Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,231 | Ratings: 3,142
4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer was kindly gifted to me in a 12oz bottle.

It pours a rich copper with little head.

The nose is very floral. The brewery mentions roses and that’s what you’ll smell.

The 80 IBUs are right up front, nicely bitter, light citrus and pine in the middle and a crisp floral finish.

Well carbonated and an excellent, heavy feel in your mouth. The heavy feel makes me think there would be more sweetness to it, and if you give the beer a chance to warm just a little you’ll get a light malt sweetness.

Excellent beer. Would drink more but my jerk friend only gave me one.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I was lusting over this beer for so long. Unfortunately, the only place in Indiana that carried it stopped carrying it before I could try it. Surprisingly I found it in a small liquor store in Cincinnati, and bought this and 3 other Anderson Valley offerings. Although not the most remarkable IPA, it was definitely high up there within price range. Hops are a bit unruly without enough malts to back them up and balance things out, but this only magnifies the piny and grapefruit hops that comprise this IPA. If you're able to try this brew, I highly suggest it!

3.81/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured out of a 12oz can

A - lovely head and lacing. Very clear, without the normal hazy/oily look of a beer hop this generously.

S- Not hugely aromatic but smells of spicy hops.

T- very spicy/herbal hop flavors. Makes me think a lot of Columbus late and dry hopping. Very nice. The spicy/herbal tends to dominate any citrus or floral notes but it's still very nice.

M - very good. Nice prickly carbonation and plenty of girth to the beer without being chewy.

D - Could session this beer all day long. I like big hoppy beers and this fills the bill. Very nice

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful orange/raw honey color, with very stubborn amber-tinged head.

Lots of pine and citrus in the nose.

Bitter hops, pine oil, and just a hint of sweet malt. Delicious.

Feels quite full-bodied, with an oily finish. Carbonation keeps it honest.

Abundant hoppiness might put off the uninitiated, but there's a wonderful well-rounded quality here that makes this one mighty easy to drink.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

I had about 12 bottles of this truly remarkable IPA. This is a very drinkable IPA with fresh floral and grassy hops that start from the aroma and continue to persist through the aftertaste. If this beer wasn't so expensive compared to the rest of the Colorado IPA's I'm surrounded by, I would probably by this IPA the majority of the time.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Dark amber color, two finger foam white head. Great lacing. It felt as if it stayed on the glass for ages

S - The aroma of hops almost knocked me back. Great smelling beer. Very hoppy smell with a hint of malt towards the end. I got a lot of pine smell out of it with a little bit of citrus. Very piney smell overall.

T- Excellent taste, bitter and quite sweet. Signs of malt but again, the presence of pine was overwhelming. Fantastic finish as well.

M - A little bubbly and medium body I would say. Not extremely heavy.

O - Wonderful beer. Honestly, I was blown away. This is one of the best IPA's I have had the pleasure of trying. Will definitely get this beer again.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Pours a golden copper color with 2 fingers worth of head. The head recedes with time, but a nice layer stays on top the entire way down.

Smells of sweet malt and hops. Not an overpowering smell at all, very smooth.

Tastes of sweet malt with some floral and grassy hops. Has a very slight grapefuit citrusyness to is. Finishes with a slight bitterness, but not too much.

Mouthfeel is slick and medium bodied. Doesn't bruise the tongue.

Drinkability is high. This is a good tasting IPA that's not too strong on the hops. An earlier reviewer mentioned "It reaches the edges on many attributes but never steps over." which I completely agree with.

Overall, this is a solid beer, one I wouldn't hesitate to have again. Not nearly as good as some of my favorite IPAs, but I got more than I was expecting after never having heard of the brewing company.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Deep amber color and a large creamy head. The aroma is powerful: take your pick - spicy or floral or grapefruit. Some malty undertones. There is an initial sweetness, then the hops kick in followed by a bitter finish to wake you up. Well balanced though.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass. Pours a beautifully hazy copper, orange color with a nice creamy head that leaves good lacing.

Possesses some nice piney and citrus hop aromas, but not too overwhelming from an IPA.

Has a nice assertive bitterness without going overboard. Has a slightly malty sweetness and a bready taste though the bitterness lasts on the back of your tongue.

Good mouthfeel as it coats your mouth nicely and has a lasting taste. It's a shame this isn't distributed in Louisiana because it was a very enjoyable beer.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured refrigerator cold into an american pint glass.

Pour - Easy pour, solid one finger lacy head that films around the edges of the glass and recedes rather quickly. Color is straight copper, clear as day and has a medium carb. Oddly enough the smell is almost non-existent on the pour, which is odd for an american IPA, in my opinion.

Smell - again, not as overwhelming as I'm used to with this style of beer. Nose is a 50/50 split of earthy malts and floral hops. A little citrusy with a hint of spice. Kind of low key.

Taste - absolutely excellent. A great hop kick on top of a substantial, but not overdone, pale malt foundation. I'm guessing cascade hops because of the pine, coriander, orange and pepper notes. A hint of alcohol as well.

Mouthfeel - a great medium-light body with a good carbo profile. Falls pretty well in line with the style as far as mouthfeel in that it doesn't overpower, and really lets the flavors do their thing. I'm really impressed with this beer.

Drinkability - 100% session IPA. Not crazy like some of the other American IPA's I've had. Doesnt overdo it, yet is a great offering for the hop-heads.

Skol!

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

WOW! An unexpected sight. Thick creamy head & lacing that stayed in the glass long after the brew was consumed. Burnt orange colour was very appealing.

Smell is delicious sweet grapefruity hops.

Malty upfront with a spicy pine aftertaste. WOW! (again). The balance is tremendous with the bready sweet malt & grapefruit bite.

Overall LOVE this brew.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

had this in a can, poured into a glass.

color was great, a deep, cloudy amber.

head was great, poured an inch at least, and laced very well.

smell, for me, was hard to pick up. nothing jumped out at me as the IBUs would suggest.

Taste was very flavorful. started with a piney hops taste, then had a bitter dry feel, then a bold malt flavor. finished dry and bitter.

it had a full feel to it.

overall, as a hop head, i think i expected too much when i saw "80 IBU". to me it had more of a malty characteristic. the flavor was good, very well crafted, but not what i was expecting. a solid offering, but not for the hop head.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

I poured this bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer was a hazy amber color, very rich and pleasing with about an inch of head. The lacing on the side of the glass was thick and stuck around throughout the beer. The smell was strong hops, tough to pick out anything but those hops. The taste, as the smell predicted was pure hoppy goodness. There were some slight traces of malt, but the hops dominate this one. Mouthfeel was solid. The alcohol is well hidden, I had no idea it was 7% until I looked at the bottle a little more carefully. Not the easiest brew in the world to drink, I would say one or two of these is plenty. Excellent IPA, one of my favorites to date.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a dark, hazy copper. Plenty of head and lacing down the glass. Nose doesn't speak of the usual IPA hoppiness. The smell is more malty/musty than anything else. No floral or citrus notes despite what the back of the bottle says. The taste is very nutty and bitter without any of the floral notes or citrus that make American IPA's so much fun. The mouthfeel is OK and the drinkability is low for me: too harsh without any acidity that makes me thirsty for more. This one is not for me, but all tastes are subjective.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Picked this little number up on a whim. Poured a deep orange color nice white head. The smell brings a slightly astringent floral front with some dense fruit and hops after. Nice balance on the tongue. a bit of a tingle. A slight alcohol burn in the front but it is quickly balanced out with some nice tamgerine and hops. Nice middile of the road IPA Would drink it again.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A: Very nice color... 14kt gold, pours with a creamy dense head that sticks to the glass like glue. Very impressive.

S: Immediately picked up grapes, almost wine-like aroma. Pine, and citrus wafting in there as well along with melon. It will clear out your sinuses.

T: Just perfect bitterness with a blend of complex flavors. Floral, citrus, and hop all blend together well, but are equally represented.

M: The blend of flavors just makes this one feel spot-on. Not too dry, not too heavy either.

D: I can't believe it took me so long to try this IPA. I always look at Anderson Valley different with a much higher price tag, now I know why. This is one of the best American IPAs I have tried in a long time. I will definitely be back to pay the extra moolah for such a great IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +17.8%

It has been said about this beer more than once, but balance is it's greatest strength. I think this is the best balanced IPA I have ever had with much more malt flavor than most to balance out the hoppiness.

The smell and appearance or good for an IPA. But the taste and drinkability are exceptional!

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

This IPA has a very hoppy aroma. It has a citrus taste that lingers long after taking a sip. Overall it is pretty bitter in comparison to IPA's from other regions (such as Bridgeport).

I would definitely recommend to others who enjoy American IPA's with a good bite that tend towards the more bitter side

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a rich golden copper, topped by a creamy head leaving lacing that lingers longer than many IPA's. It also shows consistent active bubbling. The smell is mildly reflective of earthy spring pine needles, and perhaps grapefruit. It fills the mouth with a full frothy front load, and a slightly astringent dry finish, a perfect blend of malt and hops. That quality is also present in the taste - the dry hoppy flavor of an IPA, but a warm unexpected malt balance with hints of toasted carmel. To me, this beer straddles the line of an IPA and a top notch Amber. I love Hop Ottin.

3.26/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The nose in this beer is a bit lacking for a west coast IPA, but the beer is actually really well balanced. Subtle notes of mustier hops (woodsy, pine, resin) are overwhelmed by sweeter malts. As far as the palate, hops only come through in the same earthy bitterness, while the malt flavors really shine. A good beer, but it won't be my go to IPA in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

In reviewing this beer, I have to admit that I am not a big hophead. IPA is not my preferred style, though I can enjoy one just fine, as I did this one. This is definitely one of the better IPAs I have tried. Beautiful dark orangish-amber with a decent-sized, sticky head, The entire glass maintained a good lacing, all the way to the last swallow. I was impressed when I was hit by the sharp aroma of hops as I brought the glass to my nose--it was a good premonition of the taste to come. Good, strong, burnt hoppy flavor that had a nice bite and a crisp edge to it. Like I said, I'm not big into IPA, so I'm trying to be fair, because I really did thing it was a well-made brew.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

-Poured from a bomber-

Orange/Amber coloring that lead a big frothy white head that dissipated into a nice lacing.

A nice hop aroma comes in first but is wonderfully met by sweet bready malt. The hops are not as prevalent in the aroma as they are in other IPA's, but the hops that are present bring forth a very herbal/resiny/piney scent. There's a certain sweetness that I can't put my finger on. A leafy sweetness if that makes any sort of sense to you (maybe after finishing a bomber?)

The taste is quite interesting (in a very positive way). Again, the hops come in first with a citrus/piney/herbal taste. It's big on hop flavor but it's paired greatly with a nice sweet malt body. In the end, it's all about the hops. While it's not as bitter as others, the hop flavor is spotlighted. There's a ton of fruity esters to be found.

Full bodied on the palate, almost creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.

It's drinkable, just be careful with it. Has a great (and interesting) hop character.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Murky. Burnt orange. Huge fluffy head.

S: Floral, resin, pine, caramel, malt

T: Sweet, floral and caramel upfront. Actually quite a bit of floral. A sweeter IPA but ends with with a resiny quality (though not a punch to the taste buds). ABV is very well hidden.

M: On the thinner side for me.

O: A very good IPA. I enjoyed it and will enjoy another one.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tonight I am comparing several different IPA's that are all poured from a can. In addition to this one, I am tasting Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperendi IPA, Santa Fe Brewing Happy Camper IPA and Marble Brewery IPA.

Poured from a can into a tall tulip glass, this is a dark amber with a slightly cloudy appearance and bubbly head about 1/2 inch thick. The aroma is sweet citrus hops with a hint of pine, and the flavor is similar, but with a nice balance of malt to complement the hops. Aftertaste is slightly sweet, slightly piney, not bitter at all.

I was not familiar with this brewery before tonight, but will definitely look for this brew again, and will try some of their other offerings!

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - low intensity for the style. Floral and malty.

Taste - semi sweet grapefruit with medium bitterness and generic maltyness. Pleasant, but not impressive.

Overall - middle of the road, conservative IPA.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company