Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

The deep ebony color, voluptuous mahogany head and bold, roasty flavors in our Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout are what serious beer drinkers expect from this style. Aromas of freshly baked bread, espresso, and dried cherries meld seamlessly with rich toffee flavors and a creamy mouth feel to create an unparalleled drinking experience.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001

Ratings: 2,576 |  Reviews: 1,000

1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

1.66/5  rDev -58.9%

1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

2.17/5  rDev -46.3%

Disclaimer: I had this beer immediately after an IPA; maybe my taste buds are screwed up?

My server poured it in a pint glass and it has no head at all; maybe how she poured it. Accordingly it looks flat and thin. And perfect black. The smell is sweet and has a smell of fermenting fruits. The taste is just bizarre to me: there is a taste of almost vinegar on the back of the tongue. It's different for sure. Maybe it's some kind of a Belgian style? Definitely not my cup of tea.

2.21/5  rDev -45.3%

Not quite sure how this beer got such a high rating. I found it to be unexpectedly sour as if it had turned. Thankfully, it was part of a beer exchange and I only have one left. I'll use it in the smoker to add moisture.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

2.3/5  rDev -43.1%

Esta cerveza sabe a culo compas no la beban

2.32/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A: Dark brown coloring, fairly subtle tan-colored head.

S: Actually, not much here. I'm getting a slight roasted malt / coffee smell, but that's about it.

T: Shockingly bland. I'm getting a slight roasted malt flavor profile, but that's about it. Perhaps the bottle is old?

M: Very thin and watery.

D: This is shickingly bland and light - not at all what I expected. That being said, I rated drinkability higher than most other metrics as one could session this beer if one wanted to.

This was not good, which shocked me. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, as the vast majority of reviews of this beer are very high. I have one bottle remaining, but that could be old as well. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I ever get my hands on a fresh sample and then see what I think.

2.43/5  rDev -39.9%

This beer pours a very dark color with a moderately fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is a burned malt and coffee smell. The flavor has a very unnecessary hop character with the most prominent flavor being the roasted malts and coffee. I really did not enjoy this beer because it reminded me more of a porter than it did a sweet stout. The hops gave it a bite where it should have been smooth and easy to drink.

2.47/5  rDev -38.9%

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No date.

Appearance - Black body. Medium brown head. Low retention. decent stick.

Smell - thin. Faint soy sauce. Not promising.

Taste - Oatmeal. Thin. Some alcohol. Stale coffee. Some bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Some effervescence but pretty mild.

Overall Drinkability - Very plain. Characters are very mild and almost imperceptible. No off characters though.

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

Flavor is disappointing: more like a porter than a stout. Even a hint of Budweiser.
Nice color, pours great.

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

After one taste, (maybe two), I poured the other two bottles down the drain. For sure I promise not to rate any Anderson Valley Beers. Because I'll never buy another one of there beers again. Five tasted and not one rated above 2 (average).

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company