St-Ambroise Pale Ale | McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Pale AleSt-Ambroise Pale Ale

McAuslan Brewing
Quebec, Canada
mcauslan.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our flagship beer -the one that put McAuslan on the map. St-Ambroise Pale Ale is a golden, generously hopped brew, and a perennial favourite of the many pale ale drinkers who have enjoyed its rich, fruity flavour since 1989.

Hops: Cascade, Willamette, Golding, Hallertau

IBU: 35

Added by Jason on 10-26-2000

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -34.9%

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. One finger of quickly dissipating head. A warm golden shade with steady lacing throughout the drink.

Fully alcoholic scent, few other scents, off malt notes?.

No real hop profile to speak of. If this is a pale ale, it's a very tame one. Not even a lingering flavor. While highly drinkable and probably appealing to even the most novice of beer newbies, but there's nothing unique or special here.

Note: My opinion didn't change throughout the six pack.

2.64/5  rDev -31.8%

cloudy amber in color. Doesn't look like a pale ale. Lacing in patterns of ...well, lace. Or, think spider webs.

Smell:
Smells very malty, not expected. Floral, with restrained fruit aromas mixed with a little spice.

Taste:
Slight fruity taste sits on top of a strong malt base with hints of brown sugar. There's also a hint of tea leaves in there.

Mouthfeel:
A little thinner than expected, and a tad watery.

Drinkability:
I could easily drink a bunch of these.

For a pale ale this is confusing. It's neither pale, nor domestic have that typical pale ale snap and crispness. I wonder if I got a bad bottle, because I had this once years ago and loved it. Oh well.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.81/5  rDev -27.4%

This is the second time I've tried this beer (473mL can from LCBO). Consumed about 6 months before data shown on bottom of can. Pours lovely orange/copper colour with plenty of head. Not much of a smell. I was waiting and waiting for the hops to hit me but it never happened. Quite disappointed especially after trying their Oatmeal Stout and Apricot Wheat Ale (yum!). From an American Pale Ale you'd expect more hops and a little more excitement in the beer. I think it's too sweet and trying to be a cross between English and American style pale ale but not getting neither quite right. I'm very shocked at the ratings on this one. Usually the ratings hold true to a beer but not this one (for me at least!).

Unfortunately, this is the last time I try their pale ale. Their other brews are awesome though!

2.84/5  rDev -26.6%

I had very low expectations for this one. It was my final selection in filling out a mix-your-six, and the "BLONDE" was much more prominent on the label than "PALE ALE", thus the reason for my low expectations.

A - The appearance was much better than I had was anticipating. It had the tint you'd expect from a good pale ale, though not quite as opaque as I'd have liked. There was a decent head and minimal lacing.

S - There was not much in the way of smell from the beer, but it beat the macro brews.

T - As with appearance, I was pleasantly surprised at the taste of this beer, but only because I was expecting a "blonde", which I took to mean more of a pilsner style. As for a pale ale, it left a little to be desired (I'd have preferred a bit more bitter flavor), but it was acceptable.

M - Again, it was decent, but far from great.

D - This one managed to overcome the lack of flavor by being smooth and easy to drink.

2.94/5  rDev -24%

St. Ambroise- Pale Ale

A- Nice deep golden orange with a big fluffy heavy lacing head. Clear with good small bubbly carbonation.
S- I don't detect much here. Light buttery caramel malt, toasted grains, and grassy hops. Very light on the nose.
T- Very watery. Light caramelized toasted malt. Sugary sweet pine hop touch in the end.
M- Very watery, very light. Light and sweet in the body with a mildly bitter floral hop finish.

Overall- This was too subdued for me. Watery and lacking. I'll stick with their Oatmeal Stout!

St-Ambroise Pale Ale from McAuslan Brewing