Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by pezoids on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,225 | Ratings: 3,113
3.83/5  rDev -4%

Pours a golden copper color with 2 fingers worth of head. The head recedes with time, but a nice layer stays on top the entire way down.

Smells of sweet malt and hops. Not an overpowering smell at all, very smooth.

Tastes of sweet malt with some floral and grassy hops. Has a very slight grapefuit citrusyness to is. Finishes with a slight bitterness, but not too much.

Mouthfeel is slick and medium bodied. Doesn't bruise the tongue.

Drinkability is high. This is a good tasting IPA that's not too strong on the hops. An earlier reviewer mentioned "It reaches the edges on many attributes but never steps over." which I completely agree with.

Overall, this is a solid beer, one I wouldn't hesitate to have again. Not nearly as good as some of my favorite IPAs, but I got more than I was expecting after never having heard of the brewing company.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Deep amber color and a large creamy head. The aroma is powerful: take your pick - spicy or floral or grapefruit. Some malty undertones. There is an initial sweetness, then the hops kick in followed by a bitter finish to wake you up. Well balanced though.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass. Pours a beautifully hazy copper, orange color with a nice creamy head that leaves good lacing.

Possesses some nice piney and citrus hop aromas, but not too overwhelming from an IPA.

Has a nice assertive bitterness without going overboard. Has a slightly malty sweetness and a bready taste though the bitterness lasts on the back of your tongue.

Good mouthfeel as it coats your mouth nicely and has a lasting taste. It's a shame this isn't distributed in Louisiana because it was a very enjoyable beer.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured refrigerator cold into an american pint glass.

Pour - Easy pour, solid one finger lacy head that films around the edges of the glass and recedes rather quickly. Color is straight copper, clear as day and has a medium carb. Oddly enough the smell is almost non-existent on the pour, which is odd for an american IPA, in my opinion.

Smell - again, not as overwhelming as I'm used to with this style of beer. Nose is a 50/50 split of earthy malts and floral hops. A little citrusy with a hint of spice. Kind of low key.

Taste - absolutely excellent. A great hop kick on top of a substantial, but not overdone, pale malt foundation. I'm guessing cascade hops because of the pine, coriander, orange and pepper notes. A hint of alcohol as well.

Mouthfeel - a great medium-light body with a good carbo profile. Falls pretty well in line with the style as far as mouthfeel in that it doesn't overpower, and really lets the flavors do their thing. I'm really impressed with this beer.

Drinkability - 100% session IPA. Not crazy like some of the other American IPA's I've had. Doesnt overdo it, yet is a great offering for the hop-heads.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

WOW! An unexpected sight. Thick creamy head & lacing that stayed in the glass long after the brew was consumed. Burnt orange colour was very appealing.

Smell is delicious sweet grapefruity hops.

Malty upfront with a spicy pine aftertaste. WOW! (again). The balance is tremendous with the bready sweet malt & grapefruit bite.

Overall LOVE this brew.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

had this in a can, poured into a glass.

color was great, a deep, cloudy amber.

head was great, poured an inch at least, and laced very well.

smell, for me, was hard to pick up. nothing jumped out at me as the IBUs would suggest.

Taste was very flavorful. started with a piney hops taste, then had a bitter dry feel, then a bold malt flavor. finished dry and bitter.

it had a full feel to it.

overall, as a hop head, i think i expected too much when i saw "80 IBU". to me it had more of a malty characteristic. the flavor was good, very well crafted, but not what i was expecting. a solid offering, but not for the hop head.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

I poured this bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer was a hazy amber color, very rich and pleasing with about an inch of head. The lacing on the side of the glass was thick and stuck around throughout the beer. The smell was strong hops, tough to pick out anything but those hops. The taste, as the smell predicted was pure hoppy goodness. There were some slight traces of malt, but the hops dominate this one. Mouthfeel was solid. The alcohol is well hidden, I had no idea it was 7% until I looked at the bottle a little more carefully. Not the easiest brew in the world to drink, I would say one or two of these is plenty. Excellent IPA, one of my favorites to date.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a dark, hazy copper. Plenty of head and lacing down the glass. Nose doesn't speak of the usual IPA hoppiness. The smell is more malty/musty than anything else. No floral or citrus notes despite what the back of the bottle says. The taste is very nutty and bitter without any of the floral notes or citrus that make American IPA's so much fun. The mouthfeel is OK and the drinkability is low for me: too harsh without any acidity that makes me thirsty for more. This one is not for me, but all tastes are subjective.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Picked this little number up on a whim. Poured a deep orange color nice white head. The smell brings a slightly astringent floral front with some dense fruit and hops after. Nice balance on the tongue. a bit of a tingle. A slight alcohol burn in the front but it is quickly balanced out with some nice tamgerine and hops. Nice middile of the road IPA Would drink it again.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A: Very nice color... 14kt gold, pours with a creamy dense head that sticks to the glass like glue. Very impressive.

S: Immediately picked up grapes, almost wine-like aroma. Pine, and citrus wafting in there as well along with melon. It will clear out your sinuses.

T: Just perfect bitterness with a blend of complex flavors. Floral, citrus, and hop all blend together well, but are equally represented.

M: The blend of flavors just makes this one feel spot-on. Not too dry, not too heavy either.

D: I can't believe it took me so long to try this IPA. I always look at Anderson Valley different with a much higher price tag, now I know why. This is one of the best American IPAs I have tried in a long time. I will definitely be back to pay the extra moolah for such a great IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +17.8%

It has been said about this beer more than once, but balance is it's greatest strength. I think this is the best balanced IPA I have ever had with much more malt flavor than most to balance out the hoppiness.

The smell and appearance or good for an IPA. But the taste and drinkability are exceptional!

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

This IPA has a very hoppy aroma. It has a citrus taste that lingers long after taking a sip. Overall it is pretty bitter in comparison to IPA's from other regions (such as Bridgeport).

I would definitely recommend to others who enjoy American IPA's with a good bite that tend towards the more bitter side

3.26/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The nose in this beer is a bit lacking for a west coast IPA, but the beer is actually really well balanced. Subtle notes of mustier hops (woodsy, pine, resin) are overwhelmed by sweeter malts. As far as the palate, hops only come through in the same earthy bitterness, while the malt flavors really shine. A good beer, but it won't be my go to IPA in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

In reviewing this beer, I have to admit that I am not a big hophead. IPA is not my preferred style, though I can enjoy one just fine, as I did this one. This is definitely one of the better IPAs I have tried. Beautiful dark orangish-amber with a decent-sized, sticky head, The entire glass maintained a good lacing, all the way to the last swallow. I was impressed when I was hit by the sharp aroma of hops as I brought the glass to my nose--it was a good premonition of the taste to come. Good, strong, burnt hoppy flavor that had a nice bite and a crisp edge to it. Like I said, I'm not big into IPA, so I'm trying to be fair, because I really did thing it was a well-made brew.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

-Poured from a bomber-

Orange/Amber coloring that lead a big frothy white head that dissipated into a nice lacing.

A nice hop aroma comes in first but is wonderfully met by sweet bready malt. The hops are not as prevalent in the aroma as they are in other IPA's, but the hops that are present bring forth a very herbal/resiny/piney scent. There's a certain sweetness that I can't put my finger on. A leafy sweetness if that makes any sort of sense to you (maybe after finishing a bomber?)

The taste is quite interesting (in a very positive way). Again, the hops come in first with a citrus/piney/herbal taste. It's big on hop flavor but it's paired greatly with a nice sweet malt body. In the end, it's all about the hops. While it's not as bitter as others, the hop flavor is spotlighted. There's a ton of fruity esters to be found.

Full bodied on the palate, almost creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.

It's drinkable, just be careful with it. Has a great (and interesting) hop character.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Murky. Burnt orange. Huge fluffy head.

S: Floral, resin, pine, caramel, malt

T: Sweet, floral and caramel upfront. Actually quite a bit of floral. A sweeter IPA but ends with with a resiny quality (though not a punch to the taste buds). ABV is very well hidden.

M: On the thinner side for me.

O: A very good IPA. I enjoyed it and will enjoy another one.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tonight I am comparing several different IPA's that are all poured from a can. In addition to this one, I am tasting Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperendi IPA, Santa Fe Brewing Happy Camper IPA and Marble Brewery IPA.

Poured from a can into a tall tulip glass, this is a dark amber with a slightly cloudy appearance and bubbly head about 1/2 inch thick. The aroma is sweet citrus hops with a hint of pine, and the flavor is similar, but with a nice balance of malt to complement the hops. Aftertaste is slightly sweet, slightly piney, not bitter at all.

I was not familiar with this brewery before tonight, but will definitely look for this brew again, and will try some of their other offerings!

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - low intensity for the style. Floral and malty.

Taste - semi sweet grapefruit with medium bitterness and generic maltyness. Pleasant, but not impressive.

Overall - middle of the road, conservative IPA.

2.99/5  rDev -25.1%

My first review!

Having spent the last couple of months working my way through the hop monsters available in my area, I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately I was not impressed.

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Looked to have been on the shelf for some time as evidenced by a good layer of dust. Poured into a 12 oz tulip/goblet hybrid glass.

A- Looked good, nice medium red, a little cloudier than I've seen in other offerings. Reasonable head after aggresssive pour that didn't last long.

S- Nice at first, citrus and hoppy but turned slighty musty (malty?) after a few minutes in the glass

T- The first sip was pleasant, even very good. I had a couple of my first HopDevils the night before and thought I was on the same track. After a few sips however, a distinctly musty character presented itself. I thought to blame in on the sharp cheddar I had just had and even went so far as to rinse my mouth out with distilled water and try again, but it would not go away.

M- Spread across the palate in a big way. Didn't seem as strong as the 7% indicated.

D- Not good. Had to force my way through a second bottle which I opened to be sure the first wasn't a bad example.

I guess I may be spoiled by my earlier experiences with Alpha King, HopDevil and my new found obsession with DFH 90 minute, but I would not drink this one again. The remaining four bottles will go to future guests.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Aroma: Complex with prominent floral aroma, malt, piney and grassy notes.

Appearance: Deep copper with white creamy head with thick lacing. The head persist providing a little head with every swallow.

Flavor: The initial taste whacks you in the pallet with hoppy goodness, I could taste the hops. As the beer is drank the strong malt back bone surfaces, providing the canvass that showcases the American hops.

Mouth feel: Full body with a bitter finish that leaves the impression of a crisper body

Overall Impression: It's the classic American IPA. Big hops with a strong malt back bone that compliment the other. This is beer that has a strong well balanced flavor, and drink-ability. I plan to try others beers from the brewery.

4.23/5  rDev +6%

I typically pick-up a few Hop Ottin IPA's by Anderson Valley Brewing Company of Boonville, Ca when I go to a State booze/brew store in Utah. This is one very delicious bottle; If you love a flowery yet smooth brew that'll have you bowing before the hop gods, then get ya some Hop Ottin'!

Hop Ottin' is a darker IPA, but it carries an orange color. It pours a bit syrupy which is a pure hint of the mouth feel; you'll enjoy rocky head that'll paint your glass with come basic lacing. This one pours a large and creamy head. Very nice IPA head.

Now for the good stuff; the hops in this Anderson Valley offering are scrumptious. The flavor and mouth feel that you'll get from this beer is much more than you may expect after simply giving it a whiff. There's just enough malt to make it a pleasant drink, but this one's about the hops and the brew master didn't try to hard to make it an overly complex beer and made a beer that you'll want to actually drink. The moderately strong carbonation leands itself nicely to this hoppolicious drink. The acid and alcohol are nicely balanced as well.

Final word - make yourself one of the lucky ones and getcha some!

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Dark Gold, light orange and clear. Head was foamy and leaves lacing that hangs.

S- Average for an IPA. Somewhat hoppy smell, doesn't blow your mind but you know that there are hops in it.

T- A little thin. Has a semi-dry crispness. The hop vs. malt balance is 65/35. The hop taste is a "middle of the road" taste. Alcohol taste is not apparent, which is nice.

M- Front end is mild and the mid does not stand out. The back end is where the hoppiness hits. Nice.

D- Very Drinkable...nothing left hooks you...a nice entry level Calli IPA.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle left a one finger head with pretty good retention and some lacing. Pretty dark, burnt orange/brown.

Smells fairly citrusy, toasty malts. Doesn't really hit you in the face; could be a little more aromatic. However, it still is pleasantly grassy and hop-forward.

Good clean and refreshing pale maltiness and hop bitterness is nice. There is mineral quality that hangs around for a second on the palate, sort of a coppery quality. Finishes with a mouth-coating bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, much more like a pale ale.

I think if someone had told me this was a Pale Ale I would have enjoyed it more, for some reason. The hops are nice but they aren't particularly bold. Still, Hop Ottin is very clean and very refreshing.

3.79/5  rDev -5%

Hop Ottin' IPA ABV: 7%

A: golden, orange with a hint of red color to it. Leaves a very minimal head that falls to a soap like foam on top of the beer. Decent lacing that stays on the glass throughout the enjoyment of the beer.

S: To me, it doesn't have much of a smell. Therefore, that is why I graded it kind of low. From what I can smell, it has a scent of floral/grassy hops and sort of a citrus scent.

T: The taste is pretty hoppy, but not overwelming. Leaves a bitter aftertaste. Can taste minimal malts. Not much of a citrus taste like the smell, but can definitely taste the floral hops.

M: The flavors go together fairly well. I am enjoying the mouthful of the beer. Not too overpowering and not underpowered either (more of in taste)

D: I will drink this beer again. I almost bought a six pack of it. However, never trying it, i wanted to make sure I would like it. Next time I may buy the six pack.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Nice orange color and good head, sweet malt, piney flavor, slightly too bitter at the end and a little soapy, blah di blah di blah

Has a bear-a-lope on the label of the bottle (for those of you who have only seen the critter in a drunken stupor its half grizzly bear, half antelope) and funny jokes on the inside of the cap. Its also from a solar powered brewery.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company