Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout | Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 303
3.26/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle > pint glass

A - Pours deep dark black brown, very minimal head.
S - Roasted coffee beans, toffee, caramel, chocolate, sweet bready malt
T - More like a normal stout, with a hint of chocolate. I really get next to nothing from the word "cream" attached to the name. Bitter bread, yeasty malt, coffee, a little vanilla, and you gather the chocolate mid-way through. Not very smooth.
M - Suprisingly thin, nothing good really lingers through on your tongue.
O - I had high hopes for this beer, and its rather a letdown. I was expecting a chocolate bomb, but smooth silky texture, and it has neither. Its a thin standard stout with hints of chocolate and typical other stout flavors.
I really dont gather anything from the "cream" part of this beer either. This seems to have had potential, but got lost somewhere in a sea of mediocrity.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Was lucky enough to be in the store when this new release arrived and quickly purchased a 6 pack. Just reading the description of this beer, made my mouth water. Sounded like a great dessert beer. When I got home, I poured this into a snifter. The pour showed a thinner body than expected with the color being somewhere between coca cola and black. A small amount of off-white head forming on top. The smell of vanilla and dark cocoa was nice but subdued. The flavor of this stout was very nice but mild. I definitely got the bittersweet chocolate up front finishing with nice vanilla notes. The beer finished relatively clean. The mouthfeel however, was much thinner then I expected.

Overall, in my opinion, this beer is good and worth a try. It does not have the depth of chocolate that a Youngs, Sam Smith or Rogue have. It would pair well with desserts and would be a nice beer to introduce to non-craft beer drinkers. Perhaps the delicious write up set expectations too high.

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I wanted to love this beer. I ran out and got some when they had it in the brewpub. The taste is minimal, slight chocolate with maybe a pinch of vanilla. What really disappointed me was the mouth feel. Very, very thin. Imo I think they should of started with an imperial stout for this beer. Drinkable but I won't seek it out again. Hippy sippy from these guys is fantastic, I think that's what I was thinking when I got it. To each his own. Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Fat Heads Brewery and Saloon
Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout

Pours a very dark, oily black color. Oompa Loompa leaves some scattered lacing from a chocolatey looking off white foam.

In the aroma, smoke, dark chocolate and a bit floral. Smells pretty inviting like a good stout should.

The chocolatey nose gives way to a charcoal like, burnt toast flavor. Dark chocolates emerge in the aftertaste, as well as a small alcohol heat. Low to moderate hop bitterness and flavor, but this beer is far from cloying, or really, being all that sweet.

Full bodied, smooth, with a high level of carbonation. Leaves behind a little bit of dark chocolate on the palate.

OVERALL: A pretty good stout, but not my favorite Fat Heads has done. I was hoping for a bit more chocolate or vanilla flavor given the name. Still, a well made beverage and I would certainly drink this again.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last