Alpha Centauri Binary IPA | Hop Valley Brewing Company

hopvalleybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John_M on 07-23-2010

Hop Valley Brewing Company’s Alpha Centauri

I sampled this at my neighborhood Albertson’s, and said “I hasta have!”

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a big ol’ Kirin mug. A nice head formed, about a finger and a half, which slowly degraded to an uneven foamy surface with different sizes of bubbles, very nice! Tendrils of foam clung to the glass as the foam subsided. I thought the bar to be hazy, but it was very cold, and the mug was just frosty, the brew was clear, and a nice light amber color. The head persisted, nice and dense, about a quarter of an inch, after several minutes. The smell… hops(!), and a little citrus, not a huge aroma, to my surprise.
The first sip said Imperial IPA in your face, and on your tongue, buddy! I could taste every one of those 100 bitterness units. Puckered the roof of my mouth! The flavor reminds me of when I chew a leaf of yarrow or sagebrush. Are there turpenes in hops? Yes there are! And there was a bit of what I decided was carambola fruit. All of this hid the 9% alcohol very well.
So I sipped, and sipped, and refilled from the bottle, and sipped. Actually, I should say I’m sipping. I sip, and then inhale through my partially closed mouth, and there is not as much aromatics going on as some beers I have had, with a minty cool like effect, but I can feel the hop oils coating my mouth. As far as maltiness is concerned, my taste buds are not as attenuated to that.
There is no lacing on the mug, curiously, as there is still a foamy, almost scummy head. Have you ever gone hiking by a stream, and noticed a scummy foam hanging out along the bank, trapped by sticks and rocks and grasses? No? Too bad, but like that. Now I do detect that aromatic, almost minty feel when I suck air into my mouth, a bit. I also feel a bit tipsy. Listening to the Beatle’s “Girl” from Help helps. Another sip, another Hop Bomb! Yum! I shake the last dribble from the bottle into the glass.
I notice that there is a patch of lacing at the back of the glass, with bands indicating my sips, and I wonder if I smoked something, but maybe it is just my dishwasher messing with me. Note to self- hand wash beer mugs, please.
The hop sensation has worked itself all around and under my tongue, very nice. The Kinks’ “I’m Not Like Everybody Else” is playing on the radio, and this beer could sing this song, if it could sing. I can relate!
Did I mention mouthfeel? Here goes: Nice mouthfeel, kind of thick, maybe due to the oils in the hops.
That’s all folks!

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

3.61/5  rDev -10%

Good beer but a little too much citrus for my taste.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the brewpub in Eugene, Oregon.
Medium amber with excellent clarity and a very good head. Some sticky lacing is left on the glass.
Nicely flavored, this is a relatively mild and easy drinking DIPA, with limited bitterness and partially hidden alcohol.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light golden copper with a fluffy head that dissipates pretty quickly into thin lacing. The taste is sweet stone fruit at first but soon relinquishes into a bitter assault on the palate that somehow I really liked. It's good.

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

From the 650 mil. bottle with no bottling date. Sampled on June 30, 2016 maybe months after it was released.

Yup, for me this highly rated beer was a malt bomb.

It looked nice with its orange-amber and heady pour.

The nose was stale malts and only the slightest hint of fruit or citrus but mainly stale malts.

The body was medium and maybe better.

The taste was malt forward and low to no hops behind it. I almost didn't review because I didn't think I could give this a fair shot given its apparent age. But at the same time I probably won't get to try this again anytime soon. Hopefully I can try a fresh one sometime.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Orange to amber hue. Good shine and clarity. Think small bubbles

S: melon. Citrus pith. Watermelon rind. Subtle tropical fruit. Grass.

T: bitter pine. Grassy notes. Melon rind. Hops. Resin

F: crisp and clean. Very bitter aftertaste

O: decent west coast style Ipa. Was expecting a bit more tho.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden honey color, with a thin but pillowy head and a nice bit of carbonation running up the glass. Smell is sweet and fruity but not just citrus from the hops, there are whiffs of pineapple and mango hiding out in there. Taste is quite nice initially, it is not nearly as bitter as I was expecting considering the amount of hops in the nose. That being said, what bitterness is there seems to linger a little, to the point of becoming a little bit unpleasant if you drink it too fast. It's sort of like a grapefruit that isn't quite ripe yet. Mouthfeel is nice and chewy, but again, the bitterness bites a little to hard when it finally shows up.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

4.09/5  rDev +2%

From a bomber picked up in Tacoma, date stamped on the neck says 5/25/16 which seems a little ambitious, but, I'm willing, so into a spieglau ipa glass. Pours a fairly clear bright peach, nice 1 finger head and good retention and lacing. Nose has some faint pineapple, sweet orange, light breadiness and caramel malt. Fruity but not too tropical and very clean...not a huge nose and not too complex, but nice. Tasting, like the nose but there's more pine on the back end, and there's a little tea-like quality to the bitterness at the end. On the whole, this is really clean and tightly constructed. The mouthful is creamy and smooth, the alcohol is hidden very well, and there's a nice bitterness at the end.

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%