Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: American IPA

Added by Sephiroth on 09-03-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.79/5  rDev -8.5%

Total stagnant suspension of stuff and things yeast sediment. It just hangs there, doesn't move. Only a few bubbles break the dull, clear amber hue. Good head though with good retention to a foam., the aroma is quiet similiar to the other two Mishahwaka brews I've had before this one. Like a very cheap malt syrup. The taste backs this up 100%. This beer has the same backbone as the Four Horsemen and Seven Mules kick ass ale. Three different styles of beer. Same backbone. I don't know i I wanna buy any more beers fro this brewery?!?!?

3.32/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a pale yellow-gold with about two fingers of rocky white head that lingers and leaves a solid ring of lacing.

S: Resinous and citrusy Cascade hops overpower any other odors.

T: A fair amount of maltiness that's still almost completely overwhelmed by the hops. Lots of Cascade flavor but not much bitterness for an IPA.

M: A little too much carbonation for my tastes, but otherwise unremarkable.

D: For a hophead, this could be a good session beer, but it's a one-trick pony and the novelty wears off eventually.

This reminds me of nothing as much as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids, er, hops. The hops aren't particularly well balanced though, with everything coming through in the flavor and aroma rather than the bittering. I'd call it more of an APA than an IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +49.8%

I poured this into a traditional 16oz pint glass and couldn't finish the pour due to the very thick slightly off white head. Lacing, no.. that just doesn't do this head justice, maybe plastering around the side of the glass would be better. Intensely thick foam.

The beer came out as a cloudy somewhat dark golden color. Really a very interesting color to just look into. The aroma is absolutely dominated by hops. I mean this is almost like going into a homebrew store and sticking your nose right into a jar a fresh hops. Somewhat of a citrusy hint is creeping around in the back of the aroma, making me think maybe there is some amarillo somewhere in there.

Taste is wonderfully hoppy. Great bitterness, but not so intense that you feel your mouth puckering unconsciously after a sip. There is a great bite in this flavor right in the middle. When the beer first hits your tongue there is a smooth bitterness, then as it slides to the back, there is a distinct bite. Very enjoyable.

I would say this is a medium body, maybe bordering on heavy with a pretty high level of carbonation that remains long after the pour. The whole time I drank this there was a steady stream of bubbles rising from the bottom. I could definitely stand to drink more then one of these and and am kicking myself that I only bought the one bottle.

My one and only complaint is the label on the bottle. Truly the least important aspect of this beer, but it just looks low-rent in my book. I understand this is a small brewery with pretty limited distribution, but with a beer this good, they need to make an effort to upgrade their label design. The current version looks like something a photoshop hack put together in 5 minutes. Anyway, that doesn't take anything away from how good the beer is, but I honestly almost didn't buy this beer due to the label alone. I guess that old saying about judging books by their cover is true.

4.3/5  rDev +41%

Pours with an inch of head, body is a clear, light amber color. Patchy lacing. Smells kinda piney, very slight grapefruit, some malt is there as well.

Tastes very resiny, reminiscent of some fresh hop beers I've had. A little bit of pine, plenty of hops to be had here, and more malt than I usually prefer in an IPA, but this one pulls it off quite nicely. Long, bitter finish. Full mouthfeel, and as with any good IPA, highly drinkable.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last