Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA | Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

4.33/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,267 |  Reviews: 616

3.05/5  rDev -29.6%

Tried this from the tap at Fatheads in North Olmsted Ohio. Everything fit and I though I was going to enjoy this one. Until I actually tried it.

As described in the previous tasting: "Uncivilized and aggressive, this West Coast styled IPA packs wicked hops flavors and aroma. Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade hops define this brew's signature pine and citrus notes".

I love IPAs but this one wasnt for me. The overpowering pine flavor killed this beer. Smell, Taste and after taste. Drank it all to get my money worth and then moved on. Their Weizenbock is wonderful though.

3.1/5  rDev -28.4%

3.11/5  rDev -28.2%

12 oz bottle purchased as a four pack at a grocery store during my recent visit to Columbus. No visible bottle dating.

Medium yellow orange with some soapy bubblage and oily lace. Looks fine.

Big piney bitterness and menthol on the nose. Some light sugared papaya lies underneath. Alcohol is evident. Gingerbread malts rise up upon warming. Each time I opened one of these I hoped that it would smell more lively, or more my speed, but alas it's just an average smelling IPA.

Surprisingly, there's just loads of booze taste here. Menthol coolness from the nose make a cameo here as well. Like someone exhaled their Newport directly into my glass. God those were gross and I smoked pretty much everything. Big bitter waves ride throughout and crash upon the shores of my tasting places, leaving a long tongue scraping finish. The tease of tropicality or light fruits from the nose plays as more a whisper than a shout. Harsh spicy rye-like notes provide a supple bed on which these sinful deeds are consummated.

Medium bodied, on the lower-to-moderate end of carbonation, and rather oily in body. She weighs a bit on the tongue.

Well, I had a bottle of this on the same day I had both Columbus Bodhi and Columbus IPA on tap. Granted, the Bodhi is classified as a double, but that is both arbitrary and meaningless as I believe these beers are the same abv. In my know nothing but know what I like opinion, this beers gets smoked by both Columbus versions. The abrasive bitterness and shocking booziness give no quarter. Not nearly as good as its reviews for my tastes.

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I generally don't like IPAs but this one is tolerable for me. Nice citrusy flavor with a bite but not too bitter.

3.18/5  rDev -26.6%

Yellow, golden pour with a bright white head that clings to the glass. Minor grapefruit smell with malt in the background. I'm also getting an old sock type smell. Hmmm. Unusual bitter taste which doesn't improve much at all. Metallic tasting. Not too pleasant. Very thin mouthfeel. This wasn't the greatest beer but it was unusual for an IPA. If you're looking for a different experience in an IPA...this is your huckleberry.

3.2/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.21/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -25.4%

Generously hooked up on a trade from Stigs. Poured into my Darkness snifter.

I am going to point out the obvious of this review. It's short, and you will read why.

Pours a nice burnt honey color with about a fingers width of off white head. Smell.... Without a doubt it smells like bunk weed. You can't get around it. Taste is you guessed it... bunk weed with a bit of hop bite. Hop oil slightly coats the tongue in the backend.

I can't rave about this, or in fact call it bad. Very average ipa but it's weed flavored. You take it from there.

3.23/5  rDev -25.4%

I was let down with this one but will be giving it another chance when I find some fresher bottles.

Good smell and feel to it but the taste was disappointing to where it made we wonder how old it was or if it was a bad batch I got. There was a distinctive bad bitterness to the finish, hopefully not standard for this brew.

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

interesting copper-pink color, sulfur smell in the nose, clear color, little to no lace, short finish, metallic taste, stinky, short medium-length finish, little less than average overall finish. wouldn't seek out this beer, there are much better examples to choose from.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon