Black Cabin Smoked Ale | Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Black Cabin Smoked AleBlack Cabin Smoked Ale

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.
Missouri, United States
crownvalleybrewery.com

Style: Smoked Beer

The flavorful, smoky undertones of our smoked ale are enhanced by the chocolate, black and smoked malt.

Added by biggred1 on 11-19-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

1.25/5  rDev -61.5%

3.17/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear deep amber color with a small head that fades quickly.

S: Aroma of roasted malt, nuts, and fairly mild touch of smoke.

T: Taste of roasted malt, nuts with fairly mild smokiness. Mild bitterness with bit of a burnt malt aftertaste.

F: Moderate body, smooth and a bit light on flavor.

O: Not a fan of Smoked Ales, but at least this didn’t taste of ashtray, like some do.

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.79/5  rDev -14.2%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a clear walnut brown body with a sticky beige head that last a short bit and a gentle carbonation trailing up the side.

S- The fresh plastic band-aid note has a faint buttery finish.

T- The brown malt hint is nice but soon taken over by the band-aid smoke flavor and a watery finish is followed by a slight tartness that lingers in the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a scrubbing fizz in the finish.

O- The full smoke flavor is all band-aids with no malt support or other character to give it some depth or taste. It was too harsh to finish.

2.57/5  rDev -20.9%

I have enjoyed several good smoked beers (normally more in the range of a porter or a stout) so I was excited to see this one in my local liquor store. Unfortunately this beer was a disappointment.

It pours a nice dark honey color. Clear with an off-white head.

Extremely smokey aroma upon bottle opening.

The flavor... it is nothing but smoke, at least at first. As it warms I could pick up a little bit of maltyness but it was truthful a stretch to taste anything but the smoke.

I think this beer would have worked better as a porter with more toasted malt to balance out the smoke.

Medium mouthfeel. The finish is a little bit sweet.

I definitely recommend drinking this beer on the warm side. Cellar temperature might be too cool even. As it warms more flavors come out. When it is cold, all you can taste is the smoke.

One more idea... this beer might make an interesting mixer, maybe with bourbon. The smokeyness might work well there. But by itself... next time I will pass.

Poured into a snifter

A: Opaque amber. Half finger tan head that turns to big bubbles. Thick lacing.

S: Smoky, vanilla.

T: Follows nose. Barbecue, malts, chocolate. Robust. Smooth.

M: Medium with medium carbonation. Chewy.

O: One and done. Not bad, but nothing I'd search for again.

2.39/5  rDev -26.5%

OK, so this is called a smoked ale. I will try to be kind to its style, although I am not familiar with "smoked beers".
It's appearance is the best thing going for it. Pours a deep amber with a tan head that has decent retention.
Smell, gosh reminds me of a wet ashtray. It does have a little sweet maltiness that peaks through but the smokiness is way too strong for me.
Taste, is slightly less strong on the smoke side but campfire ashes still dominate.
Teach me to stear clear of smokec ales in the future.
This was an $8.99, 6pack mistake. I did not make it through my first bottle. My son in law could not tolerate the deep "surrey of wet ashes" smell either.

2.64/5  rDev -18.8%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Transparent copper color with nice tan head

Smell: Sweet scent with a smell of smoke as well

Taste: Smokey flavor with a slight metallic taste.

Note: I do not have a lot of smoked beers to compare this to but I assume it is average. I really have a hard time getting past the smoke flavor though. I personally do not care for this at all but was trying to rate for the category.

1.41/5  rDev -56.6%

Lapsang souchong tea in a beer. Would be a 4.5 if you drink that.

If you can drink liquid smoke then this is the stuff. I even use smoking chips when grilling pizza and this was a drain pour after 1 sip. I always give things a couple sips or bites if it is food but it was not possible. Pure smoke, nothing else. I even tried to return it and just left the other 5 on the counter at the store it was so overpowering. Needs a warning label.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Black Cabin Smoked Ale from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.