Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Petite Mort | Black Raven Brewing Co.

La Petite MortLa Petite Mort

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

Belgian Abbey Strong Brown 2011 release 7/14/2011 draft pour at the brewery.
Nice dark deep red/brown appearance.
Nothing significant on the nose that I could pick up.
Taste nutty, sweet, balanced.
Mouthfeel smooth and somewhat on the thin side.
Much fanfair from my favorite brewery left me a little disappointed. Drinkable alright but too much so. I expected more.
I'm glad I tried it but wouldn't go out of my way for it again.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A- Poured from cask, this supposedly the last cask of this batch of La Petite Mort from the summer. Black Raven is releasing a new Bourbon La Petite Mort tomorrow which should be amazing. Anyways, to the beer!

Glass came to me with a light head and and left lots of bubbles around the sides. Lacing is alright. Color is a dark amber or maroon.

S- Very fruity like plums and pineapple and just of citrus. Very good smelling and the aging i am sure brought out a lot in this brew.

T- This has a nice woody flavor to it. All of the fruits from the nose come out on the palate. I also get a dose of hops on the back end which is just awesome.

M- Goes down and in very smooth. Cannot taste the high ABV at all which is nice.

D- At this ABV, it is dangerously drinkable. So smooth and good. I could start and finish my night with something like. Thanks Black Raven and can't wait to try the bourbon LPM.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

I had this on-tap in a snifter at Special Brews in Lynnwood, WA.

Appearance: rich dark amber with minimal haze and a thin layer of creamy ivory foam. Very attractive indeed.

Smell: lightly toasty, spicy aroma. Quite subtle.

Taste: very toasty and biscuity malt with a lightly fruity, yeasty character; there's also just a touch of chocolate here. It reminds me very much of a dubbel. Not bad for the style, but in general it's a bit biscuity for my taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess. Not as largely creamy as a nice bottle-conditioned Belgian, but nice enough.

Overall: it is the rare Belgian dark ale/dubbel/amber that grabs me, and alas this beer is not among them. Not a bad beer at all for the style, but not really to my taste.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Hopvine in Seattle. In a snifter.

It appears a deep, dark, brackish ruby with a solid finger of off-white froth as a head.

Smells like bourbon, raisins, cherries, maple, and molasses. A tempting aroma.

It tastes pretty much exactly like it smells, but with the addition of a classically Belgian, bready finish. The flavor also has more vanilla, I think.

The feel isn't overly spritzy for a Belgian ale, which I like. Sweet and syrupy.

Really a lovely dark Belgian ale.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
La Petite Mort from Black Raven Brewing Co.