Track1 | Roanoke Railhouse Brewery

roanokerailhouse.com

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by mralphabet on 04-23-2009

1.48/5  rDev -56.1%

Wow! Been a long time since I poured one down the kitchen sink.

Poured into a normal beer tumbler. Decent head. Color was fine and predictable I suppose. I didn't detect anything amiss with the smell really. However, the first taste was a total surprise. SOUR! I'm not talking lemon sour. I'm talking really bad beer sour; like something's wrong with this beer sour.

I discussed this find with a co-worker thinking maybe it was a bad batch or something. He said he tried a Railhouse brew and didn't think much of it either.

I called the company and left a message and also sent an email. Putting myself in their place, I would like to know if there's a potential problem with one of my brews. It's been several days and I have not heard back. I suppose this is what they think a lager is supposed to taste like. And for all I know 100 years ago it is what lager tasted like.

Don't waste your $$$ on this one.

The worse part was that I found it in the grocery store along with some other local favorites of mine. I hate to think that a potential craft beer convert would try this beer and think this is what craft beer is all about. It would definitely be a turn-off.

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

1.64/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Roanoke Railhouse is a local craft beer brewery that is walking distance from my house that is quickly starting to symbolize everything I find wrong with the entire craft beer movement: it is not the quality or taste of the beer, but the fact that it is a small business that now makes a beer "good."

Track 1 is what better beers shit out. It basically tastes like someone got a Michelob warm, then gave it a 100% mark up and made it trendy in southwest Virginia. I used to say that Switch Monkey was bad from this brewery, but Track 1 has dethroned it.

As far as all of the qualities go, it might as well be an adjunct lager. I do not mind adjunct lager, but the draw to adjuncts is that they are an economical alternative to expensive beer. What Track 1 is, is a clone of an macrobrew that is one of, if not the most expensive beer per fluid ounce in my market. There are literally hundreds of beers that are better that I can get on any given day, but Track 1 is "craft" so it gets a pass from beer newbies caught up in the latest trend. This beer is terrible.

To describe the taste, just think about every Budweiser, Michelob, and Coors you have ever had and make it less interesting. All of those beers are drinkable in my book, but Track 1 has come in at 6 dollars a pint at a bar down the street. It is almost 4 bucks for a 22 at the grocery store. It is beyond mediocre at best, and I prefer Budweiser to it.

1.77/5  rDev -47.5%

strange up front taste and very bland aftertaste

2.24/5  rDev -33.5%

Decent appearance - a little paler than I would have expected but ok looking in the glass. Decent head.

The smell was bad - skunky bad - serious problem with this one.

Taste was right there with the smell but since the smell was so bad I was prepared.

Bottom line on this one was - UNDRINKABLE.

Bad news here folks.

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pilsner glass. Had a brownish color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Almost no lacing.

S: There was a very faint aroma of malt and mild hops, but little else.

T: Tasted of malt, a little hops, a weird, off-putting smoky quality, and an aggressively foul graininess. The taste was just too acrid and coarse to be enjoyed.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with an earthy finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not a great example of the style. Far too many bad elements to be liked.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Railhouse Brewery Track #1 Lager is not very good. The appearance is nice clear amber with thin off-white head that is not lacing. The scent very weak malt and a bitter hop. The taste is primarily a bitter taste from start to finish. The mouthfeel is light and decent carbonation. Overall it is not a decent beer and I would not session this....would rather do a coors lite.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.61/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%

just moved to roanoke. have to try the beer.
looks good. nice head.
smell is barely there. and what is there is just kind of beerish. Slightly malty. little hops. just smells like a beer.
taste is again barely there. some malt, tea, slight toasty yeast. annnd the finish is almost gone before you swallow. No flaws, just not exciting.
Texture is nice and with so little aroma and taste this is more of a textural experience. it's nice.
It's cheap and it's local. The hight points. Sadly there's nothing about the drinking experience that makes me want to buy this beer again.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Picked this up while passing through the area. I was looking forward to trying the local brew. I didn't know what style of beer they were after, no clue on the bottle so I reviewed it as a beer.
The color is that of a penny with a small tan head.
All malt in the aroma, but it is faint.
The taste is pretty watery but it does have a small roasty malt taste in there.
I wasn't really sure what this was but it does make a bit more sense after I saw it was a dunkel lager. A 12 ounce would have been enough of this one.

Clean copper color with a thin head that clings to the surface as a spotty cap. Rich, clean aroma...pear, nuts, chocolaty bread. Sweet, nutty, toasted bready malt flavors. A bit too bitter, which distracts from the maltiness. Earthy grain, caramel, and tea. Missing the overall finesse and cohesiveness of a well made German-style lager. Not terrible though...

Track1 from Roanoke Railhouse Brewery