Love Belgian Beer?

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by pezoids on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,222 | Ratings: 3,090
3.36/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Short's Impeial Pint Glass.

A: Pours a dark amber with one finger of cream colored head that leaves very nice sticky lace.

A: I notice the bready, biscuity malts the most. This is a very malty IPA. Although I was expecting a much more pronounced hop profile, the grassy hops do show up.

T: Again, not what I was expecting. Much maltier, this almost has a feel of an American Ale not an IPA. Bread, caramel, and some light citrus come through.

M: Medium body, caramel and malts give it a sticky mouthfeel. Good levels of carbonation give it a sting on the back end.

D and overall impression: Low ABV and decent mouthfeel make this an easy one to drink. But if I am reviewing to style (which I am) I don't think this measures up. As an IPA, this is just slightly above average. Good not great. But if I'm in the mood for an IPA, I'll be choosing something else. Skal.

3.36/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bottle $5. I had this once years ago but could not remember it so I bought this bomber. Nice dark orange color with a decent head. It smelled slightly like grapefruit but really not much and I was not impressed. The flavor was very bitter and had some citrus qualities but they just weren't pronounced enough. Overall this was not bad but when I want a West Coast IPA I will get some Pliny or Racer 5 or Sculpin if I'm lucky.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a semi-clear copper color. There's about two fingers worth of off-white colored head, though the texture is a bit rougher than I prefer. The retention is solid enough, though, and good amounts of lacing are left behind.

S: The hops here are mostly piny, with some lemony hints and no tropical fruits (or any other citrusy notes) anywhere. Meanwhile, its malt backbone is loaded with toffee and nuttiness. I kind of wish this was less malty and more fruity, but that's only personal preference.

T: There's a slight opening of nutty sweetness - then boom, the hops hit. Sadly, there isn't much hop flavor, rather it relies on grassy bitterness as a ballast toward the building caramel sweetness. There's something past the swallow suggesting leather, and after half the bottle, becomes too malty for me. But it's still pretty good at the end of the day.

M: Carbonation pokes through the body quite strongly, and helps to dry out the finish some. It's also quite crisp and relatively light (if somewhat sweet on the linger), so this one is pretty drinkable.

O: This kind of IPA - sweetish, bitter from the hops, no citrus - isn't my style, but this *is* well made considering that. I have trouble finding this one fresh, and it's a bit pricier than the standard IPA 6-packs; as a result, this one isn't on my 'must buy immediately' list.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a big tall glass, cuz that's how I roll when I shop at the grocery store. Appearance was a medium amber color. Poured a finger and a half of head. Very piney nose. A bit spicy. Mouthfeel was a decent creamy carbonation. Very piney, hoppy, quite bitter. Went well with the Red Baron I had. I told you, grocery store.

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Consumed on March 14th, 2013 in a 12 oz. Samuel Adams "perfect" beer glass. Served at 50 degrees F.

Beer pours a clear, brilliant yellow. Plenty of head on this one: three fingers of meringue-like, nearly-pillowy yellowish foam. It eventually settles down into a super-sheeting layer of foam.

Aromas are present but not especially amazing: orange peel, some dank, musty almost-funk, traces of pine.

Flavor is a touch skunky off the bat. Some biscuity malt but mainly aspirin-like bitterness. A touch of bitter orange peel as well. Not really all that well-put-together.

Mouthfeel is prickly and dry while at the same time managing a creaminess. Neat trick.

Overall, this one works well enough, I suppose, but it's far from one of my favorite IPAs.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: Poured a rusty copper, which had an orange tint to it. Two fingers of billowy head developed and dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the outside.

Smell: Warning -- hops ahead. Grapefruit and orange citrus dominates, but there is a light and sweet caramel malt presence. A little bit of pine makes itself known, too.

Taste: Hoppy. Oh, yeah. The citrus from the smell comes through immediately, and is followed by the strong hop bitterness. It evens nicely after a couple sips and the hops are not so intense, allowing a citrus and caramel malts to come through.

Drinkability: Yeah, it's not my thing. It's too hoppy, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like it.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

So I'm seriously considering to note drink IPA's anymore. They are all tasting the same, and that's a problem.

Appearance: Pours a nice orange amber with about a 1/2 finger white head. It settles quickly, but stays around the edge of the beer.

Smell: There's a light malt character on the smell, but the hops were overpowering. Floral smells and grapefruit dominate, with a hint of oranges taking up the rear. Overall the smell isn't too powerful. I would appreciate more presence.

Taste: Again the grapefruit come into play, as do the floral hops. What brings this beer above average is that their is a distinct flavor of rosemary that becomes present with a sweet malt flavor. It's interesting, but only a small piece of the puzzle.

Mouthfeel: Like an other IPA there is a bitterness that compliments the thin consistency. However, the consistency is a little thicker than a standard IPA. This however, isn't a major bonus considering it lacks the malt backbone to substantiate it.l

Drinkability: It drinks like any IPA, which is why I wouldn't have another unless it was the only craft brew available.

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Egg shell white head, about 2.5 fingers worth. Laces the glass very well. Brilliant orange color, with little carbonation streaming off the bottom.

S: grapefruit aromas jump out of the glass. Little bit of toffee notes as well.

T: Toasty/piney flavors, with some citrus. Not nearly as much grapefruit as the aromas would have led me to believe. Nutty flavors.

M: Lingering flavors, the pines hang around. Plenty of bitterness, a little thin mouth feel, with not much carbonation.

O: Its bitter, and fairly sexy looking beer, but the flavors don’t deliver what the aromas promise. A little disappointing from a brewery that I generally love.

Wish the can had a date, and I'll visit this again in the bottle.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle left a one finger head with pretty good retention and some lacing. Pretty dark, burnt orange/brown.

Smells fairly citrusy, toasty malts. Doesn't really hit you in the face; could be a little more aromatic. However, it still is pleasantly grassy and hop-forward.

Good clean and refreshing pale maltiness and hop bitterness is nice. There is mineral quality that hangs around for a second on the palate, sort of a coppery quality. Finishes with a mouth-coating bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, much more like a pale ale.

I think if someone had told me this was a Pale Ale I would have enjoyed it more, for some reason. The hops are nice but they aren't particularly bold. Still, Hop Ottin is very clean and very refreshing.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Standard amber color, except especially darker than other California IPAs. It contains a good amount of lacing, not to mention a nice little ring that maintains itself at the top no matter how much it warms up. No excessive carbonation to be seen, but still a decent looking IPA.

Loads of hops are present in the aroma, although it's far more honey-tinged than fruity, to my surprise. There's an overlapping yeasty smell in the glass, perhaps aided by the extra maltiness. Other than huge honey bits, there's a smell of rye, lightly smoked bread, orange peel, and flowery herbs.

The hops indeed attack a lot more on the first sip, but the honey and yeasty taste is quite prevailing – perhaps a little too much. Alcohol is highly present here, although perhaps a little too much so. This has a larger malty backbone than expected, but does overall produce a thick, heartening drinking experience. There's substantial carbonation, but definitely not too much. I do prefer this when it is colder, however. The floral notes are more present and the alcohol is less astringent tasting. When it warms up a lot, it almost seems like an unbalanced, highly alcoholic pale ale rather than a proper IPA.

A decent IPA that is not really up to the standards that I usually enjoy Anderson Valley Brewing Co. to be. Their oatmeal stout is definitely a masterpiece, and their amber ale trails really well, but this is a little too in between a pale ale and IPA to be satisfying overall. I still think it's a good beer, but I definitely could have done without the extra alcohol dosage – and definitely could have done with more hops!

3.35/5  rDev -16%

12 oz bottle purchased for me by a friend of mine at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, OH. Review transposed from notes when I had it at my friend's house.

A: Copper color with a frothy white finger thick head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sweet malty aroma with piney hop notes. Good but nothing special in the aroma.

T: Well balanced taste profile. Only issue is a bit of a metallic after taste. Hopefully I will be able to try this again at some point to see if this might have been a bad bottle.

M: Medium body. Smooth and creamy with good carbonation.

D: Pretty drinkable due to balance, but once again losing out here due to the after taste.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

Initial pour formed a nice head of small to medium, bubbles in a white head that slowly but surely decreased in size. It has a nice amber brown colored body with some yeast floating in it. Its aroma was just tolerable and smelled a bit off. Its taste was initially not to my liking with a taste of clove and bitterness and with a aftertaste that I did not prefer. All in all not a brew I would recommend.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: amber (almost exactly like a Bass). Surprisingly creamy head.
Aroma: Fairly subtle hop aroma (citrusy). Bit of pale malt.
Taste: Somewhat bitter, mostly citrus flavor (cascade and centennial?). Somewhat stale taste
at the end.
Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation and resin from hops.
Overall: Middle of the road IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a slightly hazy, dusky orange color with a nice, fat off-white head that displays very nice retention and clingy lacing. Great looking IPA.

Nose is of citrus and tropical hops with biscuity sweet malts. Some fruitiness is evident in the form of red grapes, green apples and pears. It is a pleasant smelling brew.

Has an earthy and malty feel to it for an IPA. The bitterness is there, but seems to lack a bit in the way of hop flavor and body. I have really enjoyed the three other AV beers I have had before this one, but Hop Ottin' does not really do it for me.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a pint glass. Color was caramel orangeish, almost like apple juice. About 1 ¼ inches of head. Frothy white lacing on the top. Good bubbly film on the sides throughout the pour.

Smelled of citrus hops, mainly lemon zest. Some pine in there, too. Grapefruit notes were also hanging around.

Initial taste was bitterness. Also got metallic notes and a little bit of Fruit Loops. Citrus hops (lemon) come through as well, but there is a taste in there that doesn’t sit too well with me. Grains, grass? I don’t know.

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Bitter astringent finish.

A decent beer, but nothing too spectacular.

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Purchased as a single from Trader Joe's and poured into a pint glass.

Pours an amber hue with moderate hops on the nose. Tastes like the amber that I expected from their Boont Amber. Not a lot of distinguishing characteristics going on. Not as sweet as an amber might be yet not as complex as I would expect from an IPA.

Pretty lame..

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a light amber color with thin head that disapates quickly. There is a huge amount of lace all around the glass

Scent is great, it is sweet, fruity, malty, and nice citrus hops.

Taste, aaaa, well, not what I expected. Very sweet up front, kind of watery with an almost chemical taste. It does finish with hops and again che-m-i-cal (oooo, I hate to say that, but that is what I taste).

Mouthfeel is light bodied and crisp.

Drinkability is ok, but the taste is just not what I expected from an IPA. I won't buy this one again.

This beer will fool you with the lable and the scent but it is not what a good IPA is all about.

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Dark red body with no head.
Aroma: Massive floral, pine and spruce aromas. Barely any malt present.
Taste: This beer is so incredibly resiny it is impossible to tell what else is going on.
Mouthfeel: Sharp bitterness brings this beer down from what it could be. This is an oil slick of hop juice.
Drinkability: This beer is just too sappy to make me want to come back for more. Tasted with another hop head and two belgian freaks, and no one wanted to finish this. Granted, as it was consumed in the Father's Office, it was served much too cold.

3.31/5  rDev -17%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Attained through a trade

Appearance: Pours a copper amber color with a finger of head at the top. Looks like a fair bit of carbonation coming out of this. A generous amount of lacing going from the top to the bottom of my glass.

Smell: This is an IPA? Alright, maybe I'm being too harsh. It's got a hop presence, but not an enormous one as I expected from a west coast IPA. The nose brings out some earthy hops with an all too balanced malt backbone (at least for this hop head)

Taste: As the nose revealed, an all too well balanced IPA. Not a citrusy aftertaste at all, mostly grass and pine, which is still pleasant, but not what I was looking for. The caramel malts play well with the hops, but I was after something different.

Mouthfeel: A little high on the carbonation in my opinion. It really explodes on the tongue once it hits. A little chewy, but a medium bodied beer. The alcohol is making its appearance, but it's fairly well hidden.

Drinkability: Not that I have easy access to this beer anyways, but I don't think I'd pick this up again. It's a good beer, worth trying, but didn't live up to my expectations given the great reviews it's gotten on BA.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

The Hop Ottin' pours a hazy golden-orange with a large, frothy white head that has good retention and lacing.

The aroma is appealing floral hops with some subtle, almost caramel sweetness.

The taste is some slightly sweet caramel malts initially, and then bang! come the bitter hops. It follows with a strong, bitter, lingering aftertaste. It's medium bodied and the bitterness coats your mouth.

Overall, a decent IPA. I thought it could have used more balance. I tend to prefer IPAs with more citrus tones and less of a bitter aftertaste. This was much more bitter in the bottle than I remember from drinking it on tap.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 3 Floyds pint glass.

A- Lots of carbonation, 3 fingers off white head, dissipates slowly, leaves big bubbles on the side of the glass, great lacing, clear dark orange color.
S- The hop aromas are very hidden, malts and breadiness take over the aroma, slight hints of grapefruit and pine.
T- Slight bitterness, pretty sweet tasting, this IPA is VERY malty and bready, hops are hidden, slight pine and citrus comes out in the aftertaste.
M- Medium mouthfeel, not very carbonated, from the first pour I was expecting it to be fairly carbonated.
O- Was not impressed by this brew, really malty, hops are basically gone, I was very turned off by the first taste, but as worked my way through this beer it wasn’t too bad, not my favorite but glad to try it.

3.29/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Respectable high head, interesting bubble-size variety, slow pullback, textbook cling. Amber, tending slightly to orange, with a very slight haze.

The aroma is an indistinct, unexciting but unobjectionable vegetable/hops amalgam, prefacing a nice, earthy, hoppy taste that, while not complex, goes down well. This is a stalwart, if not stellar, IPA. What's not to like?

3.27/5  rDev -18%

Rich honey pour with a light head. Smell was very big soapy hops. Taste was equally well hopped, with only a very light sweetness to it. Medium bitterness to it that lingers a while. A quality, definitely far hoppier than average IPA. A lot of beers mellow out or change a bit as it warms, but to me this one was just as bitter and big on hops from the 1st to the last sip. This was good, but 12oz of this is about my limit.

3.27/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 12oz can into a plastic pint glass at Taco Asylum in Costa Mesa, Calif. Reviewed from notes.

A- Two finger off-white head. Long retention, creamy head. Orange-brown color. Nice carbonation and lacing. Some particles floating about. Thin lacing.

S- Strong, bitter citrusy hops, grapefruit and bitter citrus. Caramel malts peek through at the end of the smell. Sugary as well.

T- Bittering hop forward with a solid malt backbone. Sweet flavors finish off.

M- Medium in body, maybe a tad over-carbonated and a dry finish.

O- Hoppy and medium bodied IPA. Not great, but no weakness.

3.27/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I liked it. I generally don't drink IPAs, but the hops were bold and satisfying. Being 7% I couldn't drink a 6 pack of them, but I wouldn't mind one or two with a piece of hearty fish or a cheese plate. Probably one of the best I've had from Anderson Valley besides the Heelch.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company