Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Salva Vida | Cerveceria Hondurena, S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Honduras

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by jackndan on 08-06-2002

2.2/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Similar to the port royal but cleaner.

2.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.35/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.87/5  rDev +8.3%

I love Honduras. I've been there at least half a dozen times. I've been in the cities, I've been in the aldeas, I've been in the mountains, and I've been to the beach resorts. There is no place I'd rather be. There is no food I'd rather eat. They have a dish there called "baleadas". It's a flour tortilla with scrambled eggs, refried beans, crema and anything else you want to put in there. It's so simple and easy to make yet so good.

I remember one time I went to Telamar resort for a day. It was my sister-in-law's birthday, and we wanted her to have a good time. While we were eating lunch, we saw a group of French tourists, and their table was covered with empty bottles of Salva Vida. I figured, hey, it must be pretty good.

I was wrong.

It's a beautiful color. It's a beautiful golden, golden color just like the Honduran sun. It's light; it looks like just the perfect refreshment to cool you down after sitting on the beach or at poolside. But the taste just doesn't come through. It has no beer-ish taste, and there's a slight hint of a metallic taste. It was a hot day. We had been thrashing around in the pool for hours. I was thirsty. But I didn't get another.

2.31/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.09/5  rDev -21.1%

2.6/5  rDev -1.9%

3.3/5  rDev +24.5%

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

2.88/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a light golden amber with a one finger white head with good retention and lacing. Standard adjunct aroma of sweet malt, mild grassy hops and corn, a hint of soap. Flavor follows; sweet malt, hints of bread, grassy hops and biscuit, tapers off quickly to a watery light sweet malt finish with an odd, light residual unflavored bitterness. Light bodied, but decent carbonation. A fairly typical adjunct lager, lighter in finish than normal, but as usual, harmless and bland. Wouldn't be too bad on a hot Honduran afternoon, but just ticker fodder for me.

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.25/5  rDev +22.6%

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

2.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: golden/straw colored; effervescent; big frothy white head

Smell: citrusy; malty; grassy

Taste: like a slightly hoppy water; very thin throughout; like a megabrew pale lager; not much to talk about here; probably good on a hot day after mowing the lawn, but otherwise, meh.

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%