Cerveza Barena | Cerveceria Hondurena, S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by MTNboy on 07-17-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
1.22/5  rDev -52%

I found this beer at a gas station mini mart and bought one simply to collect the label. I can safely say that I found something worse that Coors Light or Bud Light.

It came in a clear bottle, through which an unhealthy pale yellow was noticeable. It had a slight, yet sickening sweetness which reminded me of diluted cough medicine.

Nevertheless it earned a spot in my beer label collection as the worst swill I have ever had in my life.

2.78/5  rDev +9.4%

Pure white, fairly forthy given its cresting below one finger, thin but persistent lacing streaks, swift dissolve. Watery yellow color, fully transparent with bubbles visible within. Corn, earth and yesterday's cut grass typlify the nose, on the sweet side given the paucity of scents, chestnuts, no fruit nor citrus of note. Light-bodied but very foamy which increases the mouth presence. Dried yeast, corn husk and grass most of the flavors, here you get a curious splash of green apple. And maybe some lemon peel. No sweet maltiness, no bitter hoppiness. Seems to be aiming for the Platonic form of "generic beer" and comes close to the mark. While it is entirely uninteresting, not any better nor worse than its cheapie American counterparts. Certainly have had worse.

1.81/5  rDev -28.7%

Recently spent a week in Roatan and drank a lot of the 4 Honduran beers on the island in the hot sun. They were quite refreshing given the weather and suited their purpose perfectly, ie: quenching thirst. I'll review all 4 at once, from what I can remember, so anyone looking to try these when they visit can have an idea of what's in store.

All were drank straight from the bottle.

Barena - This was the worst of the bunch in my opinion. Heavy aroma and flavor of DMS. It's pretty much overpowering and you can't taste anything else. Comes in a clear glass bottle so, although mine wasn't, could be easily light struck. Very clear diluted yellow in color with a bright white head that didn't last at all with each sip. Tried it once and never had it again.

Port Royal - This was possibly the cleanest of all the beers. But that also meant that it had very little flavor to speak of. Very crisp, easy to drink (fast) and thirst quenching...but aside from a little DMS in the after taste had very little going on. Came in a green glass bottle and was very clear.

Imperial - This one came in a brown bottle so that was a nice change. Not so loaded with DMS to turn me away in flavor in aroma. Had a little more body than the first 2 and little more going on in flavor...there may have been a little malt used in there after all.

Salva Vida - This quickly became my go-to beer on the island. It came in a brown bottle and had good head retention everytime the bottle was tipped to sip. Never took it out of the bottle except to drink but it looked very clear in the bottle with a white big carbonation head. Slight DMS in the taste and aroma. It had some mroe going on though...You could actually tell they used hops in the beer (although still not very prevelent) and there was a little malt in there too.

All in all they are 4 similar beers brewed by the same brewery. Not the best beer to drink but they serve the purpose when it's 85 and sunny and you've been at the beach all day and need a thirst quencher while sitting on the porch in the evening. I'd recommend trying them all for yourself but Salva is the winner in my book.

On a side note. I learned that some rich guy went over to Roatan and actually built a brewery. He planned to brew beer for the island, and I believe tried to, but was quickly run out of the business by the big wigs. I guess they went to all the businesses on the island and paid them NOT to sell his beer and continue to sell these 4 as the only local beers on the island. He tried to sell the brewery but was unsuccessful and he now makes soda with the equipment.

3.1/5  rDev +22%

I tried one of these in Honduras while on a Caribbean cruise. We also had a choice of Corona, Port Royal, and Budweiser.
Why anyone would travel 1,500 miles for "America's finest pisswater" is beyond me, but I'm sure it made some BMC drinkers happy.

First a couple of caveats.
I drank a bottle of one of these while sitting on a beautiful tropical beach in Honduras. Considering the idyllic surroundings, it would have been hard not to enjoy most ANY beer that day.

Secondly, the beer was served in a bottle with a lime, so it's hard for me to accurately rate the taste or smell, since they were both "tainted" by the lime.

That being said, this was an average but still enjoyable beer. Not as good as Modello Especial, but better than Corona.
I wouldn't seek it out here, but if I find myself in Honduras again, I would gladly choose one over a Bud any day.

Note: The fact that it's served in a clear bottle makes me wonder how well this beer would travel. Not that I would expect to see it around the Midwest as Latin American cervazas are poorly represented here in the Midwest.

1.17/5  rDev -53.9%

This beer is not my favorite. It pours a bright pale color with very thick foam. There is not much a malt taste but i can taste a lot of rice in it reminding me of some of the dryer Japanese beers. Still it doesn’t carry the flavor the whole way through there is a lot of metallic tastes as well. Overall in my book it is as bad if not worst than Coors Light.

2.26/5  rDev -11%

12 onz. (333ml) clear bottle

Appearance is a pale golden color with a white foamy head,really nice.

Smells like veggies , there's not a lot of aroma in this beer just like hints.

In the taste hops,grains and some malt,some carbonation ,it does'nt leave a bad taste in the mouth .Does'nt feel wattery in the mouth. This beer is good to try ,but not to return.

Not a bad beer for a clear bottle.

3.1/5  rDev +22%

I tried this recently in Puerto Rico. This is a mystery beer. I could not get much of a straight answer on this beer. I know that it is made by SABMiller owned Cerveceria Hondurena but the labels say SAB International Albany GA. and the cap says Puerto Rico. Anyway it was pretty average and a good beer as far as they go in this region.

Appearance- A mild gold color with very little head that disappeared quickly.

Smell- It had a slightly skunk odor but a little fruity, with malt and hops all in the mix. It was interesting to say the least.

Taste- It has almost a cheap adjunct flavor that was still enforced by esters of fruitiness, malt and hops.

Mouthfeel. As with most of the beer I tried while in the Caribbean it was thin and easy to drink.

Drinkability- A good beach beer. It was pretty refreshing