Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

The deep ebony color, voluptuous mahogany head and bold, roasty flavors in our Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout are what serious beer drinkers expect from this style. Aromas of freshly baked bread, espresso, and dried cherries meld seamlessly with rich toffee flavors and a creamy mouth feel to create an unparalleled drinking experience.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001

Ratings: 2,582 |  Reviews: 1,000
3.73/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black, a little ruby around the edges, with a fast dissipating head and no lacing. Aroma is sweet, overall. Cocoa Puffs cereal, & coffee. In the flavor, Cocoa, a Pumpernickel-like bread crust, and a berry-like jam presence, too. Smooth, dry, medium bodied, and above average in carbonation.

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass, enjoyed with hunks of fudge.

Black as you please. Thin head, small bubbles, fair lacing.
Smells like malty chocolate, dark fruits, oatmeal.
Taste is groovy. Cherry-tinged chocolate and oat-bound espresso. Approaching medium crispness and hop presence, any more would, I imagine, disrupt the harmony.
I have found that an Oatmeal Stout needs some Jazz, and this well-balanced brew provides it!

Overall we would be eager to try an Imperial version of this brew!!

A number of my learned colleagues have mentioned Vanilla, I suppose accurately, yet until recently I lacked the vocabulary to claim it's calming presence out of the otherwise catchy chorus, or to associate it with Beer in general. A refined pallet requires patience, Grasshopper ...

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

3.37/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thick black color with a small light-brown head. Smells strongly of vanilla with some oats, although my first impression was coke. Roasted malt taste with a spicy kick and a chocolate finish. Nice smoothness from the oats but not enough body for my liking. Disappointed with this one given the price tag and high rating.

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Another brewer that I believe I am trying one of the first of their offerings...Decent enough...

I was impressed with the look of the beer, dark, reddish highlights and a tan head. I was surprised to see how fast it dissipated leaving no possibility of lacing. Though I tried, I couldn't really pull out any scent other than the advertised vanilla, and even so, it was weak. The feel was somewhat carbonated but with a hint of spiciness over the tongue. The flavor was definitely vanilla, roasted malts, but nothing I found out of the ordinary (or impressive for that matter.) It was a decent beer, I was surprised to see the website's rating, but I supposed that tells you everyone has their own like tastes.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

Maybe I am just unlucky. My beer is flat. I poured the beer into a glass. The color looks good, but there was hardly any head. It disappeared quickly. I can smell something which I can't identify. I took a taste. The taste is good except for the beer being near flat. I see the excellent reviews, so maybe I'll give this beer another try.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.08/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pitch black with an unimpressive layer of foam. Smell of chocolate and roasted malts. Roasted malts (coffee) are also the main theme in the taste, together with mild hops, vanilla, chocolate and caramel. I love the intensity of flavours they managed to get in a 5.8 abv beer. Mouth feel is excellent: medium-bodied and smooth. Keep 'em coming, beers like this one!

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer is pitch black with a thin head. The beer smells of roasted malts and a nice dark chocolate. There is also a sweetness of vanilla and milk. The beer has a sweet taste of vanilla to it followed by the richness or oats and roasted malts. The beer is very smooth and has hints of chocolate in it as well.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured to a teku glass from Zymology Craft Beer Store.

Oatmeal Stout, style 16B from BJCP.

A: The body is fully opaque, dark. The head stands between a beige and a clear brown. There's not much retention. And no lacing.
S: The first thing you can feel is the aroma of cereals that are present in the beer. This case, oat. Right after, there's a bit of sweetness coming from, I guess, lactose and coffee. And I think there's a clear distinction here between coffee and roasted malts. Both are present, but the roastiness of malts is one level "deeper".
T: The taste begins with a clearly sweet tone of oat and coffee that once the liquid goes to the back of mouth transforms itself into a malty and bitter profiles. I guess some nutty tones are present as well. No hop flavor, nor fruity tones.
M: Body is medium-low to medium, carbonation is reasonable but it's not silky as supposed. I believe this particular beer should be a lot more velvety but it's probably due to conditioning of the bottle throughout the time. Which is sad.
O: My first Anderson Valley beer. I was indeed expecting a bit more from this beer but it's probably due to the conditioning of the bottle. The taste is great but the mouthfeel is far from perfect. Will try it again but more fresh probably.

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Unknown vintage; drank 1/19/15 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Brown/black appearance.

Dark tan head; strong lace.

Creamy coffee & hearty oats in the nose.

Creamy medium mouthfeel.

Coffee bean & cream flavors up front; hearty oats on the finish. Mild but flavorful enough to enjoy; a nice, sessionable take on the style.

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shocked again by the reviews! Don't know if maybe it has changed since it was first reviewed 15 years ago by the brothers or maybe there are just so many great beers out there now.. I did not like this one that much and really don't know how it is a 90!

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company