Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Old Peg Leg Stout | Swashbuckler Brewing Co, LTD

3.66/5
Good

Swashbuckler Brewing Co, LTD
Pennsylvania, United States
parenfaire.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by Phatz on 12-20-2005

Reviews by Phatz:

[EDIT - retired in 2006]

Old Peg Leg Stout

This a wonderful dark and heavy stout, with roasted coffee and chocolate accents. They are working on getting a bottling operation started but at the moment it is available at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. I have already gotten season tickets to the Faire for their beers, they are excellent! I will be re-reviewing these beers as soon as the 2006 season opens. I highly recommend stopping in to check it out.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +18%

I can't remember the name of the bar, but I had this off the tap in Williamsburg, Brooklyn on the corner of Bedford and North 7th or 8th.

I truly enjoyed this brew. This dark brown brew with a decent amount of bubblyness had a decent head with lacing. This was a smooth beer, somewhat chocolatey, but a ton of flavor comes through that I'm not really good enough to decipher. Definitely a must try.

2.56/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured into an opaque plastic cup, so a review of appearance is tough, but...

The beer is non-nitro, which is always appreciated. It is solid black, with a long lasting, frothy dark tan head. Leaves nice lacing on the plastic. The nose contains of course roast, but also vanilla, and a bit of a berry fruitiness. Very light. Somehow, this beer has a very off taste. It is very bitter in a roasted way, which is fine (although a bit over-roasted, it seems), with an odd berry flavor (hinted at in the nose), which fortunately recedes as it warms (quick in the August sun). The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, and less carbonated than appreciated. Overall, the beer loses so much for the foreign tasting berry flavor. I will re-review (hopefully!) in Autumn, when I hit up the Renaissance Faire again.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%