Menabrea 150° Anniversario Amber | Birra Menabrea SpA

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-16-2004

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

2.38/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.95/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had some time on my hands a few months ago, much as I do now, and so I hied up to Manhattan & Brooklyn for an afternoon of hockey & beer. I got to see The Pens @ The Isles at Barclay Center, I made some Czech friends and I picked up a few things at Eataly. Yeah, it's a bottle, but a relatively inexpensive one and a curiosity for me. Y'see, where others will chase & stand in line, I will simply grab something new to me off of the shelf and give it a review so that others may learn - either from & of my folly or that it is something to look for. Saluti!

From the bottle (trans,): "G. Menabrea and Sons"; "Company Founded in 1846".

Having Pop!ped the cap, it is time for a pour. Being an Anniversary beer, gentle is probably better than aggro. Even this was enough to produce a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity, although closer to 14 or 15 than 17, just so that I do not oversell it. Nose had a bready, malty sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was bready, although there was a treacle-like sharpness in there, also. I must tell you that at this point, I went to both this site's Style section as well as John Mallett's book, "Malt," which my cousin, Colby Chandler of Ballast Point, tells me that I need to read in its entirety. Fair dinkum, having done that for Stan Hieronymus' "Hops". The slight sharpness seems well within the guidelines and reminds me not to be too quick to judge a style with which I may not have as much familiarity. The aggregate taste was one of fresh dough for dark bread. As a teenager, I took the entire gamut of HomeEc (Foods) in high school and considered both culinary school and being a Navy cook before getting into another aspect of Supply. Stovetop cooking may be eye-catching with open flames and things being tossed in a pan, but for me, the magic occurs in the oven! I loved working with dough and might have become a baker in an alternate reality. I digress. Warming, it became really bready, almost chewy in some ways. Finish was semi-sweet, thanks to that sharpness that I kept tasting. Not only did I like it, but I may go to market tomorrow on my day off and scour for a loaf of dark bread. Quick show of hands, kids - how many of yinz that have never tried this or reviewed it would just gloss right over it on the shelf?

3.71/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear, dark copper hued body; dense, creamy, sculpted head. Nice malty aroma infused with an apple, honey, and somewhat floral character. Honey and caramel flavor; robust bitterness filters through at the finish; nutty. Smooth and creamy feel; initially sweet yet transitions to a somewhat dry finish.

A very nice beer offering a nice balance of malty sweetness with a smooth, crisp bitterness.

3.57/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

you know me and my penchant for and curiosity of italian beers over the last couple of years, i have to try them when i see them. this is a far cry from some of the special yeast driven wild ales coming out of the region lately, much more of a classic european style and process, but a pretty nice beer overall, the first i have seen of it in the united states. what a lovely beer in a classic pils type glass, several inches of airy white head accumulate on top of an almost perfectly clear base beer thats squarely amber in color, highly carbonated, and shiny in the right light. it smells a little oxidized, forgivable considering the style and distance from its origin. nice sweetness up front to the malt and a very flavorful lager yeast that reminds me more of the german lagers i have had than any italian ones. light fruit in here too from the grain, apple cider and golden raisin, very dry in the finish, bready from the yeast which is as flavorful as the malt. awesome carbonation and a slight creamy feeling. i bet this is amazing fresh from the source. still a worthwhile beer if you see it over here, but a little more generic than it probably would be over there, its low ratings here might be a testament to that, and a whole lot less dramatic than some of the new wave italian stuff coming around. enjoyable beer though no doubt, my first from these guys.

2.9/5  rDev -8.2%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.41/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.02/5  rDev -4.4%

3.39/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.27/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look- clear amber color, minimal cream head and lace
Smell- mostly clean, a bit metallic, some faint biscuity malt. As the drink warms, some notes of honey and floral tones.
Taste- clean malt taste, honey, some sweetness in the finish.
Feel-light, thin bodied, some refreshing crispness.
Overall, not so flavorful and complex, nothing special, but certainly something I wouldn't turn down if I was really thirsty and there was nothing else.

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Poured a 330ml bottle into a 350ml beer glass.

Fairly dark, amber colour poured with a frothy, loose white head that disappeared quickly.

Nice nose. Malty with some faint toffee and caramel and some banana coming through.

Palate is very light and not what I was expecting but some nice flavours especially banana, but only on the front of the mouth. Not well rounded. Very light bitterness and some dryness.

Mouth was disappointing. Quite light and lagery. Carbonation was strong. Not balanced.

Finish is light with very mild bitterness and some faint dryness.

Despite the good nose this was let down by the poor mouthfeel and the light palate A bit disappointing overall.

Not recommended. (Maybe for fans of the style)

2.44/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Found this at a small shop down the ally from our hotel in Venice. Very cheep. The Prosecco we got from there was much better.

3.14/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.89/5  rDev -8.5%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

Menabrea 150th Anniversary Amber has a thin-to-medium, off-white head, a mostly clear, bubbly, amber appearance, and just a touch of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, pronounced, brown bread malt, and possibly corn, and the flavor is of sweet bread crust, hops (showing up faintly at the end), and even some corn present in the mix. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Menabrea 150th Anniversary Amber finishes crisp and highly drinkable.

RJT