Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA | Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

4.33/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,266 |  Reviews: 615
3.69/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

12oz bottle from Delock's Discount Liquors (Munster, IN). 8.99/ 4 pack. No bottling date. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours hazy deep amber with notable turbidity and about one finger of pale thick head that leave lacing aplenty.

Smells of citrus and piney hops with an obvious sweet bready malt note behind them.

Tastes of bold bitter dank hops. Citrus rind, wet grass, dank garlic/onion, grapefruit and a little bready malt back there too. Really nice blend. Very bitter but plenty of flavor goin on.

Slick, medium body with moderate carbonation. Long bitter citrus peel finish.

Good stuff here. I would definately get this pretty regularly if I could buy it in Georgia. Worth a try for sure if you like dank bitter IPAs.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle acquired in a trade with mps
Bottled on: 02/06/14
Served in a pint glass

The nearly crystal clear, medium amber liquid was topped by a two-finger tall, tight, foamy, eggshell colored crown. A clingy, drippy ring of lacing coated the top portion of the glass. The head quickly fell to a thin cap.

The aroma was both hoppy and sweet. Citrusy, c-style hops were matched by a robust caramel malt sweetness. Candy coated orange peel notes were apparent. Spicy and zesty. Hints of juicy tangerine came through as well.

A mix of sweet, caramel malts and candied citrus peel led things off in the flavor profile. Zesty and juicy with strong grapefruit notes. Slightly spicy. As the beer moved along the palate, it transitioned from being sweet and citrusy to dry and brutally bitter. Lemon pith and white grapefruit rind appeared in the finish. Lots of resiny pine sap as well.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and fairly nondescript. Slightly thin for the style and the ABV. The liquid contained a spritzy, large bubbled effervescence that turned slightly creamy once it settled on the palate.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA is a heavily malted and aggressively hopped palate wrecker of an IPA. I personally would have preferred less caramel malt sweetness on the front end and less hop bitterness on the finish, but the same amount of overall flavor. This reminded me a lot of some old-school West Coast IPAs that were deemed "extreme" before the age of extreme beers.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon