Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

4.5

Ratings: 3,186 |  Reviews: 1,237

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Had a sixer of this just today out in the yard, doing some work. Poured the reviewing beer into a pint glass.

Appearance: Standard IPA look. Amber golden profile with a pretty solid lacing, but nothing especially amazing.

Smell: Different than I expected. There are definitely hops present in the nose, but I smelled a light citrus but more than anything there was an apple juice-like smell.

Taste: Again, not a very expected taste. It was kind of inside-out IPA, with the hops taste hitting the palate quick and fading fast to a more malty finish with big notes of sweeter honey-citrus in the main flavoring. Upon further review, I just don't love the lack of hops here. I find myself wishing for more and feeling like the maltiness, while enjoyable, needs more of a hop partner.

Mouthfeel: Not very dry like an IPA, even though the alcohol is 7%. The masking is pretty effective, as it tastes a bit lighter than say Stone or Green Flash's West Coast IPA, but still carries the 7. It's more creamy than dry, which is just a bit different from my standard IPA.

Drinkability: Again, it's light for a 7, and I've had more than 3 today just throughout the afternoon. Certainly sessionable and a nice IPA for a summer day.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

I went out and tried all of the Alstom Bros 100 rated American IPA's I could find. I live in Lexington KY so I do not have access to many, but I do travel and have tried beers from all over the country. In my latest taste test I decided to pit several of the 100 point Alstom Bros American IPA's against each other. The candidates: Anderson Hop Ottin', Smuttynose, Dark Horse Crooked Tree, Victory Hop Devil, Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point.

I have had Sculpin and the Hop Devil on tap in their local region before and I love them both. Out of the bottle the Sculpin holds up, but time and time again I am disappointed in Hop Devil. It was good, but far far from 100 point rating. That is a head scratcher.

Now for Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin'. As someone who moved to the Bluegrass from California i want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess this brewery and me are not on the same page. This was decent, but far from perfect. I had the good fortune to have a Zombie Dust recently and that is perfect. That the Alstrom Bros rated this beer better than Zombie Dust makes me question every review they conduct. It poured a carmel color, with a nice head. The hop character did not remind me of typical west coast IPA's like Sculpin, Stone, or Sierra. It was malty, had a depressed hop presence, and while tasty, it did not live up to the hype by any shape, way or form. Quite frankly, it was mediocre. Kind of like having someone tell you how great a movie is but you end up bummed out.

My favorite hoppy American pales or IPA's to date:
1) Zombie Dust
2) Flower Power
3) Sculpin
4) Firestone
5) Ninkasi Total Domination
6) Sierra Celebration
7) Victory Hop Devil (on tap, not bottle)
8) Lagunitas