Hop JuJu Imperial IPA

Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Notes: The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.
Reviews: 305 | Ratings: 2,349 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by callowaybp:
callowaybp from Ohio

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Missed out on it last year, just picked it up yesterday. A very dank and juicy smelling beer with a great look. Probably the best IPA from Ohio. Very smooth and easy to drink for an imperial.

Feb 15, 2017
FogDishHead from Ohio

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk.

Feb 19, 2015
Sultan-of-Suds

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Felt compelled to review since this is as close to perfect as you can get with a DIPA. Smell is amazing, one of the most pungent, fruity, dank beers I have ever put the sniffer to. Taste is just as good, this beer is no joke. If this beer doesn't rank in your top 10 for IPA's of all time then you should stick to coors light.

Feb 20, 2016
gopens44 from Virginia

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Thank you very much @FlakyBiscuit for these! Although he has created an addict now....

I find it very difficult to rate this because I have never had this much "gushing" to do. I really don't want to come off as melodramatic or like I am a fanboy, but this one just floored me.

Okay, looked like a beer dream. Clear, golden and just the right amount of bubble swimmers joining the most picture perfect DIPA head I've ever seen. Solid 3/4" of slightly off-cream fluff that lent itself to definition perfect lacing.

The aroma and taste are so similar that they become one thing. Fruity, piney and just the most delicate amount of sweetness to balance out the muted grapefruit bitterness on finish. Wow. I cannot put to words the majesty of the taste this has. I can only describe it as very similar to the fist time I had Hopslam (like 5 years ago maybe?) only without the cloyingly sweet aftertaste. And drinkable? No heat whatsoever and for a big beer, I could just gulp this like water.

I've yet to try Pliny, but based on every other DIPA I have had, this one has no peer.

Mar 10, 2015
TheElectricOne from Rhode Island

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle, courtesy of @Iron79head into a tulip glass:

Appearance: pours a orangy-amber body, with a super sudsy and lingering head. Leaves tons and tons and tons of lacing. Mostly translucent, perhaps a little bit of haze in there.

Aroma: grapefruit and citrus mostly, little bit of sweetness. Juicy hops dominate.

Taste: following the aroma, it's mostly citrus and juicy hops, though there is a little bit more sweetness than I'd prefer, though this is a heavy DIPA so that's to be expected....flavor-wise, I got grapefruit, orange, and some pineapple. Lots of bitterness on the finish too.

Feel: full-bodied and creamy, with a super smooth finish.

Overall: a really good, super-hoppy IIPA!

May 10, 2016
Aaron8099

My all time favorite Beer

Feb 09, 2015
FriedSlug from North Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I live this beer. The clear, orange beer gives off a singular scent that is the perfect marriage of grapefruit, orange, mango and pine. Every sniff brings one of the components to the front. The taste is pleasantly sweet with all the citrus and pine bitterness you would want in a beer. This is an amazing beer.

Mar 18, 2017
WVbeergeek from West Virginia

Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, I usually catch every specialty release at Fathead's Pittsburgh but this one has always eluded me. I was thrilled to hear that it won this year's GABF Gold medal, and it beat my favorite 3F's Permanent Funeral out in blind tastings. This sample is super fresh bottled on 2/13/14...I love the packaging and the artwork on the label..."a supernatural beer".

Pours into a Fathead's Head Hunter pint glass glowing orange copper with a big white head filling up past the rim of the glass. Big chunks of sporadic lacing, aromatics hit hard with dank resinous hops everything I love about Head Hunter and then some, this time around there's grapefruit peel, tropical passionfruit notes, hop resins it's like diving into a bale of dried hops...what a great smelling DIPA. That happens to drink as easily as a single IPA.

Let's talk about flavors...layered resins of hop oils take on the palate, bringing lime/grapefruit citrus pith, dank cannabis oils, tropical fruit (think papaya/passionfruit combo), just an unrelenting level of hop bitterness that actually hits the palate in all the right ways! It comes off balanced not sugar coated hops, or caramelized sugars just a depth of malt presence and hop burps come of your nares after a few sips. Truly magnificent DIPA, to make something this drinkable, critics complain about 13.99 a 4 pack it's a bargain with the quality and amount of hops used in this offering. Alcohol definitely has a presence but it doesn't burn, it seems to be balanced into the combination of big malt and extraordinary hop components but be warned this beer is 9% abv and 100 walloping IBUs!

Matt Cole has quickly become a presence in the craft beer world after honing his skills at Rocky River in Ohio, he had a transcending meet up with Glen Benigni (excuse spelling) the founder of Fat Head's Pittsburgh which lead to a brewpub in New Olmstead, Ohio which lead to the production brewery pumping out bottles and very soon cans from Fathead's. The first time I visited Fathead's New Olmstead, it was a couple years ago Matt was loading his vehicle with GABF medals at that time...I am grateful to be close enough and part of the experience and I'm proud to see a somewhat local brewer/franchise gaining such deserved recognition for their talent, hardwork, and passion.

Sorry about the long review that pretty much pays homage to one of my favorite brewers in the world, but the mouthfeel on this beer is perfect with big hop oils gliding across the palate, creamy texture hop layers just so easy going down this beer is truly ridiculous!

Overall, a beer I can't live without now that I've tasted it, it best become part of their rotation if it doesn't we are all going to be let down, but the adds I've seen recently for Fathead's represents that this beer is going to be a standby offering, if not I really hope to see the next release come sooner than later. I wasn't being greedy I plan on sharing, and yes I grabbed the last 11 bottles available at my local! That's how rare this beer is!!!

Feb 21, 2014
West08 from Ohio

For me tbis beer is as good as it gets. It's so juicy and fruity. Tons of flavor that just keeps coming. Perfection!!!!! If you can get your hands on tbis beer do so. You won't be let down.

Mar 07, 2016
Lingenbrau from Oregon

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Holy Juju! This beer pours beautifully clean golden orange with a foamy sudsy bone white head that leaves a good ring and sticks well. In your face with dank pine and citrus the second the cap pops off the top of the bottle. You can smell that this is gonna be resinous and sticky! The flavor burst with that same citrus and pine, and a good amount of sweetness to keep the wonderful bitterness just in check. Feel definitely has that sticky richness to it. Nice carbonation, good medium full body, and bitter as hell. Overall, this is my kind of DIPA, and wish it were more readily available and accessible out here. Cheers!

Mar 03, 2017
agreenman19 from Connecticut

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - pours a dank, dirty amber. The kind of color you'd expect to find a cricket in at your local history museum gift shop.

S - bright juicy tropical fruits up front. Heavy on the guava and mango. Some light pine in the back.

T - dank pine up front, but not the dreary morbid kinda dankness. More of a cheerful fresh resin punch. Sweet bubblegum and citrusy caramel. An absolute TON of hops. Hits hard from every direction. Monster pine notes, but also lots of balancing juice. The 100 IBU hides itself quite nicely until the very end, leaving a puckering bitter lasting impression. Hot damn.

F - definitely feeling the high alcohol. Low on carb and high on viscosity, but somehow isn't syrupy. Well done. Fluffy and smooth. So pleasant.

O - this beer has it all! Juice, hops, flavor out the wazoo. Many different stages and all of them are awesome!

Mar 21, 2016
gillagorilla from Maryland

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Chimay glass (bottled on 2/18/15, had on 3/18/15)

A: Nice burnished copper body with a three finger head that likes to linger with some lacing.
S: This is just straight papaya. Like a goddamn fruit salad. Tropical Island in a glass.
T: Tons of flavor from tons of hops. Surprisingly balanced but still a ton of pine and resin, especially on the backside.
M: Perfect level of carbonation for this beer. Just a bit of fuzz that just tickles the tongue and spreads the flavor.
O: 100 IBUs and 9% ABV goes a long way. This one produces some delicious burps. Pick one up!

Mar 20, 2015
rodbeermunch from Nevada

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Man Fat Heads makes some dank hoppy beers, this one is no exception. Review #2300.

Has an innocent enough appearance, its yellow, plenty of clarity, white head 3/4". The aroma pops huge, grapefruit and tropical. Taste is a super dry malt, light affair, with massive impact from a plethora of hop varieties and quantity. Just wow. Not even that heavy of a bitterness either.

This is a world class hoppy beer, hides alcohol well too without the use of any sticky caramel like malts.

Sep 16, 2016
waterski from Indiana

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shared from a great beer friend. A gift of two 12 oz bottles. Bottle date 03/17. Fresh! Poured into my usual wide mouthed tasting glass. What a pour! An orange copper color with a nice white lacing across the top. Not really a head. No leftover residue on the glass. It's like a pine tree up one nostril and an orange tree up the other and a pineapple shoved down your throat. In a good way. To graphic? Very well balanced with all of the scents and tastes you should expect from an imperial IPA. I feel it's best temperature is chilled, but not to cold (45-50). It's one of my top tastings and that's with 25 years of experience in the beer business. A proud offering.

Mar 21, 2017
Thomas_Wikman from Texas

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best Imperial IPAs I’ve ever had.

(L) It has a clear amber hue with a slightly off white one inch thick head.

(A) The aroma is pleasantly fruity and piney.

(T) There’s some citrusy caramel malt back bone, and lots of pine, grapefruit, tropical fruit, dankness, all very well balanced. Normally I would think 100 IBU is too bitter for me. Well, the 100 IBU is all there but it is a very pleasant dank “topnotch IPA” kind of bitterness.

(F) Despite the IBU it’s smooth and crisp and I did not notice the high alcohol level. It is very juicy and easy to drink too fast. It is a top notch Imperial IPA in my opinion.

Mar 30, 2016
popery from California

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Feb 11, 2013
TheBigBoy from Pennsylvania

3.46/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Good, but dips strength keeps me limited

Apr 08, 2017
frenchblood21 from Ohio

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into tuliped pint glass. Date of review is 2/14/14 (Valentine's Day)

Appearance- Hard pour leads to a finger and a half of creamy white head. Head fades slowly and leaves great lacing. This beer looks like a brand, spanking-new, penny.

Smell- I get mango, kiwi and honey right away. This is followed by pear and white grapes. Really hoping it taste like it smells.

Taste- Way more bitter than I had anticipated. I know I know, it's an imperial IPA what do I expect. The nose is so complex and so beautiful, I just expected more then bitter hops on the tongue. I am starting to detect tropical fruits and strawberries.

Mouthfeel- This 9% beer goes down smoother than lemonade on a hot August day. This is, by far, the smoothest 9%+ beer I have ever enjoyed. A bit thinner than I have come to expect from the style, but does not detract from the quality whatsoever.

Overall- I bought a whole case at the release party and I would do it again! So freaking good! I always judge a beer on if I would trade/pay shipping for it and the answer for this beer is YES.

Feb 15, 2014

Stevebeergeek from North Carolina

Sep 23, 2014
danh53 from Florida

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pine, orange rind, brown sugar, grapefruit. Hops are faint. This bottle is two months old. Mouth feel is full and clean. Very nice.

Apr 18, 2017
tchabot91 from North Carolina

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

May 31, 2016
Coronaeus from Canada

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mar 30, 2019