Dusseldorf Alt | Cally's Restaurant and Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Cally's Restaurant and Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
callysbrewing.com

Style: Altbier

Added by mmmbeer on 05-21-2006

Reviews by mmmbeer:
4.42/5  rDev 0%

From a 2 L growler, the second one I got as I drank the first one before I had a chance to write up a review. It pours a copper/mahogany color with very active carbonation and a full, 2 finger tan head that laces everywhere and recedes to a thin cap of fine bubbles. The aroma says "sticke," revealing notes of perfumy, minty hops that seem aged or almost stale, and an almost astringent quality to the dark, vinous, fruity malts. The taste is pretty complex, with notes of hop leaf/oils, perfumy/minty hops, a firm bitterness (36 IBUs), dark malts that contribute blackberry and currant notes along with coffee, tobacco?, and perhaps some kinda charred quality. It has a body that is medium to full and is smooth, approaching creamy near the end. This is my kinda session ale - it has a good hop kick, is complex enough to keep me interested, and low enough in alcohol (5.2 ABV) to drink all night. They need to brew this as often as possible.

1.66/5  rDev 0%

I was not impressed with this beer at all. I am sorry if I offend anyone with that but this may have been one of the worst beers I have ever tried. The waitress even said they get a lot of complaints about it. So when I went on BA and saw that it had a great review I was surprised. She did say that the people who love it really love it and it had a big following and that was the only reason they still make it.

Appearance- This and the smell were the best things about this beer. It had a great amber color with a red hue. Evenly dispersed head and lace.

Smell- It has an alright fruity and malty aroma followed by some bitterness in the smell.

Taste- A horrible plant like bitterness that turns sour real quickly. The taste stuck to my teeth and I still could not get it off even after eating drinking and brushing. If you get a beer sampler try this one last. It will mess up the flavors of the other beers.

Mouthfeel- Harsh and sticky.

Drinkability- Like I said one of the worst beers I have ever tried.

Dusseldorf Alt from Cally's Restaurant and Brewing Co.