Boont Amber Ale | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Boont Amber AleBoont Amber Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Balance is what makes our Boont Amber Ale so unique: rich, crystal malts give this beer a deep copper hue and contribute a slight caramel sweetness while the herbal, spicy bitterness from carefully selected whole-cone hops impart a crisp, clean finish. Hints of sun toasted grain, toffee, and fruity esters compliment the mellow, noble hop aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Ratings: 1,570 |  Reviews: 575

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

4/26/2012

Can poured into a snifter.

A: Reddish amber in color with a not insubstantial beige head that recedes quickly.

S: Lots of bread, biscuit, and caramel with pronounced earthy notes. Citrus resides harmoniously alongside malt, lending soft orange and grapefruit characteristics. Pine is evident.

T: Caramel, bread, and toastiness with an upper low to lower moderate bitterness with a hop profile that brings to mind orange, pine, and earth. The smooth and balanced. There's a little apple flavor throughout.

M: Medium in body with matching carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and smooth.

Overall: A pretty good Amber Ale. Highly drinkable.

3.31/5  rDev -13.8%

First, a disclaimer: I keep my kegerator a bit warmer than most (I abhor ice-cold beer unless it's a hot day and marginal in quality) which has an obvious impact on the drinking experience.

This is the second time in the past 4 months that I've opted for this beer and I'm still pleased with my choice. I find it smooth and drinkable in the style of a good English Ale, but with a nice caramel note and a hint of nuttiness. Pulled properly there's a modest head which laces away. I've enjoyed this with burgers, steak and grilled pork chops with equal results. I did find the bottle a bit more harsh in comparison.

The aroma falls well short - bordering on non-existent. However, that's the only negative I can offer for this brew.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

definitely not the best anderson valley can do. who knew they canned too? cool. pours clear redish with a medium tan head. smells like red/amber malts, english a little in nature, and almost no hops or sweetness, which leaves a void in the the aroma and actually in the taste too. caramely flavor, with none of the irish dryness, but the same profile flavor wise. feel is very bubbly, maybe overly so. keeps things fizzy and too light to let the flavors shine. i dont know, a pretty average amber all up, but my first letdown from these guys.

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

Day 7: It's over. It's all over. The world was dust, and I crouched there with a shotgun in the middle of the glassware aisle of the local Goodwill, looking up at a rather nice Guiness mug on the shelf. One of the radioactive corpses--a result of that damned radioactive meteor strike--was haunting the aisles somewhere, grunting and shuffling, but I was too starved to care. I cracked open a can of that beer I found in the parking lot, grabbed the mug down from the shelf and pour it out. Just because it's the apocalypse doesn't mean you have to drink from a can like a savage.

There's a grunt from the next aisle. Guess, he heard the hiss of the can opening.

(A:) Boont's Amber Ale, eh? It was a cloudy amber, and probably was that way before all the blood ended up in it. The grunting had come from what had one been a little old lady in a periwinkle coat. I put down the mug before I fired, and that almost cost me my life. As it was I only managed to find the trigger when she was right over me, and while I sent about 80% of her head (I'd guess) into housewares, a bit of the rest fell in the glass along with one off-white finger.

Day 11 (S): Looks like everyone in the Wal-Mart killed each other. Guess they had the same idea; stock up here and head for the hills. Just not enough for everyone. I spot a guy I used to golf with (Fred, I think) and pour out a Boont's in his honor. The place reeks. The beer has a faint floweryness to it, thank god. Sweet raisins/plums in a molasses-y base. Not enough to cut the stench, but it's better than nothing.

Day 18 (T:) I walked out into the desert, hoping that there'd be fewer zombies out here. Well, hell, it's pretty much all desert now, but still. Is this really all I'll be drinking for the rest of my life? Boont's Amber has kind of a caramel, molasses and raisin flavor to it. Raisin? Yeah, probably. Maybe plum. Sort of dark and fruity. But there's an odd dusty taste and it isn't just the desert dust. It's been in every can and I don't know what to make of it. There's even a faint hint of alcohol, which seems wrong in such a low ABV beer.

Just too strong. Nice at first but it gets cloying as you get to the bottom of the can.

Day 24 (M:) I got bitten. On the leg by what I thought was a corpse. Hardly seems to matter since the atmosphere is so irradiated that my lips were peeling off into my beer. It's too watery anyway; could use some thickening up. I like to think of it as Me Stew. Everything is so dry out here, and the Boont's has a bit of a dryness on the end that isn't helping. I wish I had something else to eat.

Day 27 (O:) Is this really the last beer I'll ever drink? I holed up in a garden shed, but there's a good ten or twelve of them out here, and I can't run with my leg half rotted away like it is. Damn you Boont's; even my shotgun says your name. Boont's! Boont's!

If it weren't the apocalypse, I don't think I'd have had a second.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a hazy amber red color. A frothy white head sits on top, dissipating to a film later on. Nice sticky lacing. The beer smells of sour hops and sweet caramel. The taste is like a caramel covered apple: sweet caramel covered citrus hops. Very unique. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall, I really didn't expect the hop overload in an amber ale. But it is well-balanced. Not a bad beer, but for an amber ale, not one I want to try again.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

355ml can poured into pint glass 6/4/12

A clear copper with a two fingers of beige foam that has decent retention and leaves a few partial rings followed by random patches

S some herbal hops, nutty chocolate and a little tea bag, smells good with a nice balance of earthy hops and malt

T more herbal then the nose with lots of earthy notes, more chocolate on the finish then one would expect from the color

M just enough bubbles too give it a creamy feel, leaves a slick feeling in the mouth

O good brew going on here, a nice balance with malt taking starting to overpower but not quite

its not going to blow your mind but its a pretty solid amber that worth your time

Boont Amber Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company