Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

The deep ebony color, voluptuous mahogany head and bold, roasty flavors in our Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout are what serious beer drinkers expect from this style. Aromas of freshly baked bread, espresso, and dried cherries meld seamlessly with rich toffee flavors and a creamy mouth feel to create an unparalleled drinking experience.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001

Ratings: 2,572 |  Reviews: 998
2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours a viscous dark brown with 1 and half fingers of head. I smell grains and wet cardboard. Smells dusty and metallic. Taste started off metallic at first. I then get a light flavor of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Finish is mostly coffee with a little bit of hops. Not that bitter. The flavor seems pretty fleeting. The mouthfeel is solidly medium. A little silky, not quite creamy. Not too impressed here. I know this beer is only 5.7% but the flavors aren't really strong enough to keep me interested

2.56/5  rDev -36.6%

2.62/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.73/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured into a pint glass, nice inch and a half of foam. Beer is dark, dark deep brown almost black color, and smells like roasted coffee.

Has a nice full mouthfeel on first taste, good strong roasted malt with very strong coffee notes, nice but not aggressive hop finish which fades pretty quickly. Carbonation is fine, as it warms a little more flavors come into play, but the dominant one is the slight coffee taste.

Overall, it's actually kind of bland, I think, as much as I want to like it, I find myself wishing for a Russian Imperial stout. I have a case and I probably wouldn't buy it again. It's not offensive in any way, but nothing special either.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

I've tried bottles on both coasts and both times there was something sour I didn't like.

a: Looks good, a very dark brown with no highlights. It pours with a thick, light brown head, decent retention.

s: I got roasty, cocoa malts and some grainy sweetness. There is a little something sour underneath though.

t: That sourness is more pronounced here. All the elements of a good oatmeal stout are here, but I can't get past that sourdough bread/cheap coffee flavor. It just doesn't work for me in this one.

m: Feels right, smooth silky body and gentle but active carbonation.

d: I've tried these 3,000 miles and 6 months apart. Not for me.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

Almost black in color, with a light brown head, one finger. Ok.
A bit strange smell, with light metallic notes. Under that, some toasted notes, light, and oat, creamy.
A bit better taste, malty notes, toasted. Again a hint of metallic, cereals.
Not completely satysfating, even in the aftertaste.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim. Poured from an undated bottle to a pint glass.

A - Poured from undated 12oz brown bottle to a pint glass. The beer pours a deep dark black color with a dark brown mahogany edge. A nice 1 finger dark tan head with decent retention and nice lacing.

S - The first thing I notice is a dominant raisin character, which I didn't expect. A medium roast character also present with a hint of light earthy hop character. But a lot of raisin.

T - Just like the nose the raisin flavor dominates from the get go enveloping the palette with a thick syrupy character that lasts through the finish. A mild bitterness with the earthy hops. Though the roast malt takes a back seat to the sweet raisin flavor. Disappointing.

M - Despite the raisin-dominated flavor the mouthfeel was good. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry.

O - Never had a stout like this. As Oatmeal Stouts are one of my favorites I was really looking forward to this but supremely disappointed. I am not a fan of raisins and don't get the flavor. Based on the ratings I suppose this bottle could be mishandled or old. I would give it another shot but this one was weak sauce.

Reviewed on: 03-31-2011 02:04:30

2.9/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours very dark, almost black with a nice tan head.

Very light, sweet creamed coffee nose. Simple and elegant and not real assertive.

Very thin mouthfeel, very watery and with little character.

Flavors were light coffee; simple coffee if not watered down coffee. This beer had almost no character; almost no flavor and was simply very weak and unimpressive.

I tried it twice and the foregoing was consistent both times. (Perhaps I was poured from a bad keg. I don't know. I do know that this beer was less than impressive.)

2.94/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

L:
-pours the darkest of brown with a medium,foamy,beige head
S:
grainy,oats,chocolate,mocha,licorice
T:
-Follows the nose plus some roasty coffee and no licorice
F:
-light,watery body
-medium carbonation
O:
I like my Stouts to taste fuller.

2.95/5  rDev -27%

Have to start by saying this is a very complex beer ... not really sure if it is an oatmeal stout, a sweet stout or an imperial stout.

Color was Black w a thick brown head that lasted fairly well. Aroma was VERY hoppy at first before dissipating only slightly (don't get me wrong, I love hops, but not really to style hence lower rating). Hints of chocolate and mouthfeel was oily as an oatmeal stout should be. Beer was smooth at first but turned very bitter at the finish.... Also noticed alcohol as it sat and warmed a bit (like an Imperial Stout).

As they say on the bottle "recommend as a nightcap." I could prob drink a few but certainly not a session beer as I like in most oatmeal stouts.

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Black and a dark creamy head.

Smell: Almost too much going on here. Dark chocolate comes across backed up by a good dose of hops and then there's a distinct smokiness.

Taste: Way too smokey and not in the way that I like. Smoke is about the only thing I can taste for a good while, way into the aftertaste, until the bittersweet chocolate pulls through. I usually don't like this chocolate flavor either, but in this case I welcome it.

Mouthfeel: Great. Thick and rich but also nice and tingly.

Drinkability: I can finish it but I couldn't stomach another.

Beef Notes: I'd say this is a good example of a bad use of smoke flavor in beer. If it wasn't for that, this would probably be a fine beer. Since it is for that, I will not be drinking this beer again any time soon.

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%

A bit thin and weak for me!

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

Overall: A bit disappointed given the ranking this receives. Not objectionable. Just not a standout. Very middle of the road on all counts in my book. Smell and taste were just lacking. Decent enough but not something I will likely search out or add to my list of regulars.

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

Grassy hops, dry oats, and a tiny dab of chocolate that rounds off with a light - almost empty - sweet, soymilk foam finish. The creamy finish seems like it’s trying to make up for its thinner, porter-esque mouthfeel. Too much hops for my liking. I prefer a maltier, more burnt stout.

Not sure if I got a bad batch of this stout! Or that's how it's suppose to be, but it had the overpowering taste of carbonated / seltzer water. At the least, it was bad enough I had to leave myself a note. Otherwise, it may have been a decent beer as it's other characteristics were OK.

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company