St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
St-Ambroise Oatmeal StoutSt-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
Notes: Brewed from 40 percent dark malts and roasted barley, this intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. Oatmeal contributes body and a long-lasting mocha-colored head to this well-hopped beer.
• Dense mocha-coloured head
• Chocolate/espresso flavour, medium sweet with a distinct floral aroma
• Ideal accompaniment to chocolate desserts
Reviews: 652 | Ratings: 1,309 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
LeBron_James from Canada (ON)

4.47/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is my go to for oatmeal stout. It looks great and head retention is okay. The smell is of dark roasted malt and a kind of bready malt. The taste follows and is very good. Dark roasted malt and this beer is not bitter by my taste and also not too sweet. It isn't terribly complex but definitely an outstanding beer. The feel is great with nice carbonation and it's super drinkable. I love this one and will buy it regularly.

Monday at 03:46 PM
InspectorHound from Canada (ON)

3.82/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Black with a 2 finger beige frothy head. After 5 minutes the head is holding on around the edge and turning to lace in the middle of the glass.
Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, dark fruits and a slight alcohol smell.
Taste: Bitter dark coffee and smoke.
Feel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.
Follow the serving temperature recomendations on this beer. If drank straight from the fridge it's smoke flavours get lost in mineral water sharpness, but when the beer warms up the smoky character shines through. This beer earns a B+

Nov 02, 2020
Blasterson from Canada (ON)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Black. Head was borderline whipped-cream in thickness, and a pleasant tan. So thick I could write in it with the last few drops from the can.

Smell: Nothing special, which didn't give me high expectations. I could smell the toasted malts obviously, and a hint of smoke.

Taste: here is where this beer shines, which is obviously the most important quality. I mostly drink dark lagers and am not a huge fan of ales in general, but this one was excellent. For a dark beer it had a dry, smoky, coffee flavour devoid of the sometimes overly sweet caramel notes you usually get with toasted malts. Very rich and almost savory. A meal in a can.

Feel: thick and creamy. How I like my beers.

Overall, a superior dark beer.

Jun 21, 2020
altstadt from Canada (BC)

2.94/5  rDev -28.3%

Opaque dark brown. Almost no head, just a tan fringe around the edge of the glass. No lacing. Can't see any bubbles rising.

Sweet smell with a bit of malt. Swirling the glass kicked up some barnyard and a little more malt.

Main flavor is dark roasted malt, but not very much of it. This has a darker roast flavor profile than Guinness stout. Turns to a bit of bitters in the mid and aftertaste.

Relatively mild carbonation leads to very little foaming. Heavy body.

Basic flavor profile for a North American stout. Not as clean or "light beer" as Guinness. Thankfully the barnyard smell didn't show up in the taste.

Oct 27, 2019
GuyFawkes from Illinois

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From old, undated notes. Poured from the bottle.

Black liquid; a touch of light passes 'round the edges.

Nice dark khaki head; strong lacing.

Oats & nuts in the nose; very bold nose.

Medium thin mouthfeel.

Great flavor; tons of nuttiness, tons of roasted oats.

Thin mouthfeel makes it a rare oatmeal stout that's super easy to drink, yet full of flavor.

These tend to be my least favorite stouts, but this is a home run.

Oct 09, 2019
JoebRogers from Canada (QC)

4.29/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours out into a very dark and silky body, with a medium sized, surprisingly chocolate coloured head which doesn't retain especially well.
S: Very strong fragrance of espresso, slight undertones of chocolate. Unfortunately, light hints of an almost chemical smelling flavour too.
T: Very rich, dark flavours come through immediately, with the oats coming in at the aftertaste. I'd describe it as a very rounded, "full" flavour. Mostly tones of coffee, slight hints of chocolate every now and then.
F: Lighter and thinner than expected, but still creamy. Mild carbonation.
O: A very decent stout offering, perhaps not the best I've had, but a step above the rest from other styles I've tried from this brewery so far. I'd buy again for sure.

Sep 29, 2019
rodbeermunch from Nevada

Wow can't believe I haven't reviewed this one, when did I first try it, back in the late 90s? Pours a black color with 2/5" brown head. The aroma is all roasted malt. Adjuncts were not invited to this old school party.

Taste is really something any self professed stout lover must experience first methinks. Its just the perfect packed to the gills with roasted malt yet not massive alcohol strength or sludge factory experience. Sure, you can pick apart the chocolate malt notes, and they're definitely complimentary. This is a great beer to check out if you like some of those non adjunct non barrel aged sensible strength stouts that Three Floyd's makes. Or if you like Sierra Nevada Stout (which is kind of hard to find lately).

The mouthfeel is rich and coating, carbonation is ample, man this is a better beer than Guinness in every way, but even since college, that beer got all the kudos instead. It comes off like a hybrid of an Irish Dry Stout and English Oatmeal Stout. Good stuff, would recommend.

Apr 04, 2019
Jaystar from Massachusetts

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My Favorite! Smooth and rich. Sweet but not too sweet; roasted flavor without bitterness. I don't taste any coffee or chocolate, but do taste roasted malts, some dry hops but not too much, and oatmeal creaminess. Wicked!

Dec 26, 2018
drinkabrew from Canada (ON)

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I latched onto this brew when our local WalMart's started selling beer here, in Ontario. The can's Emblem(red and white donut with a black and white Griffin in the center) reminded me of Griffintown, Montreal - where I had lived in my childhood. So, I read the label and liked the fact that it was a dark stout. I've always been partial to warm, dark ales - must be because of all those Coronation St episodes that I used to watch. Anyways...it's a good beer. Poured from the 473mL can into a proper beer glass(which I use) it pours out dark and true to its advertising; the Mocha-colored head does present wonderfully and it also is an auditory delight as the fizz tickles the ear hairs. The stout tastes and feels great going down - as I would expect ; and I usually pick up one or two cans when I'm in the Wally and keep them at home - in reserve. Drinkabrew!

Dec 12, 2018
AwesomeAndrea from Canada (NB)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This drinks like a meal - a lovely kick-ass meal. It starts as a swirl of dark heaven with deeply coloured bubbles rushing to the top. The head is solid, proud and firm - almost a toasted nut colouring. It’s more of a foam with tiny bubbles, a succulent mattresses to immerse your lips into.

Like a good cheddar, this drinks very well if left out if the fridge a bit - the sharpness of the cold hides the flavours that mellow with temperature. You’ll find that belgian chocolate taste, the espresso edge... it’s best paired with warm socks and a winter evening. It’s to be experienced properly.

Dec 11, 2018
rapayn01 from Kentucky

Poured from a standard 473 ml Canadian tall boy pint can. It's flavorful. In fact, I actually picked up the oatmeal flavor, which rarely happens. This stout has a nice roasty bitterness, which was neither coffee nor chocolate, which is good. I believe this was my first Quebec beer.

Nov 20, 2018
le00metalero from Canada (QC)

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on its draft beer version. It was very similar to a Guiness but with a lighter feel and a better smell (not as perfumed). I highly recomend this beer from Quebec.

Sep 25, 2018
Larryfunnell from Canada (ON)

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Overall, a very nice beer. Quite dark, I was a bit disappointed in the smell, but since I was having it outside, I may have been experiencing interference from flowers. The colour is quite dark worthy of a stout, and it retains the head for quite a while.

Jun 09, 2018
Sculptor from Canada (ON)

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Excellent stout! A teeny, tiny shot of peated scotch finishes it off amazing well. ...for my humble taste buds.
I’d like to see it aged in peated scotch barrels.
A great summer drink because the flavours come out as it warms...the antithesis of lager!

Jun 07, 2018
Nass from Florida

3.61/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Taste very much like a Classic Guinness Extra Stout. No disrespect to Guinness but that style of beer is sort of old new & already done. Try to be more creative & innovative with your stout. If you have had the Guinness Extra Stout then you have had this beer as well. Cheers! B

Apr 02, 2018
ConfusedCat from Canada (ON)

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I didn't like this beer the first time I tried it, but it has really grown on me. Tastes very heavily of roasted malt and oatmeal, with hints of dark chocolate and espresso. Overall very drinkable but not lacking in flavor, for a cheapish low ABV craft beer this is as good as it gets. Props to McAuslan for bringing quality craft beer to the masses, you can find this stuff at every corner store in Quebec.

Mar 17, 2018
CanadianCoder from Canada (ON)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been hesitant to give this beer a perfect score in any ratings I've done (what makes a beer perfect anyway?) but if it's not perfect it's in the ballpark. It doesn't give you much to complain about; perhaps it's only flaw is that it's complexity and richness is off-putting for novices (and is that really a flaw?)

Feb 02, 2018
Beerbuds from Canada (ON)

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a cola colour with beautiful thick tan caramel head. Smells of coffee with cocoa hints and piney hop notes come through. Taste of dark roasted coffee with that balanced bitterness. Nice strong malts and bitter finish.

Jan 24, 2018
Willmacc from Canada (NB)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is simply my favourite beer. The oatmeal gives it body and substance. The colour is virtually black with a large beige head. The taste is exceptionally balanced. I get more espresso than chocolate and it's hoppy enough to beautifully balance the sweetness. It is filling and should be considered a sipping beer. Absolutely delicious.

Oct 29, 2017
GingerFan from Canada (QC)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very dark colored stout with an off-white head. Hints of the oatmeal in the smell. Very nice taste and incredibly smooth going down. Overall an excellent beer

Oct 16, 2017
Jtee from Canada (ON)

3.56/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From a 473ml can served at 16 degrees Celsius into a snifter. I arrogantly disregarded the suggested glass and serving temperature.

Look: The beer pours an opaque black with 5cm of rocky, quite dense mocha head that fades into a partial film in 3-ish minutes. I was expecting longer retention. The lacing is good.

Smell: Moderate strength and sharp (maybe it comes across more balanced when it's colder). Prominent dark malts with not only a roasted but burnt/charred character. Coffee and chocolate with hints of dark fruit.

Taste: Moderate strength with decent balance. Roasted to burnt/charred malts with coffee and chocolate. Faint dark fruit with a strong mineral character. Low to no hops or yeast. The finish falls in the medium range for length and intensity with the balance being towards bitter.

Feel: Medium-full body with mild carbonation. Creamy and smooth with no alcohol warmth. Thinner than I expected from an oatmeal stout.

Overall: An all-around solid stout that is worth a try, but I don't think it stands out from the crowd. I'll happily revisit it on a later date to see if anything has changed for me.

Aug 02, 2017
JRed from New Jersey

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Darkest brown in body with fluffy khaki head. Aroma of soft cocoa notes, hazelnut, some medicinal, and earth. Tastes of cocoa, medicinal notes, grass, mint, earth, oatmeal, and rather large bitterness. Heavy body with medium carbonation.

Jun 17, 2017
TheSixthRing from California

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance - Pours black with cola brown edging and a thick, cocoa powder colored, two-finger width head. Good retention, resulting in a thin, broken layer of suds and a fair ring around the edge of the glass. Solid lacing, mostly consisting of broken webbing and a few small spots.

Smell - Chocolatey with a hint of cream, fair smokiness, earth and roast. Faint dark fruitiness.

Taste - Follows the nose, though the flavor is more balanced. Chocolate cream upfront, but it's quickly enveloped by the smoke and roast character. Hints of dark fruit (plum and raisin) peek through mid-taste and hang to the finish, sitting just beneath the earthy, roasty, toffee sweet and smokey finish. Aftertaste lingers with hints of fruit tang, earth and espresso bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate, tingly carbonation. Silky, creamy texture before a mostly dry finish.

Overall - Certainly one of the more uniquely flavored oatmeal stouts I've had in my time, even if the overall experience is a bit too 'English' for my taste buds to thoroughly appreciate. I would definitely recommend, if only for the unique experience it brings.

Jun 10, 2017
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black color with a brown foam head. Malt,coffee,almost candy like aroma. This is a beer that definetly needs to warm up to really appreciate all it's flavors. As it warmed up the characteristics of an oatmeal stout became more evident. The mild hop taste came out which was a bit bitter but added a good contrast to the rest of the elements of this beer. I'm partial th oatmeal stouts but trying to be objective this was a really enjoyable beer

Jun 08, 2017
ShoeIn-BrewWin from England

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

Let me start by saying I'm a huge stout lover (it's my favorite style) and I've tried oatmeal stouts from around the world. However, I highly disagree with the reviews of this one which I had on draught at Montreal airport.

Look: Perfect creamy, white head. Jet black body. Reminds me of a good Guinness in terms of the pour.

Smell: Far too malty and alcoholic without the usual balance of a good stout.

Taste: Just like on the nose, lacks depth in flavor with overpowering malt and an alcoholic bite. I don't get much of the coffee or chocolate that others seem to get. I do get a bit of ash.

Feel: Relatively smooth and drinkable.

Overall: I'm just not impressed given the number of better oatmeal stouts I've tried. I think the alcohol is not properly masked behind complexities on the nose or tongue. Maybe I just got a bad batch? Although it was on nitro draught so I find it hard to believe it was not indicative of the beer.

Jun 05, 2017