Troubadour Magma | Brouwerij De Musketiers

Brouwerij De Musketiers
troubadourbieren.be

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by richmof on 05-11-2010

Beautiful appearance. Reddish orange with fantastic head and lacing.

Had this a keel beer bar in Antwerp, Gollem: This is an over the top Belgium version of a West Coast Imperial IPA. Has a fruity smell with hop aroma.

Nice aroma of IPA style hops. Apricots, tropical fruit and candied fruit sweetness in the smell.

Bitter and still a little sweet, citrus comes through, complex and a little astringent,
For West Coast Imperial (hop lovers) IPA lovers this will satisfy.

A little too sweet for me, residual sugers make it to sweet

4.94/5  rDev +27%

Great IPA. One of my favorite beers. Nice hoppy taste without being overly bitter.

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

Love this beer. One of my favorites. If you haven't had it, seek it out. It can be difficult to find.

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

Fantastic rendition of the Beglian IPA, some of the brewers get this style and some of them don't. Namingly most of the American versions which kill the experience with loads of American highly potent alpha acids with the Belgian yeast spiciness, this is a yin and yang that just doesn't work for me. This one appears a glowing slightly clouded orange color for me, with bright white peach tinted head. Rocky and thick effervescent head the true Belgian style lacing going on, intricate and layered perfectly with each sip from my Allagash chalice. Aromatics offer up lemon/lime/grapefruit citrus fruits with a really appealing grassiness going on, spicy edges from the yeast and sugary layers of candy coated hops from the tropical fruit mango to the simple syrup tones I'm getting. Caramel coated hops, wrapped in sugar. This is bitter but alcohol and malts stand up to European hop additions. The grapefruit, grassy/herbal, and tropical fruit mango/pineapple tones tend to explode on the palate and the bready spicy yeast blends perfectly amongst the hodgepodge of flavors going down. Mouthfeel is effevescent with carbonation smooth with occasional hop burps clearing out the sinuses this is a nice drinking beer definitely hides the 9% abv. Drinkability overall is incredible the type of beer I would love to have more often than not, conveniently it's right down the street at my local beer and wine shop.

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ă“tima cerveja! Uma IPA com pedigree belga.

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Never saw such a murky IPA before, there is a lot of yeast in my glass and I didn't shook it up. The fluid looks orange brown and there is no visible carbonation. The orange/yellow head is massive and steady. All of a sudden the head collapses into a fluffy, creamy layer. The lacing is nice however. The yeast blizzard is slowing down and coming to a rest on the bottom of my Struise glass.

S - Mango ,grass and pineapple some sweetness and old oranges.

T - WOW, a superb sipper, my beer is still cold but all ready the taste is all there. I had this on my shelf for a while (approximately half a year), but this is still a good beer. I don't really know it the aging made it better. I had this beer fresh before and I threw it down the sink, but back than my palate wasn't developed enough. - Mango, grass, candy sugar, oranges, pineapple.

M - A medium carbonation and surprisingly enough the bitterness stops rather quickly after being swallowed. The body is creamy and slightly sticky. No real signs of alcohol, only a slight warming effect after swallowing.

O - I like this imperial Belgian IPA and I will surely have it again. I am very glad more and more brewers on the European main land are having a try to brew this beer style.

Troubadour Magma from Brouwerij De Musketiers