Track1 | Roanoke Railhouse Brewery

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by mralphabet on 04-23-2009

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

3.69/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

A - Orange-brown, semi-opaque. Pencil-thin head after a minute or two, very little lacing.

S - This beer smells like an ESB with a bit of banana mixed in. It has a faint hint of vanilla pudding as well. It definitely has a bit of a hard-water smell.

T - Bread-crust, bananas, the tiniest smidgen of raisins or maybe grape skin followed by a 'hard-water' taste. The aftertaste blends that mineral taste with a blend of malt and hops bitterness.

M - A bit under-carbonated and watery. The mouthfeel is a hollow and somewhat watery version of what you'd expect from the taste. It's a far cry from what you'd expect from the smell. It's not exactly unpleasant, it's just really weird.

O - This beer is unique in its inoffensiveness. I know that sounds like faint praise or a left-handed compliment - but sometimes it's just what you're looking for. It lacks any sort of sensational characteristic that might normally appeal to someone trying to break into craft beer. Personally, I quite like it. The mouthfeel is about the only real letdown.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

1.64/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Roanoke Railhouse is a local craft beer brewery that is walking distance from my house that is quickly starting to symbolize everything I find wrong with the entire craft beer movement: it is not the quality or taste of the beer, but the fact that it is a small business that now makes a beer "good."

Track 1 is what better beers shit out. It basically tastes like someone got a Michelob warm, then gave it a 100% mark up and made it trendy in southwest Virginia. I used to say that Switch Monkey was bad from this brewery, but Track 1 has dethroned it.

As far as all of the qualities go, it might as well be an adjunct lager. I do not mind adjunct lager, but the draw to adjuncts is that they are an economical alternative to expensive beer. What Track 1 is, is a clone of an macrobrew that is one of, if not the most expensive beer per fluid ounce in my market. There are literally hundreds of beers that are better that I can get on any given day, but Track 1 is "craft" so it gets a pass from beer newbies caught up in the latest trend. This beer is terrible.

To describe the taste, just think about every Budweiser, Michelob, and Coors you have ever had and make it less interesting. All of those beers are drinkable in my book, but Track 1 has come in at 6 dollars a pint at a bar down the street. It is almost 4 bucks for a 22 at the grocery store. It is beyond mediocre at best, and I prefer Budweiser to it.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

3.02/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled today (29DEC12) from a 22oz bottle gifted to me for my BDay last month by Artied2...

Pours a rich, clear amber color, with steady carbo... Head is almost nil, just some fine gatherings of bubbles near the rim. Doesn't leave much lacing to speak of at all. Aroma is a bit toasty with some caramel, perhaps even nutty. Feel on the tongue is quite light and airy, even with a medium body.

Has some light sweetnes, with malty caramel and, again, a hint of nuttiness. Didn't find any bitterness or chocolate, whereas the Railhouse web notes this as a "clean lager with chocolate bitter notes...". There is some floral hopping, along with some fruity action bordering on tartness, which I find odd for a lager, especially a supposed Munich Dunkel. Not what I was expecting.... Prosit!!

2.95/5 rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

A gift from my niece Jane. Thanks!

A lovely deep red/amber with a mice tan head.

Bready aroma with hints of caramel and hops.

Good flavor is rich with malt notes and a hint of hops.

Body is a little light, but nothing is wrong.

Overall a fine lager.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

1.48/5  rDev -56.1%

Wow! Been a long time since I poured one down the kitchen sink.

Poured into a normal beer tumbler. Decent head. Color was fine and predictable I suppose. I didn't detect anything amiss with the smell really. However, the first taste was a total surprise. SOUR! I'm not talking lemon sour. I'm talking really bad beer sour; like something's wrong with this beer sour.

I discussed this find with a co-worker thinking maybe it was a bad batch or something. He said he tried a Railhouse brew and didn't think much of it either.

I called the company and left a message and also sent an email. Putting myself in their place, I would like to know if there's a potential problem with one of my brews. It's been several days and I have not heard back. I suppose this is what they think a lager is supposed to taste like. And for all I know 100 years ago it is what lager tasted like.

Don't waste your $$$ on this one.

The worse part was that I found it in the grocery store along with some other local favorites of mine. I hate to think that a potential craft beer convert would try this beer and think this is what craft beer is all about. It would definitely be a turn-off.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tall pint glass. Pours a nice red color with a little white head, but dissipates very quickly. Smells of darkly roasted caramelized malt, not much else. Has a very bland taste, a little dark malt, but watery. Light bodied beer has a nice finish, but is a little fizzy. Overall a pretty average beer.

Track1 from Roanoke Railhouse Brewery