Elevator Wheat | Coop Ale Works

Coop Ale Works
Oklahoma, United States
coopaleworks.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Notes: A unique spin on a classic style, this spicy wheat ale starts with a blend of Maris Otter, white wheat and a hint of rye. After a late addition of Cascade hops, the beer is fermented on German wheat yeast. Notes of clove and banana can be found along with noticeable spice from the rye.

Formerly known as Zeppelin German Wheat.

Added by bort11 on 05-27-2009

4.94/5  rDev +27%

Moat delicious beer COOP has

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The numerical scores above are from my most recent review.

Review of November 25, 2014
AP 4.5 AR 4.5 F 5 MF 4.5 OA 4.75

I think the recipe must have changed a bit with the name change, as this beer has gone from good to legendarily outstanding.

It reminds me of a dryer, spicier version of Live Oak's Heffeweisen.

Pours from a can into a very wonderfully cloudy liquid with a minimal white head.

Spicy slighty citric aroma.

Flavor is a mouthful. Banana, cloves, lemons, oranges, coriander, nutmeg, maybe a tiny bit of pineapple. Some nice hoppy spices (hoppier than most of this style) but not too much. Starts out dry but ends on a sweeter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a slight prickle.

I am very, very impressed with this beer. It makes me want to rediscover hazy yeasty wheat beers all over again.

Review of March 9, 2011:
AP 4 / AR 4 / F 4.5 / MF 4 / OA 4.5
A very interesting beer.

Slight aroma. Pours a light gold liquor with a white head and slight haze and a few stray bubbles.

Flavor is interesting and definitely grows on me. Much spicier than I expect from a pale wheat beer. The brewery says there is rye in there I believe it. Very nice and dry with a tinge of cloves and a nice bitter aftertaste. Seems like a very dry heffeweizen to me with a slight acidic prickle.

Mouthfeel is ok. I would have preferred it to be a little more something --- fluffier, velvety, something besides ordinary.

Very drinkable. I could see this being a good session beer.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.66/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very pleasantly surprised. It reminds me a little bit of a Belgian. It was a great beer that will go into rotation.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Had this in a pint can poured into a pint glass. Can smell and taste the banana and clove - very, very similar to Troeg' s Dreamweaver. Excellent wheat offering. My favorite from Coop Ale Works.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

It has a beautiful, hazy, and golden color but had a small head. Nice smell from the yeast and spices. It tastes like a wonderful fusion of a citrusy wheat and recognizable hefe. It has the smoothness of a wheat with the kick of spice from the rye and the citrus and clove work well together. Medium mouthfeel overall that makes it easy to drink more than one in a sitting. If anything, I could've done with just a pinch more of hops in it. It's a really good interpretation.
My favorite beer type is a hefeweizen, so I like this beer a lot. It is slightly different than a standard hefeweizen, but definitely something I'll be getting again.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hazy/opaque golden color. Herbal and sweet smell, very inviting! Some beers are malt forward, some are hop forward, this one is yeast forward given that it's a hefe. The taste mirrors the smell, herbal, sweet, and high yeast flavor. I don't pick up the rye that the can describes, but maybe my palate failed me. I will say from here on out, if I want a hefe this will be the one I grab. A delightful take on a German classic!

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

I found Coop Elevator in Oklahoma City at Tapwerks located in the Bricktown area. The hazed bronze color was a bit darker/dingier than what I expect from a wheat brew and the rye may have something to do with that. The lighting at this taproom is not the best for grading colors either. Head was a bit thinner than I would expect as well, but it still left some pretty good lace. Aromas of cracked wheat, banana, and clove are all there. Flavor follows the nose with a slight rye peppering and sweet herbal tea. Nice smooth texture and medium carbonation like most hefes. Overall a very good brew from Coop.

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

a hazy golden in color with an almost non existent head. light grain aromas. taste begins with an initial burst of sweet bread flavor. then some bubblegum and clove. finally an almost nutty, bready finish. a hint of hops in the aftertaste. a great wheat beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Elevator Wheat from Coop Ale Works