St-Ambroise Pale Ale | McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Pale AleSt-Ambroise Pale Ale

McAuslan Brewing
Quebec, Canada
mcauslan.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Hops: Cascade, Willamette, Golding, Hallertau

IBU: 35

Added by Jason on 10-26-2000

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 473mL can into a traditional pint glass at about 5 degrees Celsius.

L-A clear amber/copper colour. Head is a clingy foam that disperses but sticks around as a light coating on top that sticks to the glass. A pretty sight, not too harsh on carbonation from the look.

S- A poppy and fruity scent rises from the glass. It's crisp and is really just the right way I'd like an APA to smell. This is how it should be.

T- Brash hops mingle perfectly with a refreshing malt opening. There is an excellent balance between the sweet and the bitter flavours, giving a very crisp and flavourful experience. A great mix of fruitiness and grain, in the finish you can expect apple skin and grain. This is the best pale ale I've had up to this point, and I'll be having it again.

F- Just the right amount of carbonation for me, not too heavy on it at all. Crisp and refreshing, with an almost creamy texture with the smoothness and foam.

O- Truly an excellent beer. The best APA I've ever had, and I don't foresee another trumping it anytime soon. I'd reccomend this to anyone. Complex and flavourful without going so far as to be too assertive, a comfortable and refreshing drink. Do yourself a favour. Everyone may not feel the same, but this is personally all I want in a pale ale done exceptionally well, it's worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bronze colored beer with gene ours lace. Slightly carbonated and bitter with hint of hops but balanced with smooth, caramel feeling. I enjoyed it overall.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Lovely copper colour. Smooth malt start, bitter finish. Balanced, solid, better in the can than bottle. More English than American in style.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev 0%

McAuslan Brewing 'St.Ambroise Pale Ale' @ 5.0% , served from a couple of 341 ml bottle's purchased for $1.85 each
A-pour is gold from the bottle to clear dark gold in the glass with a medium size off-white head leaving a spotty lace along the pint
S-hints of wheat
T-wheat pale ale
MF-ok carbonation , medium body
Ov-ok beer , weak pale ale
prost LampertLand

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

This is the second time I've tried this beer (473mL can from LCBO). Consumed about 6 months before data shown on bottom of can. Pours lovely orange/copper colour with plenty of head. Not much of a smell. I was waiting and waiting for the hops to hit me but it never happened. Quite disappointed especially after trying their Oatmeal Stout and Apricot Wheat Ale (yum!). From an American Pale Ale you'd expect more hops and a little more excitement in the beer. I think it's too sweet and trying to be a cross between English and American style pale ale but not getting neither quite right. I'm very shocked at the ratings on this one. Usually the ratings hold true to a beer but not this one (for me at least!).

Unfortunately, this is the last time I try their pale ale. Their other brews are awesome though!

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours an amber colour, with a 2 finger head that dissipates over the course of a couple minutes. Looks very appealing.

Smell is very faint. English noble hops with a caramel malt. Enjoyable, but underwhelming compared to what I was expecting/hoped for from a pale ale.

Taste is about the same as the smell, though there is a lingering bitterness that I'm not a big fan of. Almost reminds me more of an English Bitter, as I feel this is quite similar to Fullers London Pride. That being said, the taste certainly is not unpleasant, though I hoped it would reveal more of a hop bite than what the aroma was revealing.

Mouthfeel certainly feels more carbonated than it looks, as other reviewers have mentioned. Appropriate level of carbonation for the style.

Overall this is a nice tasting beer, though I was hoping for a little more excitement. However, I understand that not every beer has to blow you away with such a strong flavour. I do not see myself purchasing this again as there are plenty of other options out there that more suit my preferences, but I will say that this could be a great beer for any lager drinker who is looking to try something a little different.

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 473ml can. This must rank among the top three or four of beers I've consumed the most of in my lifetime. Some really good memories associated with this one.

Nice pale ale colour. Two inches of foamy head dissipate quickly. Some lacing.

Really interesting hop profile. It's citrusy and floral.

Most of the reviews here fail to capture just how distinctive-tasting an APA this really is. It's got your standard Cascade notes, but that's combined with some amped-up English and noble hops. It's a genius bit of brewing. There's a solid biscuity malt backbone there, too.

Creamy.

This is a true classic. In Montreal you pretty much can't help but drink cheap pints of it everywhere you go. Here in Ontario it's a bit more expensive but still well worth seeking out.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After falling in love with their oatmeal stout awhile back I felt it was rightly time to try this, and I have to say I'm Glad I did, This beer is on Sierra Nevada scale, It really is a delicious pale ale.

Appearance - Pours a clear amber with 2 fingers head. head fades to leave a film on top and rings in my glass. Definitely doesnt appear extremely carbonated.

Aroma - light malts, floral hops citrus hops, caramel. This everything you could ask a pale ale to smell like in my opinion.

Taste - light malted grains at the back of my pallet, lemon, caramel some light fruits. at the start and end its bitter but sweet in the middle. Very interesting combination.

Feel - This beer is light and creamy with what feels like more carbonation then it looks to have.

Overall - This beer encompasses everything I look for in a pale ale, It has a nice balance between sweet and bitter and all the classic flavors are there. I think if you can find it you should give it a go. A+ beer all the way.

St-Ambroise Pale Ale from McAuslan Brewing