Fischer Tradition Amber

Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 368 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by wizzle:
wizzle from Maryland

4.2/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

I love Fischer Amber. Poured from a 22 oz into a pint glass. Rich golden/coppery color. Average head. Lots of spicy herbs on the nose. From Alsace so it actually reminds me a little bit of a big spicy Gewurztraminer. Solid depth of flavor and just totally drinkable. Sadly the price is just too high these days for what it is - a solid beer that is totally food friendly and a pleasure to quaff.

Oct 07, 2008
rdorsey30 from Georgia

4.48/5  rDev +52.4%

I ordered this beer not knowing what I was getting. When it was brought to me it was in a swing top bottle. 5/26/12

I thought it had a strange smell at first but the aroma became smoother after tasting it. It had a very light amber color and it produced a nice amount of head.

I enjoyed this beer very much.

May 30, 2012
Paulie1965

4.18/5  rDev +42.2%

When I opened the bottle got a nice aroma. Nice smooth taste and nice even taste on my palet. I would recommend this to any beer drinker.

I received a 30 beer from around the world from my mom. So far so good and I will definetly rate all of them as I drink them.

Jul 15, 2012
garymuchow from Minnesota

4.22/5  rDev +43.5%

Boy, compared to other reviews it seems like we are drinking different beers. I like this beer quite a bit. Aroma had a nice mix with a full malt aroma followed by a nice European hop aroma. Really a nice aroma. Poured with a big full head, nice amber color and clear. Nice lacing, even on repours. Taste is lighter overall, especially initially (gets heavier later) and compared to the aroma. Mostly malty and nice hops for balancing, yet becomes more complex as consummed. The taste moves to a little dryness, then even goes to some bitterness. Has a sense of richness without being heavy. Some hard water qualities too. Seems like a fairly complex beer for a lager. Thinner to medium mouthfeel, yet richness makes it seem fuller. Lighter carbonation overall. Even with the richness and complexity still a easy drinking beer if need be, or could be a slower drinker too. Refreshing qualities of a lager. And finally the bottle offers a good resource for home brewers. This beer was easily worth the money spent.

Jan 10, 2003
Realale from Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

More deep gold with a blush of red than full blown amber. Bright white, extremely fine head settles quickly to an incomplete cap leaving minimal lacing.

Nose is caramel malt, earthy, leafy hop, and a not insubstantial whiff of sulfur. Some mineral comes through with time.

Pretty thin in the mouth. Some malt, but not much caramel, and not much depth. There is a pretty good dose of sulfur on the finish that it is not very pleasant.

Substantial mineral content really accentuates the carbonation in this one. Not my ideal vision of fine lager carbonation. Drinkable, but little to recommend it. This is bottle 4 of my six pack. The cap indicates a best before date, but I'll be damned if I can decipher it (and I speak passable drinking French too).

Oct 07, 2007
Meerkey from Virginia

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a Pilsner glass

A: Pale copper with golden tints; thick white head that thins out pretty quickly; lots of bubbles

S: Lots of grain with some hops and a hint of apple. Not an exceptional smell, but kind of nice

T: Grains dominate followed by apple , maybe a little bitterness of hops in the aftertaste and the apple lingers; crisp

M: Light carbonation; pretty smooth, but mostly because of the wateriness; wet paper? rather disappointing

D: good, because it's completely inoffensive in taste, the low point is the mouthfeel

Sep 25, 2010
tang214 from Texas

3.37/5  rDev +14.6%

It has golden, dark straw color to it. The smell is aromatic with a nutty flavor and minimal hops. It has a decent taste much better than most malt liqours I usually drink. It has a caramel flavor that stands out on my tongue. The mouthfeel is just okay but the drinkability is better and makes it a very smooth drink. This is just an average brew with really cool packaging. I like it just okay but probably won't get it again, unless there are some unforeseen circumstances.

Sep 27, 2002
JayS2629 from Alabama

A- Caramel copper color, patchy lace with little retention.

S- Faint smell of malt with touch of earthy, musty hope

T- Sweet malts, honey and caramel characteristics with a musty tone of hops in the back. Biscuits.

M- Light, crisp and refreshing

D- Easy to drink, just plain jane stuff.

Jan 29, 2011
Riggo from Oklahoma

2.46/5  rDev -16.3%

It's not good news when the best thing about a beer is the bottle, but i'm afraid that's the case with Fischer Amber. Poured into the glass, this beer is truly uninspiring, appearing a bland, dull, clear pale amber. Head is a little better--very white with some retention and decent lacing. Smell is a little caramelly, but also sounds sour notes of mildew. Some apple as well. Taste is steely, watery, bland and overly sweet. Notes of apple. An odd bitterness lays awkwardly on top of the cloying sweetness, adding to the unpleasantness rather than balancing. Mouthfeel is a little watery and the whole experience is much too much like drinking soda pop, and not nearly as enjoyable. Beyond the attractive bottle, the pretty strikingly white head and some decent lacing, there's not much here for me to like.

Apr 01, 2005
tobelerone from New Jersey

Sep 02, 2013
TheLongBeachBum from California

2.11/5  rDev -28.2%

Presentation: A very distinctive 1 Pint 6 fl.oz. (22 ounce) brown glass bottle which has the words ‘FISCHER Bière d’Alsace’ embossed on the neck, with four large oval motifs embossed on the concave body. The unique look is completed with the used of a ceramic swing top. No freshness date, but like the Fischer Bitter that I just had, there is a half-smudged black ink mark on the ceramic cap that may well have been a legible date at some point. Only a thin orange paper label covering the swing top decorates the bottle. Listed as ‘Fischer Alsace Amber Tradition’, and 6.0% alc./vol.

Appearance: Perfectly clear medium brown body that has some dark amber qualities. Exceptional clarity reveals no activity, not even a lone streamer. A massive frothy and crusty dirty white head quickly fills my handled Mug. The rocky, uneven, crusty head floats easily but it soon collapses as you drink. Only a frequent top up helps to reinstate the head.

Nose: Rather off putting, whilst it looks good in the glass, the aromas soon have me reeling. Sticky lumpy malts, sweet caramel and brown sugar. Clumpy.

Taste: A very sickly Amber this one, like a below average homebrewed Brown Ale swamped with brown sugars. It has some redemption from a nutty after taste, and a mildly intriguing malt-bitterness, but it has a hospital cleanliness that does not sit well with the sugary feel that it exhibits. Very strange, hope it doesn’t stain my white sink when I pour it away.

Mouthfeel: I’m hard pressed to concentrate this far into my Review. The mouthfeel is sticky brown sugar, Gobstopper like cloying on the cheeks. I’ve had enough of this one.

Drinkability: It’s hard to work your way through this one, the sickly brown sugary feel purveys throughout and is quite the distraction. I tried eating some sharp cheddar with this and not even that could entice me to keep at it. I have to be honest and say the last 25% of the bottle got dumped. Crap!? Oui!!!

Overall: Not very good, the Fischer Bitter was uniquely French so I cut that some slack, but the Fischer Amber Tradition is just awful. Cost $2.89 which wasn’t too bad…but I would have rather spent it on something else.

Jan 17, 2005
engagechad from Virginia

3.04/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer poured with a wimpy head and weak soapy head. The brew looks thin and watery and the head just look like someone blended some water in a blender with some soap, no density. Smelled okay, it smells of nuts and sweet malt. Tasted like the smell which wasn't bad but it was terribly thin and weak. The taste was nutty and uninspiring.

Mar 07, 2011
stirgy from Pennsylvania

3.66/5  rDev +24.5%

This poured a clear and golden orange color. Small amount of bubbles seem to slowly rise up to join the small filmy head. The aroma is weak, but has some slight grainy character. Also, has winey and fruity notes. An orange spiciness becomes evident as the beer warms. The taste is light, piquant, winey and has some berry tartness. I am reminded of a sweet and sour lemonade as I drink this. The finish is bittersweet and savory. Very easy to drink.

Sep 19, 2004
moneyfunnel from California

4.75/5  rDev +61.6%

Apr 28, 2012
yen157 from New Jersey

3.5/5  rDev +19%

This beer was as gold as it gets. I’m not talking about yellow gold, but a brilliant gold flecked with orange. The beer had a bright white head marred by some very large bubbles. Noticeable grassy hops, some butterscotch, and something sweet and sour. I’ll call it green apple or cherry candy for the lack of something better. Nice lager malt flavor and a dry finish made even dryer from acidity, astringency, and alcohol. Hops are sure and steady and counter the potential awkwardness (not imbalance, awkwardness) that would exist without them. As the beer warms a very tiny amount of toasted malt comes out. Carbonation and body were very fitting for this beer.

I’ve had other Fischer beers, but none that I remember that well. This is exactly what I would expect from Alsace. I am a huge fan of the wines, but this beer would pair very well with the regional cuisine.

Apr 11, 2003
weaselchew from Pennsylvania

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

Sep 11, 2012
BeerResearcher from Massachusetts

I guess I'm in the minority here for liking this beer, but I can't help it...it's good...not great - good. It pours a tannish amber and holds a firm and rocky head with some trails and sticky lace. The malt aroma works itself through a mildly sulfuric hop smell. The full malt body is lightly caramel sweet. The hops provide and lime-like, lightly metallic and a faint tea-like qualities. A light mineral taste is noticed throughout. This is a balanced brew that finishes clean. Nice recapable bottle!

Sep 20, 2003
rsdaugherty from Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

Bomber into pint glass
A – 1 finger frothy off white head reduced quickly, scattered traces of lacing on pour, more while drinking, robust moderate big bubble carbonation in a amber brew 3
S – The nose does not build excitement, a mineral scent, grain & mild malt 2.5
T – (Too) much like the scent, grains with a sweetness, notable but mild malt and hop personality, a minor granny smith apple note to it 3
M – Light body, a smooth wet drink on the thin side 2.5
O – OK but not memorable, a bland easy drinking Frenchie I will not buy again, perhaps a baby step for the BMC drinker, no love, maybe like but that’s probably an overstatement also, a weak 3

Jan 26, 2012
bewareOFpenguin from Massachusetts

3.85/5  rDev +31%

The way I remembered Grolsch as a teenager. The swing cap makes for a good reseal, but hey, who's resealing? Poured a nice light amber color, had a refined hops taste, but the sweetness was still there. Not my kind of style, but still very drinkable. I'd hate to drink too much of this, it must taste terrible coming up.

Dec 16, 2002
RuckusDu from Colorado

1.76/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - A finger of slightly off white head - slight brown. Foam sticks around for a bit. The body is clear and a nice amber color. Not a bad looking beer.

S - Mostly just lager yeast. Some wood, slight orange/lemon citrus, and a little Corona funk.

T - Get it out. Gym sock, some bitter malts, and very vegital.

M - There is something that makes my tongue tingle a little, but not in a good way. It's like the beer is trying to kill my taste buds so I can't tell how bad it is. Otherwise, good carbonation which holds up a weaker body.

O - I can't believe I used to drink this stuff. Well, not Fischer's specifically, but I'm sure if I would have tried this five years ago I would have told you that's how beer should taste. No it's not. I was just looking for a flip-top bottle.

Sep 01, 2012
Gusler from Arizona

2.26/5  rDev -23.1%

As it sets in the glass a crystal clear amber color, the head quite large and frothy, bright white in color and as it desiccates; a fine covering lace is formed. Nose is mostly malt, crisp and clean, the start is somewhat sweet and malt laden, top is skeletal in it feel to the palate. Finish has a mild carbonation, the hops apropos to the style, droughty aftertaste, can’t say this beer does much for me.

Mar 28, 2003
danedelman from Pennsylvania

I will be honest, I was not expecting much but getting a cool bottle to put my homebrew in. This is a great beer compared to mass produced beer. Great Session beer too.

A-coppery brown, like a yueng ling lager.

S-malt has some lager smells too even though it is an ale, or so it says. A little on the grainy side but not bad

T-malty, smooth nice and light

M-like a light beer

I got an awesome bottle to put much better brew in. It was drinkable. That is pretty much it.

M-easy drinking

Nov 29, 2011
Shiloh from Canada (ON)

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

For a French brew this is quite nice.... For those of quality enjoying a nice brew this is acceptable.
Pours a dark clear amber with slight head and tall glass cling.
Body is medium and carbonation is very limited,
Aroma is a light skunk. Taste is to the malts with a lingering hop back. Nothing special here...

Oct 13, 2003
json83 from Ohio

Nov 23, 2011
Bunnyhop from Georgia

3.52/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear, reddish-golden, medium dark French Amber Ale, with a large, rocky, white head. The smell is herbal and sweet, with a hint of spice. The taste has an acidic beginning followed by a smooth sweetness. The body is somewhat "medium" and flat in my mouth. Overall I was surprised by the taste, and it was a bit flat, but I Iiked it...drinkable. I did notice though, as it warmed up I liked it less, it started to become a bit vinegary.

(source: Savannah, GA)