Hop-Ocalypse | Clay Pipe Brewing Company

cpbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by on 08-04-2006

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

I love the name and the label design on this - good play on words and it was different enough to catch my eye and get me to buy a six. Glad I did.

Pours a dark amber, not much head. Smell is a little yeasty and bready, just a hint of citrus hops, and an earthy smell that reminds me of creek water from down in the floodplain bottomland where the skunk cabbage grows... or used to (haven't been back to check in too long...)

Taste is piney and spicy and good. The mid-palate has a good, medium-strong hop presence. The finish is mild and pleasant, surprisingly not bitter. I don't think this is a hop bomb (certainly not the Bikini Atoll cloud shown on the label!), BUT it's not a weakling either. I thinks it's a pretty good IPA.

Mouthfeel is great, medium-bodied, nice stuff, with a bit if stickiness from the malt in the finish. Overall, drinkability is just fine. I will buy this stuff again. It's local to me, and I call it good. Recommended.

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

A – light amber color, a lot of chill haze, a lot of suspended particles in this beer, thin lacy head

S – not a lot of aroma, some hops come through, but much less than typical for the style

T – aspirin tasting bitterness dominates, some malt backbone, but bitterness is really all there is to this beer, hop flavor is muted, some fruity and spicy flavors but would have liked a lot more

M – thin mouthfeel

D – bought a six pack of this and not really looking forward to drinking the rest of them. Great name and label for what that is worth.

3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

The name and packaging was so ridiculous (and there have been many threads about the absurd names of hoppy brews and IPAs) that I had to buy it. Into a pint glass it goes.

Appearance: Huge billowy white head which is still sticking around like ice cream and leaving thick rings around the glass. I'm guessing this was probably also near perfect temperature too, which certainly helps. Color is copper or reddish also in other forms of light, and there's a ridiculous amount of bubbles floating to the top and cascading all around.

Smell: Perfume hints of hop flowers, sweet malt, and cherries and strawberries, oddly enough. Also some sweet orange peel seems to be in the mix. Nicely balanced in the nose.

Taste: Not enough malt presence in the body, which makes both the hop and malt flavors cookie-cutter like, with tinges and hints but no great flavor I was looking for from the aroma. The hops are slightly dry, and with the fairly high bitterness level, they're screaming for a malt presence to balance everything out. Oddly enough, however, the finish is lingering with some hints of sweetness and a sour and grapefruit and citrus-like bitterness. I have a feeling with some tweaking this could be fairly amazing stuff, but so far it doesn't deliver as much as it could.

Mouthfeel: A bit slick and watery, though the carbonation seems to be right. I just wish this had more of everything in it, which would maybe fix the problem and amp up the flavor and taste a bit too.

Drinkability: Not a bad brew, but there are certainly better IPAs out there. And since it's winter I'll be seeking out Pursuit of Happiness next, which is awesome. Not sure I'd buy this again, but for those of you who hate to be assualted from the hops but are a fan of them, this may be a brew to try. Or those who haven't really had IPAs who may want to seek them out also; this seems to maybe be a good starter.

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

The label and name sold me on this one more than anything...

I asked the guy at the store about this one and he had no clue... guess it's a new one.

Poured a copper, any other IPA color and the smell wasn't nearly as hoppy as expected but not bad.

The taste was also not as hoppy as expectec, but was surprisingly easy to drink and smooth. There was almost no aftertaste which was actually quite welcome.

Overall a decent beer. Remember, sometimes, it's ok to judge a beer by its cover.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Tried this beer at a BA Gathering in Portland 23 Sept, 2006. 12 oz. bottle with a foreboding 'mushroom cloud' on the label.

A: Deep coppery-orange with some hints of gold and a minimal white head, which lingers a while then fades away.
S: Nice piney/citrus hop nose with a decent influx of malts and some wheat.
T: Hmmm...lots of fresh hops but rather dry and definitely bitter. Malt sweetness gets lost in a tangy bitterness. Seems imbalanced...I guess I expected more from this one, especially based on the cataclysmic image on the label...
M: Medium mouthfeel & body and reasonably smooth. Again, that lingering bitterness is hard to get over.
D: Pretty average beer. Uncertain whether this is exemplary of an American IPA. I probably would not seek this one out again, but I'd recommend a try if one's available to you...maybe I'm wrong or I had a subpar bottle?

3.77/5  rDev +6.2%

12oz. bottle

Pours a slightly chill-hazed orange amber with a small white head that thins. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very grainy with a layer of piney hops. It really smells too malty for an IPA, but the grainy smell is quite fresh and inviting.

Tastes like it smells. Lots of grainy/malty flavors upfront with a slight bitter bite leading into a rather mild piney hop flavor. Finishes on the grainy side with a lingering bitterness. Very fresh tasting, but I gotta knock the score back a bit as it's not really an American IPA..

Medium body, good carbonation.

Let me first say that I really enjoy the grainy taste of this beer. It's just really not an IPA, and I had to lower the taste score as it really doesn't fit the style. Hop heads will be disappointed - the name is misleading. However, re-badge this sucker an an American amber (such as Troeg's Hopback Amber), and it's a great beer for that style.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a perfectly clear medium copper color with massive tannish chunky head. Nice lacing. Smell is initially fairly strong for piney hops, but this slowly dissapears leaving some maly notes. Taste is slightly malty at first, but a strong hop character quickly presents itself. Finish is long dry and bitter and very enjoyable. Great drinkability. Sorry I only bought one.

3.26/5  rDev -8.2%

Awesome looking label on this brew...love the mushroom cloud. I only wish this was a true hop bomb.

Pours an amber color with lighter orange hues on the edges. About an inch
of off-white head leaves average lacing behind. A thin blanket remains to coat the top.

The smell is rather subdued. Faint piney hops and some malt, but it's not easy to get much of anything. What I do get doesn't smell bad, though.

Taste starts off strong but seems to fade as I get further into my glass. Started nice, with a piney hop bitterness up front with some biscuity malts in the middle before a bit of citrus comes out.

Almost medium bodied with decent carbonation. The finish isn't very IPA-ish to me. Hardly any bitter aftertaste and it has only a light dryness to it. The label sucked me into this one, and I am always glad to try a new IPA, but I think I will pass next time.

3.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First of all thanks to gfb108 for this very kind gift.

This is a simple very easy drinking IPA. Hop-Ocalypse it is not but it has a firm hop charter that it tasty and a solid though reserved malt backbone to balance and it goes down *very* easy making this a beer like Hops-Infusion that I will buy a case of.

Appearance: Pours a golden copper color with a decent two-finger head and moderate lacing.

Smell: It has a pleasant but also somewhat typical aroma of pine hops and a few drops of grapefruit, and some fruity malt attributes.

Taste: It has a nice citric pine hop kick. The very first sip set me back a bit with a somewhat metallic aftertaste but I adjusted to it quickly or it faded and the beer became more and enjoyable as it warmed and the glass emptied. Overall it is definitely a bitter beer that is drying and the hop flavor is part of the bitterness but not all of it. There is a biscuity malts presence grain and fruitiness enough to tip the scales toward balanced though this is predominately a bitter beer. The aftertaste is terrific (after that first few sips). It leaves you with a lip smacking bitter dry that begs for more, making this easily sessionable. I wish I had some more.

Mouthfeel: It is a bit lighter than I would have hope but it is nicely carbonated and the light mouthfeel work with the reserved flavors it create a simplicity that adds to the drinkability.

Drinkability: This beer is a stage two beer for someone in transition to wanting to be a hop-head. It may not be quite hoppy enough or bold enough to please the hardcore hopheads but it is pretty dry for most macro drinkers. I found it very easy drinking and just what I wanted even though it doesn’t quite live up to the name.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

Served in a pint glass, pours a nice bright amber with two full fingers of foamy off-white head, decent retention, and moderate lacing. Aroma is rather muted, earthy and somewhat piney hops. Taste is of floral perfumy hops upfront, slight biscuity malt, slight citric hop finish, very slight hop bitterness. This is a real muted beer, none of the flavors very strong, definitely doesn't deliver the hop flavor that the name would indicate. Body is on the thin side of medium, but it does have a nice dry finish. Overall, I have to say I was disappointed in this beer, I was expecting a great flavorful beer like Pursuit of Happiness, but this didn't deliver.

3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

This is a 12 oz bottle of Clay Pipe's new offering. I am drinking from a tumbler.

Appearance: The ale has a copper color with a thick head that does not retain well.

Smell: The ale has an earthy hop aroma on the first sip. That aroma is rather strong but fades quickly and eventually disappears.

Taste: Again, the first sip has a real bang to it, leaving me excited for the rest of the beer. That first sip was floral and strong. After that, the hop tastes disappeared (as in the smell), leaving a grainy cereal flavor from the malts.

Mouthfeel: The initial hop blast is nice but it does fade fast, leaving the beer with an amber ale maltiness.

Drinkability: I will gladly try this again as that first blast was very intriguing.

Photo of
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz. bottle. Poured a golden orange color, very clear with a large off white head. Aroma was all hops, citrusy with orange seeming to be the predominant component. A bit of pine came through as well. Taste followed the aroma, with a quite bitter, grapefruit-lemony hops taste. Malt/sweetness was almost undetectable, although you did get a bit in the aftertaste. Finish was slightly husky. Mouthfeel was very light, with moderate to high carbonation. Quite drying, in that you kept reaching for the glass. Overall, a pretty good beer. Hoppy enough for most hopheads, very refreshing. Only flaw is it could use a bit more malt for balance. Glad I bought a sixer instead of a single.

Hop-Ocalypse from Clay Pipe Brewing Company