Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA | Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

1st batches were 7.0% ABV

Added by WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

Ratings: 4,235 |  Reviews: 611
4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

I have nothing but good to say about this beer. packed with flavor with every gulp.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Served at 45 degrees. Picked this one up at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati. Fathead's just started distributing to Indiana, so I will have access to this all of the time!

A - Dull orange, with a 1/4 inch white head. Nice lacing where the head once was. The smell makes the beer look better.

S - As I'm admiring the look of this beer I get a strong whiff of tropical fruit. I'm catching the smell from 3 feet away. Wonder what this was dry-hopped with? Simcoe? Columbus? Pine cone, tropical fruit, heavy citrus.

T - Pineapple, grapefruit, awesome bitterness. Simcoe, Columbus, and Centennial is a great combo. Perfectly hopped with a great malt balance.

M - Crisp and extremely drinkable at 7.5%, watch out!

O - Great beer. Now I know what all of the hype is about. Thanks Fathead's for making such a great beer.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Excellent IPA. The scent conjures foggy images of late afternoon tea time (perhaps solely herbal) at a sophisticated cat lady's domicile. Typically I would consider this repugnant, though for some inexplicable reason, I find myself memorized by the humulus lupulus. Mouthfeel is exemplary. Consider this hophead's intractable palate sufficiently placated.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my favorite IPA that I've ever had; sampled this beaut at the FatHeads on the Southside of Pittsburgh in a pint glass. Could God have crafted 16.9 oz more perfectly? I'm not sure...

A: Glorious- cloudy, but just right for something this powerful. The head was about an inch on this pour, and felt... right.

S: So fruity, earthy, and mellow. Citrus and pine are the predominant notes, but there's others. My early-spring nostrils didn't catch them all, so I'll come back soon to update.

T: Those same citrus and pine notes, plus apple and pineapple (good work, Fatheads). Oh, and I forgot- HOPS. SO MANY HOPS AND I LOVE IT.

M: Great carbonation, but a little (and I mean little) more light than I would normally ask for.

O: Amazing. My all-time favorite beer.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a brilliant copper glowing slightly orange and red when held toward the light with a bright white head building up big and large. I love this beer, Fathead's has done it again and released when of my all time favorite IPAs. Aroma has big floral, citrus, and fruit filled hop bursts going on...this beer is great. I'm not sure which hops they use, but it has the most tropical fruit smells I've ever tasted straight up mango/pineapple. The most sought after West Coast style IPA brewed outside of Cleveland. This brand new case I picked says brewed in small batches to ensure quality I believe it. This an 87 IBU hop monster that gives out hop flavor with malt sweetness all day, it's balanced yet aggressive and uncivilized according to the label. Hop candy all day, a beer that flows with each sip anybody into hops needs to try this beer, I get layers of grapefruit and bright hop flavors that are literally rocking my world. Mouthfeel is resinous but not heavy, light to medium bodied ample flowing carbonation excellent drinkable IPA for those of us in the know. I know this beer is amazing I've been drinking it on draft at Fathead's since it came out.

Update: bottled on 5/14/13 @ 10:34 am drank on 5/18/13@ 4:23 pm I love fresh IPA and I love the Head Hunter!!!

Hops are screaming in this sample, beautiful cohesive force of big hops and malts I can't believe this is available this fresh in my area bought at Valley Wine Cellar in Steubenville, Ohio. It made it down here from the production brewery in 3 days I bought it on 5/17/13...that's effective distribution. Good job to the Premium beverage folks I can't believe it. Pairing an Erik Espinosa Habano from the La Zona Factory in Esteli, Nicaragua beautiful Habano wrapper spicy Nica tobacco, fills the nares with black pepper, the palate with leather and spice beautiful cigar to pair with a badass West coast style IPA. If you never had the pleasure of drinking this on tap please find it fresh in bottles amazing experience, every hophead around this area should have I'm about to pick up the rest of the bottles.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this beer numerous times on draft at Fathead's under circumstances not conducive for reviewing (but hella fun). I believe this bottle is the first batch of Headhunter ever bottled, and I also believe it's relatively fresh. I've always been very impressed by this as a draft, so I'm excited to see how this bottle goes.

A: Nice, thick, frothy, 1 finger head sits on top of a light colored translucent golden beer. Carbonation appears appropriate.

S: Big huge smell of grapefruit, and maybe a hint of mango or pineapple.

T: Huge bitter flavor of grapefruit just overwhelms. It's simultaneously light, smooth, and refreshing, and yet full of delightfully bitter grapefruit hops, and I'm still picking up on some hints of mango or maybe pineapple. I don't think I've ever picked up on that mango/pineapple nuance on draft at the Saloon. Only here in the bottle, and it really adds another level of character to this brew. This beer starts purely bitter before those grapefruit/citrus flavors rush in at the middle and carry this beer to the finish line.

This beer is ferociously dank. Probably my favorite beer of all beers. Probably.

M: Light and smooth with perfect carbonation, this beer then finishes with a perfect punch of hop citrus that coats the tongue very well.

D: This beer is delightfully hoppy. By far and away the best IPA I've come across East of Michigan. This is a great beer. Highly drinkable.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Absolutely the best single IPA ever. Perfect balance. Love the hoppy taste and the aroma to make one's knees buckle. Have had it at Fat Heads here in Pittsburgh as well as the one in Cleveland, and it was better in Pittsburgh for some reason. Absolutely love this beer!

It started showing up in the local beer distributor. I (of course) picked up a case. It is good, but it definitely didn't stand out as much as it does on tap.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A: A Nice copper-like appearance. Medium, frothy, quickly diminishing head. Pretty.

S: Amazing. Strong and wonderful. Grapefruit, citrus, and pine.

T: Citrus, Pine, Grapefruit hits hard early. Bitterness kicks in quickly and lasts. Nothing objectionable about the taste here. A slight malt taste on the end. Big flavor in this beer. One of the better IPA's I've drank.

M: Medium-light. Decent carbonation. Nice.

D: Very drinkable. Lovely. The bitterness leaves a long lasting taste in your mouth. There is so much going on with this beer. Enjoy a four pack.

O: I like this beer a lot. I've had several big name IPA's. Pliny, Hop Slam, Ruination, Devil Dancer, Sculpin, Dreadnaught etc....This beer hangs in there with all of them. Quickly becoming one of my favorites. Another great beer from the Midwest.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Huge thanks to my Aunt Terri and Uncle Paul for coming through in the clutch on scoring these bottles at the brewery. Love you guys!

Served in a Nonic pint...

A: Pours a pale golden orange with a beautiful three finger, foamy, eggshell white head. Head fades down to a half finger, but it lingers for the duration. Gorgeous tightly beaded lacing coats the sides of the glass. Top notch stuff here.

S: Oh wow, this has a delightful nose. Loads of tropical fruit flavors, including grapefruit, orange, mango, tangerine. Pine needles hover in the background throughout. Just a hint of grassiness on the back end. Absolutely gorgeous bouquet, one of the best I've encountered.

T: Super creamy, juicy, and fruity. Absolutely spectacular. Starts with grapefruit and orange zest, then the pine resin kicks in full gear as bittering hops wash over the mid. Incredible floral flavors provide lightness and balance. Solid malt base on this as well. The finish has some lingering and assertive bitterness, but it blends so purely with sweet citrus. Superb from start to finish.

M: Surprisingly light bodied for all the flavors that are present. Great interplay between malt and hop here: it's spicy, sweet, savory, refreshing all at once.

O: Standing O. Worth every bit of the hype and praise that is has received all these years. Between this and White Rajah, Cleveland may have the best two 1-2 IPA combo in the country...that includes you, San Fran (Blind Pig and Pliny are awesome, but don't have anything on this duo). Very different from White Rajah, a little bit more body on this one and subtle complexity. More pine resin and herbal notes on this as well. A hop head's delight from start to finish. Worth the wait.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks to my beer store person for letting me get my hands on a 4pk. (First time in my area!)
Poured from a "stubby" 12.0z bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear gold in color, with a huge billowy head of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Wow! An absolute boquet of pineapple, pine and tropical fruit.
Taste-Fantastic, full-on hop-slap to the tastebuds. Huge citrus flavor of pineapple,grapefruit, mango perfectly blanced with wave after wave of juicy, tangy hops. Exceptional flavor, hop nectar. One of the best American IPA's I have ever had. Awesome flavor will make you sit up and take notice. An absolute must for any hophead. I feel suddenly compelled to drive to Middleburg Ohio. Road trip!
Seek this beer out. A fresh bottle will bring a flavor-gasm to your tastebuds. Get Some!!

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had is before but I feel like now is the time to review since I can now but it in a nice four pack or case at my local.

A: Nice fluffy head with a deep ambery golden nectar underneath.

S: I get some great fruit. Mango, grapefruit and pineapple

T: Unlike some other IPA's with a tropical fruit nose, I get a nice straight piney bitterness with hits of citrus ... exactly what I want.

M: It doesn't seem to have the malt backbone and full mouth feel to carry hop explosion, but amazingly it works ... it works great.

O: This is a must have, it's up there with Pliny the Elder and Heady topper. Easily the best IPA that I can get 4 for $10.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5