Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel StoutAnderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American Stout

Aged for three months in Wild Turkey® Bourbon barrels, this luxurious stout has a deep ebony hue and a beautiful mahogany head. The woody, vanilla-like notes imparted by the barrels mingle with aromas of fresh baked bread, toffee, and espresso and envelop the rich chocolate and roasted barley flavors with a fine bourbon character.

Added by tempest on 10-27-2012

Ratings: 1,562 |  Reviews: 254
4.5/5  rDev +20%

L: Dark brown/black. Traditional looking stout with a thick creamy head with plenty of lace.

S: Primarily vanilla and caramel toffee notes with a hint of booze.

T: Fantastic. The smell is in the taste as well with a big vanilla, caramel, chocolate flavor which settles into the oaky bourbon finish. Has an almost whiskey charcoal taste deep within it also. Surprisingly complex for such a simply style.

M: Heavy and chewy. Surprisingly heavy considering it's only a 6.9. You could say it's a little watery for a stout but overall the feel is pretty good. Smooth and creamy.

O: I am a big fan of Anderson Valley and their oatmeal stout. This one may surpass it as my favorite stout they make. Really great flavor combination and the bourbon is used in a way that isn't overpowering, but really compliments the chocolate, toffee, caramel mix. Under 7% alcohol as well so this is an incredibly sessionable beer that won't weigh you down like traditional Imperial Stouts or BB Stouts. Very impressed.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

Not real often you come across a barrel aged stout that's comes in under 7% abv but carries this much flavor and mouthfeel! I love it. Not a huge wild turkey fan myself, and the specific character of the whiskey comes through a lot in this beer, but it seems to work. Frothy look, soft grayish brown head on a dark chocolate colored body with good viscosity and so e clinging density. Nose is whiskey first, thin vanilla and booze, with sweet oak, milk chocolate, and derived fruit, maybe raisin leading the way in the flavor. Oats might froth this up a little, chocolate malt is robust, and the oak is long lasting in the finish. It's great because all the booze and body of the huge imperials is here, right there to enjoy from first sip, but it never gets hit and heavy, allowing me to consume way more of this than I could some imperial. Props to Anderson valley for putting this one together, it's perfect this time of year! A touch of acidity in the finish is my only complaint

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

4.84/5  rDev +29.1%

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

3.24/5  rDev -13.6%

Thinner then I was expecting from a stout. It drinks smooth and creamy. The flavor of Wild Turkey is very noticable.

I would describe this as a very sessionable Bourbon. Maybe not what I would expect from a stout, but on the whole a very enjoyable drink.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

AMAZING stout, if you're a fan of bourbon, or a fan of the rich malty stout, this is the one for you, pours thick and black with a dark head.

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark chestnut colored with a beige head that sizzles as it rises up, and recedes quickly. Low aroma of bourbon and dark malt. Rich flavor of darkly toasted malt, not roasty. Subtle woody notes, bourbon hints, and vanilla. bourbon is understated. No hop flavor, but firm bitterness offsets the malt. Somewhat thin body, dry and talcy, a carbonation tingle finishes. Woody notes linger. Good, but not great.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

This one was difficult to rate. Many bourbon barrel stouts are so high on the ABV there is a lot more going on. This one is smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. The barrel notes do shine through and mix well with the already sweet taste. I like this beer but it's not amazing. Something I might drink as a stout I can have a handful of. Worth giving a try

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Anderson Valley's Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout last week for $10.99 at The lager Mill. I was looking for another barrel aged beer to take to a tasting and since I've never had this one before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple, but it goes well with this name and it's not too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was close to being black and it took on some crimson like highlights when held to the light with a finger and a half of tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S= The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed with the bourbon barrel being the first to show up and it imparts a slightly boozy bourbon aroma with not much oak or vanilla coming through. Up next comes the malts which impart a roasted malt, light chocolate and light grainy aromas. The aroma was decent, but I wish it had better balance, the bourbon easily sticks out the most.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the bourbon barrel being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspect that it did in the aroma with the boozy bourbon being the flavor that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the malts which are on the lighter side and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with a watery malt flavor coming through. On the finish there was just a little bitterness with a slight malt and boozy bourbon aftertaste. The taste was ok, I thought it was unbalanced and the watery malts easily got overpowered by the bourbon.

M- Not the smoothest, crisp, a little watery, on the somewhat lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but i wish it didn't feel so watery.

Overall I thought this beer was ok at best and I thought it was a very average example of a Bourbon Barrel aged Stout, the stout base was thin, watery and not to flavorful and it got overpowered by the bourbon. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, crisp, a little watery, not filling and the taste couldn't hold my attention, one glass was more than enough for me, a whole bottle would be too much. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was a pretty nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it wasn't good and the stout base needed to be beefed up a little to balance out all those boozy bourbon flavors. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it, I just don't think it's a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and in the end it left me wanting a lot more out of the stout base, I thought it was odd that a beer under 7% feltso boozy. So far this is now my least favorite beer from Anderson valley and it's on the lower end of the scale as far as the style goes. I appreciate the effort, but this beer needs some work, better luck next time guys.

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company