Lovibonds Gold Reserve | Lovibonds Brewery Ltd

Style: Wheatwine

Added by velkyal on 05-20-2009

Reviews by velkyal:
4.3/5  rDev 0%

It pours a rich amber, with a slightly off-white head, which at first disappeared rather quickly but when I would top up my glass it came back and hung about - it was a 0.75l bottle and the glass is a half pint. The nose is full of rich fruity sweetness and honey, here were also some banana and clove spicy notes coming through as the beer warmed up. The dominant flavour is the sweetness of the honey, although with a noble hop background which prevented the sweetness from being overly cloying, in the background I could also taste caramelised bananas - one of my favourite desserts.

It resembles barleywine to an extent, but it is lighter in body and much less sickly. This is quite simply a lovely, lovely beer.

4.67/5  rDev 0%

Picked this up at the brewery on a wonderful trip to England. While everyone went for the wines, I grabbed the last bottle of this on the shelves along with a Henley Dark Reserve.

A: Best before December 2009 bottle, made no difference on the quality of this beer. Split three ways into tulips. Orange and copper with a white head that thinned out pretty fast. Lighter colored wheatwine.

S: Sweet apples on the nose, some smoke aromas. Big malt presence as well. The wheat comes through very, very nicely to lend a sweet and grassy smell. English malts are quite obvious to pick up here. Absolutely delicious aromas.

T: Unbelievable. Never have I found a beer that so closely resembled a dessert wine. Pears and sweet apples, big wheat backbone with some English malts. Has similar flavors to a German Reisling. Simply outstanding beer after dinner. Considering only 500 were bottled, I wish I could have grabbed two! One of the best beers I've tasted.

M: Like nectar on the palate. Syrupy sweetness makes the beer remain on the tongue for a while.

D: Very easy drinker. As I approached my friend to gather his opinion, I could already see it on his face. This was one of the best beers I've had the chance to drink and I'm glad I shared it with friends. Had it with some fresh raspberries, but this beer would pair extraordinarily with a cheese plate. Simply a thing of beauty.

Lovibonds Gold Reserve from Lovibonds Brewery Ltd