#1 Abbey Ale | Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

fatheadscleveland.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by NittanyBeerFan on 08-22-2009

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the tap at Fat Head's in Pittsburgh into a wine/chalice crossover glass.

A: Pours a deeply hazy coppery peach with absolutely no head at all. All I get for bubbles is a thin ring around the outside edge of the glass. The yeast lingers, suspended in the beer. Lacing is minimal.

S: I feel like a citrus orchard just exploded in my nostrils. Peach and apricot pound other aromas into submission, but orange and lemon zest are able to fight their way through, to add their contribution. The 4 strains of yeast can be perceived with no problem here, and there is also a nice malty dryness to the scent.

T: Full-bodied to the max! Malts and spice are major contributors to this beer. Finish is warm as a result of the cinnamony spice and the alcohol working together. There is also a strong yeasty character, finishing in a malty dryness that is akin to a tripel. The fruity notes from the smell are fleeting, and do not contribute as much as I had hoped.

M/D: Medium texture, with, as stated before, a nice dry finish. Exhale is yeasty and slightly warm. There is a bit of a sour twinge in the front of this taste. The beer is a bit heavy in its affect, and as a result, I would enjoy another one of these another time, but there is no way that I would spring for one right now. Overall, a very enjoyable beer, and if you end up at Fat Head's, I recommend it!

#1 Abbey Ale from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon