Affligem Noël | Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem

Added by Bierman9 on 12-18-2001

Liked:
4.08/5
Alströms:

Excuse the weak technical review here, but I had this beer after I had already had many other fine beers, guests were over, Christmas songs were on, dinner was served and I couldn't have picked a better beer to go with the festive atmosphere. It was simple exceptional. Merry Christmas.

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

First time trying this holiday bier...Outstanding!

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Very dark brown hazy body, ruby red in color when light is held to the glass. Really big head, tan and foamy, fades to an uneven rocky surface. Smell is pure beligian. Spicy and woody, slightly musty, with plenty of alcohol aromas. Taste is very alcoholic, spicy and earthy with plenty of hops on the fade. A nice big beer for the winter months. I am celebrating the Super Bowl with this stuff, which I would be celbrating like Chriitsmas if the Vikings were still in seaon. Good stuff, get it.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

I got the last two bottles of last year's Affligem Noel at my local beverage shop after hearing lots of good things about it. I pop the cork and pour, and the magic begins. The huge, foamy head soon becomes craggy in the manner of limestone formations. The lacing is luxuriant, and has a distinctive way of rolling down the glass as a unit after each sip. The liquid is a beautiful mahogany.

The first thing I taste is a lovely, smooth caramel flavor. The carbonation is perfect; it makes itself known without being overdone. The taste is spicy, with an anise flavor that's well-blended with the caramel.

This is one of _those_ beers. You know, the ones where you take your first sip and say "Hey, this is pretty good!" and by the time you're done with your first glass you're ready to give the brewmaster a kidney. The taste is big, smooth, round, and buttery. If I had one word to describe it, it would be "sumptuous". It's not tremendously complicated, but it's constructed so well - out of just a few perfectly-tooled elements - that it brings to mind a masterfully carved piece of woodwork. Incredibly smooth despite its richness, it sweeps over my palate like a thick sheet of velvet. This is one exceptional beer. I'll be getting a bunch of this and aging it for next Christmas.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Package: 750 ml corked bottle, 2002 vintage.

Appearance: A lot of carbonation as I poured it into my glass produced a beautiful creamy tan head formed from lots of tiny bubbles. Beer was slightly opaque brown/slight reddish color. Very inviting.

Smell: Lots of different spices (including cinnamon), fruity aromas (including apricot and plums perhaps), and also some alcohol. Fantastic.

Taste: Oh my! The malt, the spices (so many, including the cinnamon I detected in the aroma), also a little fruity. Superb. A total delight.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation really fizzles in my mouth, allowing the flavors to burst all over. Joy.

Drinkability: Sheer pleasure.

Comments: This has to be one of my all time favorites. If I could live on this beer alone, I would. It is to be treasured. As the tag that came with the bottle says, "Brewed to be Shared." Thank you Stu (from Shoreline Beverage on Long Island) for recommending this to me. After having this one bottle, I went back and bought the other three that he had left.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

22oz. "bomber" bottle with a cork dated 9/07. Pours (into a tulip glass) a spectacular iced-tea-ish brown color with a large, foamy off-white Belgian head. The typical pillar of carbination rises from where the stem meets the bottom of the bowl. The aroma is rich & sweet, with hints of dark fruit, molasses & honey with a slight hint of the alcohol. 1st sip is rich with a dryness that belies the sweet aroma. Notes of raisin & plum come to mind, with a slight hint of honey. There's a hint of spice (cinnamon & nutmeg) on the swallow with an oh-so-slight alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is sparkly & effervescent! The 9% alcohol is very well hidden, almost TOO well!! DAMN THIS IS GOOD!!! I grabbed a bottle just for sampling & rating purposes...I hope there's a few left!!!

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Very smooth with a lovely deep reddish color. I'm not good at describing all of the flavors and nuances of different beers, but this was an incredible brew imho. Nice thick head and left nice trails down the glass. Had an almost peppery finish to it on the back of the palate. Great beer at a reasonable price.

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%

After three years of living in Belgium I want to slap myself silly for never trying this one.

For my first stab at Affligem's beer, this was a great first impression, leaving me to consume quite a few of these over the course of December 2010 and into January 2011.

The beer came in a 750ml bottle, corked, with cage and poured smoothly into a glass. Color was a dark brown with a tint of read and a creamy white head that held up nicely for several minutes.

Smelling this beer was almost as good as enjoying it and puts right into the Holiday/Winter season mood.
The beer lifts up a gentle and yet strikingly gorgeous aroma of dark fruits, caramel, and spices.

The taste of Affligem's Noel was simply amazing. The beer was easy to drink with a medium body, and light on the palate and stomach with bold flavors. The toasted flavor of the mentioned fruits and light sweetness has been excellently brewed and prepared by Affligem.

This beer is perfect for a cold night, inside or on an enclosed patio, enjoyed with friends or family all night long.

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

EVERYWHERE I went in Paris, I would see the Affligem Noël advertisements. Every Metro stop, every newstand, even almost every bloody building had the nice looking poster showing a proper goblet of this fine elixir surrounded by the spices within it. I've had this years version once prior to my trip. It was delicious, no 'bout a doubt it. These omnipresent ads took over my world while in France. I needed to have more. I just did. Only problem NOWHERE had the actual beer!

After looking in about a dozen shops and probably peering into two dozen bars (even many places listed in the Paris Beerfly), I all but gave up. My travelmates were all enthralled. What was the delicious nectar that evaded us so? We can it be? Finally, one bar we sauntered by had it on draught, but we were lunchbound and no one else wanted to pop in for a glass.

When I got home to LA, I stopped in my local shop - a place I knew would have it. Sure enough, it was delicious as could be.

Pouring into my chalice, it looked exactly like Coca-Cola. Sniffing at it, I even get some of that Coke smell - not much mind you, most is filled with spices: clove, cinnamon, and star anise. A slight bready yeastiness seeps out as well. The spices and malt characters shined in the flavor – even more so than the nose. It was a subtle sweetness that rounded the balance. Delicious.

A fine Belgian holiday offering.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

It poured a Chestnut brown with a nice thick tan head into a tulip glass. I could smell chocolate, caramel, nuts, and spices right off the bat. The taste was pretty much the same and the flavors just pop on the palate. It has a great balance between the spices and the sugars. I feel that the '08 batch was right up there with the Bernardus Christmas Ale. Very tasty beer and very easy to drink. I am glad that I had it this year.

Affligem Noël from Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem