The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy GoseThe Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Gose

With a bright, golden color and tight creamy head, the earthy wood undertones in our Gose develop into a light mineral aroma with a hint of lemon zest and tropical fruit. Before boiling, the wort is kettle soured with lactobacillus, imparting an initial refreshing tartness that gives way to a subtle fullness. Flavors of guava and peach are followed by a slight sea salt dryness and lemon sourness that is enhanced by coriander and post-fermentation additions of salt. The finish is dry, effervescent, and lemon tangy, reminiscent of a fresh sea breeze.

Added by scottfrie on 09-24-2013

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

I've been drinking beer for about 4 years and thought I had a general idea of what flavors beer could throw at me. This beer proved I have a lot more to learn.

Look: pretty transparent golden with some light lacing and a two finger head.

Smell: minimal. Spur scent that alludes to its taste.

Taste: wow. I was not expecting this. Generally when I imagine the taste of beer, it's either bitter or sweet with some combination. The first sip caused my face to pucker like I'd just popped in a warhead. Right off the bat I thought I disliked it, but the more I drank the more I liked it.

Feel: very gentle, smooth, and crisp.

I really wanted to dislike this beer based on the first few sips but I find myself more and more intrigued with each sip. Definitely pick it up if you see it.

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Pours a clear golden color with streaming bubbles and a soapy white white popping head that goes down quickly.

Smell has that salty almost cracker like like scent that follows with a bready and somewhat lemony scent.

The taste is sour citrus up front that has an almost chewy characteristic. The salty flavors come across mid tongue creating a tart pop .

The tart snappy mouth feel is somewhat light but the sourness lends to a thicker mouth feel with a somewhat wet finish.

Overall I found this to be a most tasty treat to sample. And I am so glad I was able to secure a six pack for me and the wife. This beer is very refreshing, slightly salty and sour but damn refreshing. Overall a very solid winner for my first beer from the Anderson venture.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

4.04/5  rDev +6%

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

This reminds me a lot of the Union Old Pro, a local Gose brewed here in MD.

Look: The head fades very quickly, a nice light-straw color
Smell: Very tart, strong lemon scent. A few sweeter fruits as well, although I can't particularly distinguish what I'm smelling
Taste: Solid taste! Like the Old Pro, it is incredibly tart, which I love. Unlike the Old Pro, there are also some sweeter notes that almost remind me of dates. This is a VERY salty Gose, which only brings out the tartness and I absolutely love it. Very wheaty finish.
Feel: Incredibly light, this is a perfect summer beer.

Great beer! Not as good as the Union Old Pro (I think there's a little too much going on in this one), but still a solid showing.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.81/5  rDev +26.2%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

...

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +6%

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear straw, with a big, foamy white head that disappears quickly, but leaves some lacing.

S: Lots of salty sea brine, hints of spicy coriander, lots of refreshing lemon with hints of tropical fruits like passion fruit, guava, and mango.

T: Both very tart and very salty. Lemon juice concentrate, salty ocean spray, bordering on pickle juice. Crackery malt and coriander are very subtle. Just big punches of sourness with tongue-tingling saltiness. Hints of tropical fruits like guava and peach, but mostly just tons of puckery lemon, lactic acid, and salt.

M: Medium-light body. Actually, an excellent body for 4.2%. Highly carbonated like champagne. Not creamy, but very fizzy and spritzy like lemon-lime soda.

O: A really darn good gose. One of the best widely available gose. Very sour and salty, which is my personal preference.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Nice amount of salt really helps rounds out the sharp citrusy sourness. Much easier to drink than I thought It'd be. Quite nice.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose from Anderson Valley Brewing Company