Fischer Tradition Amber | Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by kbub6f on 08-22-2001

2.9

3.01/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from the 22 oz swingtop into a pint glass. The appearance is the best attribute of this beer- bold, clear dark amber with a generous light ecru head that persists and leaves moderate lacing until the end. Fun to look at... The nose was not as impressive- a bit of grain, a bit of fruit (apple?) and ever-so slight suggestion that this bottle had been light-skunked- darn...
Taste went along with the nose. There was sweetness up front, and subtle apple favors there in the mix, offset then by an almost sour aftertaste. Mouthfeel was disappointing- a burst of carbonation and hops, that faded quickly. Aftertaste left little on the palate. Maybe I got a bad bottle and should give this one another try.

2.37/5  rDev -18.3%

Wow... this wasn't that great really. Had a good head when I poured it but that was about it.

Smell seemed a bit off, not skunky though but no real aroma. BLAND.

Taste... Hmmm... BLAND, yep, not that great, better than macro swill but still not great.

Mouth seemed on par, had another amber ale from Mactarnahans that was better, just thin.

I could barely finish the glass, luckily the bottle is a swing top so I can try and suck it down later, but BLEH!!! Bad batch or oxidization maybe? I expected a bit more from Fischer.

2.93/5  rDev +1%

Like the previous poster, I love the larger swingtop bottles for homebrew.

Appearance: Clear amber tint, a little on pale side.

Aroma: Dusty, bready aroma. Hint of hops.

Flavor/Body: Slightly sweet malt character, with a touch of hops in the finish. Medium-low body.

Not a very interesting beer; it's too bad none of Fischer's good beers are imported to the US.

2.77/5  rDev -4.5%

Got this in the 22oz schwing-top bottle just because I wanted the bottle for homebrew.

Gorgeous in the glass, thick off-white head ( ecru? swiss coffee? navaho white?) with lots of texture. It stays, too, and leaves a very nice lace on the glass. The beer itself is a perfect clear amber (well duh!).

This particular bottle was slightly skunky. I may ammend this review if I ever get a fresher bottle. Other than that, there was very little aroma, very similar to any euro-macro.

Even skunked, this isn't a bad beer, though. A faint sweet malt flavor without too much of an aftertaste. No bitterness at all, and no hop flavor or aroma (other than the skunkiness). Would go well with spicy food, I imagine.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin after drinking through such a promising head. If it was a tastier beer, that thick head would be great. But, after a few drinks, it becomes an annoyance. Thick but flavorless.

Drinkability? Not so good. Like I said, Like a girl who's pretty and nothing else. OK to look at, but doesn't doo much for you otherwise. This beer is Brittiny Spears, and I'd rather be drinking Janice Joplin.

3.66/5  rDev +26.2%

This poured a clear and golden orange color. Small amount of bubbles seem to slowly rise up to join the small filmy head. The aroma is weak, but has some slight grainy character. Also, has winey and fruity notes. An orange spiciness becomes evident as the beer warms. The taste is light, piquant, winey and has some berry tartness. I am reminded of a sweet and sour lemonade as I drink this. The finish is bittersweet and savory. Very easy to drink.

2.63/5  rDev -9.3%

This beer poured a clear caramel color, decent head with some retention, that left lacing.
smell was of grains, hint of hops, and apples.
taste: was light hops, grain, fruity notes, and light malt, with an alcohol bite on the end.
mouthfeel was bubbly, light, and tart
drinkability: Tasted like French, King Cobra! maybe slightly better, but I don't think I'll drink it again!

3.78/5  rDev +30.3%

Pours a clear light copper with a nice tan head. Sheets of lace drape the glass. This is a good looking brew.

Smells of sweet malt and grassy hops. This is a pretty fragrant beer.

The taste is pretty mild, although there is a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness.

The mouthfeel is thin and refreshing. This is what most macro beers should aspire to be: refreshing and flavorful.

For a country known for its wine and champagne, not a bad effort for beer. I really enjoyed this beer. I could down a few of these in one sitting and not think twice about it.

3.08/5  rDev +6.2%

This was a brown beer with almost no head. Not the best looking beer I have seen, but I held out hope.

The aroma was mostly of medium-dark malt, but there was an overlaying skunkiness that didn't sit too well with me.

The taste was very weak, and moderately grainy. Not too well-balanced and not that impressive.

I was not impressed by this one.

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Nice amber color. Creamy head, and visible carbonation.

Aroma: Biscuit aroma.

Taste: Very balanced in taste. Starts with a thick malt feel and that is quickly moved aside by an slightly acidic or green apple bitterness. Finishes with an astringent hopness.

1.71/5  rDev -41%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

1pt 6oz swingtop bottle purchased at the Alpine Deli in Spokane for $2.95. My first Alsatian beer. Hell, it's my first French beer. Cool looking bottle. Sadly, it's the best thing about this one.

This one was amber colored, but it was the most pale amber I've ever seen. Big, bubbly off-white head that dropped quickly, but lots of foam remained behind as lace.

Should a beer smell like an old house? That's what this smells like to me. There's a musty aroma like a wet paper bag that's been give time to age. There's a malty sweetness, but it's cowering in fear behind the dust odors.

Citrusy taste not unlike grapefruit, but combined with a flavor that I can only describe as what I'd expect a wet paper grocery sack to taste like. Yuck! Did this go bad? Or is it just an awful beer? What flavor I can detect that I presume to have been intentional leads me to determine I need not try this again to find out.

Mouthfeel is fine. The only thing that was adequate about this beer. This is drinkable if your local water supply has been contaminated by raw sewage or poisosned by terrorists. Otherwise, steer well clear. Cool looking bottle, though. As soon as I figure out how to drink THAT, I'll alter the score.

2.46/5  rDev -15.2%

Kudos for the flip top bottle alone - it makes bottling homebrew much easier when you have enough of these babies lying about.

I poured this straight into the glass (no tilt) and was rewarded with a thick off-white head that nevertheless receded rapidly. Color was your basic brown-red; reminded me of marbles I used to play with as a kid. The aroma was the first disappointment. There's something unpleasant coming from it, although I couldn't ID it (wet dog? laundry?)

The taste is equally nondescript. It starts off...beery, for lack of a better adjective. Midpoint has a flash of hop and sweet malt, which quickly vanishes to a barely noticeable aftertaste. It thankfully doesn't carry that ashtray flavor their lager does. Mouthfeel borders on watery. It lingers briefly, and then is gone. Not much kick to this one. It's drinkable, but unless the only other beer available is low-carb, there's better choices out there.

3.78/5  rDev +30.3%

Not bad. A dark reddish colour amber, just as the name states. Pleasant smell with a bit of carmel, which I like, and a bit of grassiness, which I don't like. The taste is smooth, almost faintly creamy. A tiny bit of the grass in the smell shows up in the taste, however. Not enough grass in smell or taste to totally discourage me, though. There is a small amout of carbonation to this brew over what I typically allow for myself. Again however,as with the grassy smell and taste, there isn't enough carbonation over my personal limit to completely ruin this for me. Overall, I say this one has much room for improvement, but I still like it all the same. I think I'd buy it again.

2.23/5  rDev -23.1%

Looks like a nice red lager (even though it states ale on the neckband). Smell is off the charts of any amber I have ever come across. A strong carmel/malt/grass smell is almost overpowering. Bland. Very bland. Not much sweetness for an amber, creamy head with a malty presence. For a supposed ale the lack of hops is frustrating. Whe

1.88/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance – Light orange in color with some lively carbonation and a decent head.

Smell – The aroma here is very mild and musty. There’s a bit of cheap malts in there and maybe a hop or two, but otherwise not much else going on.

Taste – Ugh! The front is quite promising with a bit of hoppiness, but the Fischer ashtray is in full effect by the time this hits the back of your tongue. D-scusting.

Mouthfeel – Thin and watery.

Sinkability – A perfect “10” in the “sinkability” category.

Comments – This comes in a 22 oz swing top, which promptly fell off the bottle when I tried to open it. It was almost comical if it all hadn't cost me six bucks.

2.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a yellowish copper red (amber, I guess!) with a moderate-large white head of very large bubbles (I am finding I don't like heads with large bubbles); the head dies down to a small covering of the beer in just a minute or two.

Aroma- moderate malty smell that is not very distinctive. Flavor is semi-mediciney and slightly sweet. Slightly hoppy aftertaste. There is some basic sour flavor that is just off, and I can't place it , but I don't like it.

2.24/5  rDev -22.8%

Flip top brown bottle without a date, served in a Fischer tulip glass.
Aroma: A heavy bread like yeast/metallic smell.
Appearance: Hazy brown amber with a fluffy white head. Nice lacing.
Flavor: Hrm… the yeasty note in the aroma comes through strongly, and not quite pleasantly. A toasted malt flavor peeks it head out from all that yeast. There is a wet cardboard/oxidation flavor as well
Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body that triggers a mild chew. A bit of oil extends the aftertaste.
Overall Impression: Different. The bready yeast element was a bit much for me, but did remind me of “fresh beer”. Drinkability… I’m not up for another, but it is fairly light and I could see others making a session out of it.

2.58/5  rDev -11%

A clean orange/amber beer. Not much of a head and quickly disappers. Aroma wavered between malt sweet and fruity sour. There was a hint of sweetness at begining of the swallow. Followed quickly by a light bitterness and finished with that sour fruit note. The fruit aspect could be described as winey. But not the strong alcohol wine like characteristic of a barleywine. It comes in a 22 oz bottle which was all I could take.

1.64/5  rDev -43.4%

Pours a dark Gold color.

Smells malty and metallic, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste? This has a taste? Mild metal and malt possibly? Damn close to flavorless. Ok maybe it has a rusty nails flavor, but it sure isn't good.

Mouthfeel is water.

Drinkability? Well I didn't puke! Leaves a nasty lingering something on your tongue!

2.86/5  rDev -1.4%

Flip tops are like the beer bottle equivalent of chrome rims or hydrolics or something -- very cool. Sadly, that's the most exciting part of this beer.

Brown beer. White head. End of story. Fits the bill nicely, so no complaints. But this isn't going to win "Photogenic Beer of the Year" either. Caramel and wet, sweet grainy soup in the nose. Only mildly more interesting on the palate -- feels lively but tastes flat. Slightly vinegary grain and a tap water sensation fill the insides of the mouth. Mild hop presence that borders on more astringent than bitter.

3.13/5  rDev +7.9%

First I have to say I love the way this beer is packaged, looks the part.
22 oz swing top amber coloured glass.
Actually not a bad looking beer for the style light brown with a nice sized pure white head, attractive carbonation strings.
smell is well average inoffensive but nothing really stands out..least it smells fresh.
Taste while its thirst quenching is very one dimensional..sweet, very sugary..malts..not much hops to speak of...begins to get grainy after a while.
Its average on the tongue.
Its drinkable yet it would get boring very fast.

2.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Package: 22oz. broad-shouldered, bas-reliefed, pinch-waisted, swingtop brown bottle. 6.0% ABV.

Cost: $1.99/bottle at Valley Liquors

Presentation: Imperial pint glass at ~45 º

Appearance: Swingtop opened with a sharp “pop.” Pour generated a moist, pillowy, fine-grained, barely off-white head. Lacing was an almost un-interrupted column down the glass. Body was remarkably clear, amber in color with russet undertones. Makes one think the beer will be very “watery.” Carbonation was finely beaded.

Smell: Sweetly grainy with very faint hoppy notes. Almost cream ale like in its aroma.

Taste: Sweetly malty upfront, with a faint bitterness cutting through the malt and alcohol. The flavor is dominated by the grains and bready character, without enough spiciness to provide character. There is a touch of ale, fruitiness, despite being a lager.

Mouthfeel: Actually has a pleasant mouthfeel, with a warming alcohol base and fine carbonation. Relatively heavy in body (especially for a lager!).

Drinkability: One bottle of this at a sitting is more than enough! The alcohol is none too subtle, and the sweetness becomes a bit overwhelming, especially at it warms. However, I’ve tasted much worse in my time.

Backwash: To be honest, I bought 2 of these primarily because I needed the swingtop bottles, and frankly it was a cheaper option than ordering empties for much more! It’s been some time since I actually had Fischer, and I suppose my tastes have changed somewhat, but I do remember drinking Fischer fondly in France, as well as at home. I guess time has passed this beer by. While not a great beer, it is far superior to many macros, and something that the average person is probably going to like as long it is served on the cold side. Nothing objectionable, but nothing remarkable either.

2.86/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting bottle is the first thing I can say for this. Kinda fun. Anyways, for the rest of the beer, here we go
Poured a brownish red with a pourous slightly off white head. The head didn't last long. Left decent lacing around the glass. Smelled like bready malts and whisps of maybe corn or something along those veins. Not real impressed. Tasted malty. Maybe a slight hint of hops in the aftertaste, but not much there. Thin and crisp mouthfeel. On and hot summer day I'm sure this would be a great thirst quincher, however, I wasn't that impressed and will probably never drink this again. Not bad, but there are much better options out there for half the price.

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

16.9 oz brown bottle with the cool ceramic swing top. Great looking package.

Beer pours a nice dark gold with a decent fluffy head. Decent lacing.

Beer has some malt in the nose, perhaps a bit of green grain as well. Very light smelling especially for an ale.

On the first taste, I get quite a bit of malt sweetness. A bit of alcohol, honey and fruit come in a bit latter. Not very complex, but maybe would be a god introductory beer for someone who is ready to take a small step towards better beers.

Mouthfeel is nice, soft & creamy. This may be the best aspect of the beer.

Drinkability falls squarely in the average range.

1.89/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: light bronze color, with a nicely speckled off-whitish head atop.
Aroma: not too nice! Sharp, pungent, not ale-like at all, stinks like an American macro, totally unpleasant, wickedly so.
Taste: the palate isn't happy, either..thin-bodied, with an atrociousness unmatched. A grimace overtakes the mouth each time I take a sip. There's hints of fruitiness underneath that awfulness, but there's no redemption following that abominal beginning.
Bad, bad, bad!
Stick to wine and capitulation, France!

4.07/5  rDev +40.3%

Its crystal clear amber body reveals golden highlights when held to the light; and it holds its creamy off-white head fairly well leaving thin splashes of lace as it goes. The nose is distinctly malty, caramelish and somewhat nutty. The body is medium and it's very fine carbonation leaves it lightly crisp and then somewhat creamy in the mouth. The maltiness returns to dominate the flavor although some fruitiness and a bit of ethyl acetate make their way through as well. It's balanced towards maltiness with a sublime bitterness yet it still finishes fairly dry. Quite enjoyable, and probably quite nice with some hard cheese and crusty bread.

Fischer Tradition Amber from Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace