Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel StoutWild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout
3.79/5
Very Good
Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel StoutWild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American Stout

Aged for three months in Wild Turkey® Bourbon barrels, this luxurious stout has a deep ebony hue and a beautiful mahogany head. The woody, vanilla-like notes imparted by the barrels mingle with aromas of fresh baked bread, toffee, and espresso and envelop the rich chocolate and roasted barley flavors with a fine bourbon character.

Added by tempest on 10-27-2012

Ratings: 1,603 |  Reviews: 263

1.25/5  rDev -67%

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

1.9/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Received as a gift. Excited to try, as I usually like bourbon aged beers.

From first sip, ugh. I could hardly drink it. Tried a few more sips. Waited. Finally I threw it out. Probably drank 7 ounces of the 22 at most.

Not worth giving a detailed review. Smelled like bourbon mixed with cheap beer, tasted like bourbon mixed with cheap beer. Worst, the feel was probably among the worst I've ever had. Total waste.

1.93/5  rDev -49.1%

This is the first bba beer I considered pouring down the drain

2.13/5  rDev -43.8%

look: dark, but nothing notable
smell: best part about it
taste: the Wild Turkey (is there a worse bourbon?) overpowers any other flavors that may have been present..makes it a vile concoction that ruins your palate.
feel: like sitting in the woods knocking back some bad hooch just to get drunk when you were a teenager.

overall: There are just way too many bourbon barrel aged beers to waste your time on this one. If this is your first and you like it, all the others are better.

2.17/5  rDev -42.7%

I was excited to try this, an Xmas present for Sharon in CT.
A: Poured into my trusty Lagunitas mason jar glass. It poured a dark brown with a small khaki head that was gone in a flash.
S: Not much aroma at all, just faint hint of bourbon and some malt.
T: Again not much going on.
F: Thin and watery.
O: I realize this is not an Imperial stout and I tried to grade it accordingly. Overall, as my guy "Donnie" says, "sad".

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

My first BA beer, and I might not be a fan. Was not too keen on this one. It was a decent enough stout on the face, sweet and chocolatey and malty. The booziness and alcohol flavor was a huge turn off though. Was not as smooth as I thought or hoped it would be. The bourbon characteristics really took over.

Will not seek out or purchase again. I will try a few more barrel aged style beers though to see if it was the style or just this one that I didn't like.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

2.26/5  rDev -40.4%

Look: dark black. Inch high Khaki head.

Smell: faint hint of bourbon but I had to strain. Smelled light a normal stout.

Taste: Bourbon is barely an afterthought. The stout flavor is fairly light. No vanilla. Hardly any dark toasty notes. Nothing special.

Mouthfeel: Very thin. Nothing there at all. If I didn't know what I was drinking I'd say dark ale.

This is what I would consider a starter stout. A starter bourbon barrel aged beer. But for someone looking for a good barrel aged stout, stay away from this. You will not enjoy it. It's a huge disappointment.

2.34/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Expecting a bigger bourbon note.

2.36/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

In a glass from the bottle. Pours dark brown, a perfectly fine looking stout, though head dissipates fast. Smell is mild, mainly bourbon. Taste of Wild Turkey largely overpowers the Stout. Not that the taste is very strong for a barrel aged stout, but such taste as the beer offers is an astringent mix of bourbon and something medicinal. Thin mouthfeel. I love plenty of barrel aged stouts, but this one was hard to drink. Shared with a few fiends who all had the same response. Reading other reviews, I wonder if ours was an off batch.

More bba than beer