feel is between medium and full-bodied, with a slight oily slickness on the tongue. The alcohol is hidden very well.

D: In spite of its above average hoppiness, it's not too bitter or drying in the finish and I could probably have a couple in one sitting. It does have a strong enough flavor to allow you to sip on it for a while, though.

This is standby IPA that I often have in my fridge, as it relatively cheap and fresh here in L.A. A great beer from a great brewery.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Pours a clear golden orange with a small off-white head. Smell is primarily sweet malt, with a hint of earthy hops. Taste is also very sweet malt up front, with a woody, earthy hop middle, and a hint of grapefruit in the finish. Mouthfeel is nice and rich, medium carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it does get a tiny bit cloying from the sweetness after you have more than one, but other than that it is a fine beer, that I would get again.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a reddish amber, good clarity. Minimal carbonation evident. Thick one finger head that retains fairly well.

smells is clean, hoppy.

Taste is very well balanced for an IPA, nice malty backbone but dominated by sharp, fresh hops, not sure of the varieties, the malt shows up front and the bitterness of the hops lingers making this a refreshing brew to quaff.

What can you say, the Anderson Valley is a ridiculously beautiful place so anything from there has to be good, right? This is a fine IPA.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

Poured orange golden color, with 1.5 finger white head that leaves great lacing.

Smells of sweet crystal malt - and earthy hops.

Taste is the same really - sweet crystal malts up front then ends with earthy hops - really thought this was going to be more piney and citrus. But I dont mind so much - I like my IPA's on the sweeter side.

Mouthfeel is good - med.

Overall this is a good IPA - the malt profile reminds me of Caldera's IPA - although with a very different hopping schedule.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

I picked up some of this at work.

Appearance- amber color, nice head, nice lacing

Smell- hops

Taste- hops

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- Really good IPA. I really loved it. Really good hop flavor, haven't had it on tap but on tap it would be even more awesome

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a tumbler.

Golden/amber in color. One finger white head that fairly quickly dies down to a layer of foam on top, not too much lacing left behind.

Smells of light sweet malts, lemon citrus, and a hint of pine.

Taste follows smell. Lemon citrus and bitter resin. Slight pine flavor. Light sweet honey malts.

Medium bodied, well carbonated, a slight hop bite.

Drinkability stands out the most.

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

I used to drink a lot of Anderson Valley stuff when I lived out west and want to start giving them more of my time again. This was a bit of a let down now, but my memories are fond enough that I will keep trying other things from them. Review is from notes taken on 5/29/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours the standard medium copper color; starts with a 1 and 1/2 finger slightly off-white head with nice retention and becomes pock-marked as it slowly fades to a thick an full cap that lasts throughout the drink; body is quite clear and shows moderate carbonation; nice swaths and washes of foamy lacing are left behind.

Smell: I was a little nervous at first going into this one because the second I cracked it I swear I smelled skunk crawling out of the bottle, but it eventually faded and turned into a piney hop bitterness, but it did taint my nose a bit; grassy/piney hops and it comes across as quite bitter; nose is a kind of weak though overall and I have to pull pretty hard to get much out of it.

Taste: Bitter sappy and sticky piney/grassy hops up front, but they're followed by a bitter and biting coppery/metallic taste that really kind of makes me cringe because it's kind of strong and really takes hold and it's rather unpleasant; very slight toasty malt presence in the back once the metal fades; the bitter piney hops really linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong and prickly carbonation; a nice dry stickiness is left covering the mouth and it holds the bitter hop presence well into the aftertaste. Pretty solid and one of the better aspects of this beer.

Drinkability: Meh. Average at best as that skunky smell and metallic bite really turned me off pretty quick. There are nice supporting flavors and the look and mouthfeel are solid, but I doubt I'll be looking to buy this particular IPA again.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A: Very nice color... 14kt gold, pours with a creamy dense head that sticks to the glass like glue. Very impressive.

S: Immediately picked up grapes, almost wine-like aroma. Pine, and citrus wafting in there as well along with melon. It will clear out your sinuses.

T: Just perfect bitterness with a blend of complex flavors. Floral, citrus, and hop all blend together well, but are equally represented.

M: The blend of flavors just makes this one feel spot-on. Not too dry, not too heavy either.

D: I can't believe it took me so long to try this IPA. I always look at Anderson Valley different with a much higher price tag, now I know why. This is one of the best American IPAs I have tried in a long time. I will definitely be back to pay the extra moolah for such a great IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +13.8%

Anderson Valley, Hop Ottin, draft

A Appears to be unfiltered, golden to red in color, thick fluffy head at first pour with nice little dimples in it. The head diminishes, but lasts the whole glass. It looks great!

S Excellent hop aroma, smells like cascade or similar. Flowery and citrusy. Just what I want for an IPA.

T Bitter hit at the start from the hops, then a light caramel/coffee hint comes once the hop hit subsides. Hops are what's on display here, but the malt backs it up nicely.

M Medium body, balance is in the favor of the hops.

O A very good IPA. Definitely recommend, for the IPA lover. I'll have another!

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Wife picked up a single for me. I forgot how good this is.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a copper colored ale with a nice frothy off-white foamy head with a ton of lacing. The aroma is mainly malty with some tangerine whiffs and slight caramel. The taste is smack dab bitter in the back of your throat with some nice malt upfront. Tangy finish and lingering pleasing grapefruit aftertaste. Full bodied mouthfeel with a slight dry finish and salivating occurring. High drinkability as this went down quickly and I was looking for another. Kind of a double IPA hybrid in an IPA bottle. Great stuff. I see six packs in the future and possibly a "go-to" candidate.

Photo of
4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

There is a high level of carbonation, creating a thick head. A sticky layer of foam coates the sides of the glass

Smells sweet and grassy with a little bit of apricot mixed in. It tastes similar, but I taste a lot of grape up front from the malt. Very unique taste, and it works.

This is about as full-bodied as you can go without altering the style. Very warming in the mouth. With this in mind drinkability is excellent.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Clear medium orange with thin white head, spotty lace. Smell: spicy, slightly leafy, a little tangerine, bready. Taste: fairly sweet, leafy and tea like, a little lemon and grapefruit. Medium bodied. Not great. Not oxidized or anything, but perhaps not super fresh...no dating readable by a consumer...

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

From the label: "Brewed with the finest hops, malted barley, hops, yeast, hops, and pristine Boonville mineral water. And hops." And be sure to read the back label, for a brief Anderson Valley dialect lesson.

Burnt orange, sunset and rust come to mind when looking at this beer. Head is an inch and thins to a quarter that size quickly, leaving streaks and spots of lace.

Hop, big hops, both herbal and grapefruit, come quickly to the nose. A bright, fresh aroma, bordering on grassy and hinting at some astringency. Not a ton of malt detected, at least in the nose.

The flavor is big, and luckily brings some malt in with the slammin' hops. Hops, as expected based on aroma, are a combination of citrus rind, fresh green grass and pungent herbs (ok, I'll say it: marijuana). Superbly balanced against the sweet, rich toffee-like malt, and the quite bitter finish, there's nothing to dislike about this beer. If you're an IPA-lover, there aren't many better, brighter, fuller flavors out there than this. I'd put it up there with Bell's Two-Hearted and that crowd.

Fair bit of creaminess in the flavor...yet with pretty light body, which increases drinkability. Some resiny stick bulks it up a bit; carbonation is ample but not intrusive.

Big flavor without a huge ABV...this makes Hop Ottin' IPA a completely, utterly drinkable beer and one that would work wonders as a daily go-to, if available to you. Nice one.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company