Wieckse Witte | De Ridder Brewery

Netherlands

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

1.55/5  rDev -57.5%

Reviewing this a few times, to make sure i didn't sample a bad one (also i'm usually a fan of wheat beer, so i'm a little frustrated by this one, as it's so widely available in shops here).

I will repeat my verdict from last time though: this beer needs a better yeast. The smell is just not acceptable to me.

((Cloudy golden, with a thin head.
The smell is not pleasant at all (it tries to be banana, but it hangs between dirty wet socks and cod liver oil ). I hesitated to even taste this beer.

I did taste it. It's slightly sour, and the skunky smell has a twin on my tongue.
I couldn't find much else that could make it a little better.))

I hope people who like to try wheatbeers, do try some others too. It can be so much better than this.

1.63/5  rDev -55.3%

This Witbier pours a very hazy yellow and forms a white, 1 inch head that quickly settles into a thin white film. The carbonation is almost not perceptible. The nose has hints of yeast and spice, but is also weak. No spice or malt on the palate, and it is short. I sense some sour notes and the body is very light and thin. Given other reviews, I will have to get another bottling (this one is 5184528Y0941), however, if this is what it has to give, I will not be back!

2.06/5  rDev -43.6%

Call me prejudiced but since I detest anything made (or owned) by Heineken Wieckse Witte is no exception. Nevertheless, since my girlfriend thought I'd like it I had to try it.

Packaged in the cowardly 30 cl eurobottles it pours a pale yellow, almost headless glassful. There's almost no yeast, the brew is clear. The thin layer of froth quickly disappears, leaving a ring around the glass inside. The smell is musty and sweet. I can't put my finger on what it tastes like but it's rather sweet. Maybe Nutrasweet, I don't know. It reminds me of the cheapo Lidl Weizenbier (Grafenwalder). Light carbonation. Unpleasant, slightly bitter aftertaste. All in all something I'd avoid, opting for bubbly water instead...

2.07/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a hazy, pale yellow color with a weak carbonation and two fingers of white foamy head.
The aroma is wheaty, slighty yeasty (not nice) along with some fruits to improve the situation.
The taste starts sweet and spicy and continues with a bit of yeastiness. Finish is bitter, but another reminder why I don't really like wheat beers. Not a bad one, just not my style.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

"Wieckse Witte." Served on draught into a .4L wieckse glass in a cafe in Amsterdam. Cost was 4.00 euro. Reviewed from notes taken July 2010.

A: Pours a one finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and average retention. Body colour is a cloudy light yellow. Semitransparent.

Sm: Lemon citrus esters including orange peel. Cream and barley. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Refreshing lemon citrus esters with honeycomb and orange peel, all stacked atop a very weak barley foundation. The balrey base is watery and throws off the balance. That said, it's built to refresh and in this it succeeds.

Mf: Smooth and wet - too wet, almost watery.

Dr: A simple refreshing witbier, but a highly priced one by Dutch standards. It's worth a try, and I'd have it again at a lower price.

C

Bottle of 300 ml, at home. ABV 5%.
One finger of white head with average activity in the glass. Colour is pale golden, hazy and semi-transparent body. Foam has an average retention, leabing a thin line lingering around once gone.
Smell of citrus fruits, oranges.
Taste is not as sweet as I expected, with the orange peel quite notable.The korinader gives it some spicy notes, mostly on the aftertaste.
Medium body, very light carbonation. Very drinkable and a very good choice for a hot summer day.

Light gold color fairly cloudy, medium head. Slightly spicy aroma. A light refreshing wit. Mild taste. Kind of spicy, coriander, clove and citrus. Taste is a little tart. Mouthfeel is full. Aftertaste is clean. Finish is a little lemony. Not very spicy for a wit, but all-in-all a nice drinkable beer.

Beer bottle (33 cl.), tasted in 2002.

Appearance : orange color, with a white foam head.
Smell : aroama dominated by wheat.
Taste and mouthfeel : sweet and spicy flavours, a sour background finish.
Drinkability : an average beer in the style Belgian witbier.

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

Draught: This seemed as if it was going to be just a basic Wit, and I was right. It was a standard cloudy light golden color. There was a bit of a white head. The aroma was a bit yeasty, citric and a hint of corriander. Tastes along the same lines. A nice beer for sitting with at an outdoor cafe.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

From my notes 5/27/07 - Pours a two-finger white head that fades quickly but leaving a good lace. Cloudy, pale amber color. Faint wheat nose. Good carbonation and light bodied. Flavor is wheat, lemon and spice. Slight sour finish. On-tap at Hard Rock Cafe Amsterdam, NL. €5.15 ($7.06) for 0.5L glass.

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

I had this on a recent visit to Amsterdam. I didn't order it myself (not a big Witbier fan) it was brought to me during someone else's turn to buy a round. It's always nice to try the local beers and was glad to have the opportunity to sample this on but I was not blown away.

Appearance is typical for a white, light straw color, very hazy with a large amount of very active carbonation. Flavor was the typical yeasty banana flavor of the style. Not terrible but not my favorite. Overall it was a very easy beer to drink and I'm glad I tried it. Probably wont' get it again.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice, but a little less spicy than i like, slightly more malty in flavour than other wheats, very smooth, lacks a good bite in the flavour, but generally pretty good, a tad bit of regreshing acidity.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A small 30 cl. bottle poured into a wine glass. Pours with a light haze and a slim cap of foam. Retention and lace are light and the lack of carbonation seems to reveal itself throughout.

Wheaty on the nose though lacking in that 'wit' sense and lacking any definitive spice character.

Taste improves a bit with an arguably odd lemon character along with some imbued spice and a good dose of wheat.

Offers a decent feel with a spritzy lemon delivery. The underbelly remains a bit weak however, a bit lacking in depth and character for the style. Yet quite drinkable nonetheless. Overall a rather lightly spiced wit be it from added spices or the yeast itself.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wieckse Witte from De Ridder Brewery