Gunslinger Double India Pale Ale
Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Gunslinger Double India Pale AleGunslinger Double India Pale Ale
Score:
Ranked #37,944
3.69 | pDev: 15.18%
From:
Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Gunslinger Double India Pale AleGunslinger Double India Pale Ale
Notes: Our Gunslinger Double India Pale Ale starts with a rich malt base to which we add hops, hops and more hops. This skillful blend of malt sweetness and aggressive hoppiness will rule your senses! After the addition of Columbus, simcoe, centennial and citra hops at various points of the brewing process, we reach the final IBU count of 93.

Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 235 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.14/5  rDev +12.2%

Well, the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody has stumped me on this one! Where did you come from, sir & when were you born? :={} Apparently, one does not ask such questions of a Gunslinger.

From the Bottle: "Gunslinger Double IPA is a robust and malty beer, with and intense hop profile. Well balanced, rich malt flavors with powerful hop notes from the use of five different hop varieties."; "Brewing a Missouri legend".

I Pop!ped the cap just as he Pop!ped off his first shot. Ol' boy must be wielding a cannon, but I fortified with some of Sheriff Johnny Law's best haw-haw before I stepped out for this one. Things were moving in slow motion for me as I ducked that chunk of incoming lead & began my own slow pour. I am not a fan, in my advancing age, of quickness & as he got off his second shot, I conducted an in-glass swirl of my own. I love watching just under two fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head appear. Does my heart proud, Color was a prouder Deep-Amber/Light-Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Reminded me of my gal, Linda Lou's hair. She's right purty & I mean to put a pebble on her finger if'n I can get outta this here jam! That's the problem with being a Gunslinger - ever' young buck wants to prove that he's bigger, badder, faster, younger, dumber & fuller of cum. Well, that's how I made my bones, but I never looked into the future & here I am. My nose was filled with a musty, minty, caramel-like sweetness. O, Sweetness, don't let 'em bury me! I want to be cremated with some mint & scattered like air freshener. Dang, that boy's gettin' closer! Time to stand up like a Gunslinger & not a yellow-bellied snake. [Whistles] My six-shooter purrs like a kitten when I get to fannin' like one a them Geisha girls on our Field Trip to the Orient last year! Yessir, things may be finishing dry 'round these parts, but don't you get to thinking that aging takes the edge off. [Spits in disgust].

Oct 08, 2018
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden/orange color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits, malts. Taste is fruity, sweet, a strong malt backbone, very little bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer, but if you are looking for a hop bomb, this ain't it.

Sep 29, 2017
jmd1978 from Missouri

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Hazey Amber color with a nice little head on it. Nose is very citrus forward with nice floral and malty notes. Taste strong orange, tangerine, mango and hints of piney hops with caramel and toffee. Lingers nicely on the palate. For the 93 IBUs I expected it to be more hoppy but it's was quite balanced. Very good beer considering wine is their main business. However I prefer more hops in the taste.

Jul 10, 2016
SPLITGRIN from Kentucky

3.11/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours from the bottle hazy amber in tone. The pour creates about a full inch of off white head. Head has decent retention. Nose is musky and has cologne like fragrance that is generated by the malt and hop profiles. Not all that bad of a smell just kind of odd. The flavor follows the nose quite closely. Musky and zesty with a nice balance between the piney hops and spicy malt characters. overall a solidly drinkable beer but not great.

Jul 07, 2015
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Crown Valley Brewing "Gunslinger" Double India Pale Ale
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.49 @ Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

Appearance: Hazy deep gold/amber body beneath a fluffy head of off-white. The head retention is excellent but the lacing leaves a little bit to be desired.

Aroma: Oddly not very hoppy. Oxidized malt. Somewhat fruity (I get Fruity Pebbles in the background). Odd, soapy/floral note... I was initially reminded of a public bathroom... not a good sign. Of course I have no idea how old this beer is, so...

Flavor: Oxidized. Oxidized malt, and even worse, some cardboard. Limited hops given the style, although age has to play into that as well. It's slightly leafy, minty, grassy, and floral - but also fruity which could be coming from the yeast, the hops, or a combination of the two. The strength is there, with a fine edge of alcohol that cuts through it. The bitterness is not, however, at least not the listed 93 IBU's that the label claims... I'd estimate it to be in the mid to high 70's. It's enough to hold the malt back from sweetness though, and bring in a dry finish - but the soapiness found in the aroma remains in the flavor, and I think in the mouth feel... I feel like I've got soap in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Apart from the soapiness it's somewhat astringent. Medium-full in body and nicely crisp. There's enough carbonation to give it a little bite, adding to the alcohol and bitterness that's present, and helping to round it out while still maintaining some creaminess. That carbonation also helps to explain the great head retention. I'd give it a great score if it wasn't soapy and astringent.

Overall: Based on the fact that this is a Double IPA I have to say that it's one of the worst beers I've ever had. If it was a pale ale at this level with some flaws I might give it some leeway. If it was a flawed lager in some third world country, or even just a lifeless pilsner even in Berlin, I might let it slide - but as an American Double IPA it's entered into a realm that requires training, strength, and dexterity. The "Double IPA" moniker requires it to live up to a higher standard, and it falls short. It's not a contender. There's potential there, but as it is, it's a failure. Whether that's due to failure in brewing technique, or failure due to shipping beer further than it should be shipped to maintain freshness and quality doesn't matter. I look forward to trying this fresh so that I can change my review and redeem it (if at all possible), but without freshness dating or going to Missouri I'm not sure how that's possible.

Apr 14, 2015
Suds from Missouri

3.91/5  rDev +6%

Hazy orange color with a firm and frothy white head...the beer is aromatic. Lots of hops...citrus and floral, with some malt underneath. Earthy and spice. The beer is strong, but hides it's alcohol better than expected. Full in body. Bitter, and more balanced than others. Not bad, but not outstanding.

Apr 04, 2015
JLaw55 from Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +22%

This was a delicious DIPA! They still kept the hops front and center but put enough malt backbone and fruit flavors behind it to create layers of flavor. This was an awesome DIPA!

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

Feb 14, 2015
jmdrpi from Pennsylvania

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. labels says "for best taste, serve warm 57-61 F". So I let it sit out an hour before drinking

pours a cloudy orange rust color with white head. good head retention and lacing. aroma is a little boozy and earthy. taste is a balance of sweet malt and a bitter finish. some citrus fruit flavors in there. slick mouthfeel, lower carbonation.

Feb 11, 2015
powpig2002 from Florida

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

Don't think Dirt Wolf has anything to worry about. Not bad but not anything special. Tried throwing in a slice of orange froom the neighbors tree in. Certainly didn't hurt. At 9.99 a six, it does the job. But I am glad, i got it as a single

Dec 24, 2014
WestHam973 from Illinois

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Great beer! Love how they just didn't make a hop bomb that tastes like everything else, this double IPA is nicely balanced with some malt and fruit flavors. Crown Valley makes another winner!

Dec 21, 2014
njtmayhem from New Jersey

4.67/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got this beer though the mail. Enjoyed on a hot day mid June, it was perfect. Great look and smell, taste did not let down. Mouth feel was average but overall I really enjoyed this beer.

Dec 19, 2014
dbrauneis from North Carolina

3.61/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear golden apricot/honey in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some orange highlights. The beer has a three finger tall dense foamy beige head that slowly reduces to a finger tall medium sized cap in the center of the glass surrounded by a very thick film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of tropical/pineapple hops, citrus/orange hops, slightly stronger sweetness from caramel/grain, and just a hint of alcohol.

T: Upfront there is a moderate to strong flavor of grainy and caramel malts with a slightly stronger than moderate amount of sugary and caramel sweetness. That is followed by some moderate flavors of citrus/orange rind and tropical/pineapple hops with a hint of pine hops. Light to moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades pretty quickly.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp upfront with some stickiness and alcohol warming in the finish.

O: This is a decent though not great DIPA - worth sampling but I would not personally grab a 4/6 pack of this one. A little too hot from the alcohol to be an easy drinker. Fairly sweet, even for a DIPA.

Oct 28, 2014
Franziskaner from Missouri

3.29/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Amber hued with a fairly hazy complexion. An inch thick eggshell white head resting on top. Light Brussels lacing. Hop aroma is somewhat earthy and dominates the nose. The taste is earthy to somewhat piney hops. There's plenty of malt to back up the hop presence. The mouth is a bit chalky but fairly easy to quaff considering the strength.

Aug 10, 2014
Scott231 from Illinois

3.92/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Redder in color than expected. The Brewery's description hooked me with the talk of hops, hops , and hops but their flavor is quite light. Good but light considering the wonderful hoppy aroma. Feels real good in your mouth and on the way down. Absolutely no citrusy tastes so I'll not be too interested in another.

Aug 01, 2014
beergoot from Colorado

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance is a solid, honey-amber colored hue with a very thick, fluffy, white head. Caramel malt and pine sap aromas make up the bulk of the aroma. Toasted grain with a balanced and complementary hop bitterness make up the bulk of the flavor; toffee. Medium bodied with a smooth, silky mouthfeel.

I picked up this bottle along with an assortment of other regional beers while traveling through Missouri a month ago. This DIPA is a nice find and something I'd gladly revisit. At 9.0% ABV, it's a biggin' yet there is no boozy quality noted and the malt and hop components balance out well. This beer definitely comes across more malt-forward overall with the hop profile being more of a bittering counterpoint. Not a west coast hop bomb but still unmistakeably an IPA-styled brew. Very good...

Jul 09, 2014
FickleBeast from New Jersey

3.47/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Savor snifter.

Pours a hazy orange color with two fingers of billowing foam that takes several minutes to settle down. Bottle conditioned. Aroma has a mix of toasted malt flavors and roused yeast. A twinge of sour as well?

First sip has a harsh hop flavor. Very bitter with a strange yeasty off flavor. Not a hop profile I've tasted before, it is really a hodgpodge of mostly earthy hop flavor with a strong sweet backbone of toasted malt. It is just not balanced or harmonious at all. As it warms, the maltiness comes through more, and it gets a little better.

This really isn't what I'm looking for in an IIPA. Either give me a flavorful hop bomb or a nice blend between the strong malt backbone and complementary hop flavors. This kind of tries to do both.

I went out on a limb and got a 6'er from a brewery I've never heard of before. Regretting that decision now.

Jul 04, 2014
schematix from Missouri

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a hazy dark gold to light orange color. Head rises quickly only to fall shortly after.

S Balanced aroma of hops, malt and yeast. No alcohol, which is surprising given it's 9% stature.

T: This is a well balanced beer. The citrus hops immediately pop on the tongue, and quickly fade to sweetness. For 93 IBU, surprisingly, this beer doesn't make you pucker. The sweetness morphs into an aftertaste that reminds me of the twangy orange finish of many saisons. I'm even questioning whether they use a belgian style yeast in this. I'm not getting the hop bitterness as much as I'd like.

M: Thick and fizzy, but not cloying or prickly. It's rich and full bodied.

O: I like it, but there are a lot of IPAs, DIPAs, and IIPA out there to try. I'd recommend this one because it's good, but I don't think it's anything special.

Jun 03, 2014
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crown Valley Gunslinger has an extremely thick, foamy, spongy, off-white head, an initially clear (hazes up when the bottom caked contents are swished and poured in), orange, bubbly appearance, and heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is very odd- soapy? biscuit? Can't say. Taste is sweetness, white bread, floral hops, and mellow bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Crown Valley Gunslinger finishes mostly dry and easy going. No alcohol and not much bitterness is picked up, here.

RJT

Apr 01, 2014
Boca-X from Missouri

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a large tulip. Very cloudy orange, yellow...some floaties. Nice thick white head, decent lacing.

Sweet malty honey spread upon a fresh baked slice of white bread fills my nose. Hints of lemon zest and key lime play together in the malt field.

As I sip, the carbonation hits my tongue first...medium carbonation...then an abundance of sweet caramel, sweetly malty honey and crackers in the middle...thick and chewy. The hops finish strong, bitter, dry, pine cone syrup...bitter honey hangs on for a while...it never really goes away. A boozy alcohol warmth settles in.

A ton of gooey sediment lays in the bottom of my tulip...drain pour.

All in all a pretty good double. As usually with these types of ales...as it warms the better it gets. I like the sweetness...the bitter finish is a little much for my taste buds. Seems a little uneven...very good but not great. I wii drink again...hope Crown plays with this Gunslinger a bit...it could be great with very little effort.

Mar 19, 2014
TastyMcTasterson from Missouri

4.36/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a fairy clear orange copper color. White frothy head with good head retention.

Nice citrus smell. Clean, grapefruit, malt smell and not much else.

I like the balance of this beer. Hoppy flavor without being too bitter. A little sweeter and more body than the benchmark IPAs but it just works. Easy to drink while satisfying your senses.

Like all IPAs freshness is key. I luckily live within an hour of the bewery and can get it fresh. I have tried many higher rated iPAs from the bottle and for me this one tops them. Is it the quality of the brew or just the freshness? I wish I could go on tour and sample them all at the top of their game. Either way I highly recommend you try this one if you get an opportunity.

Oct 23, 2013
tr9871 from Florida

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Just picked this up to try based on price point. At 8.99 a sixer I had very low expectations. Those were quickly surpassed when I first popped the cap. I drank it warm (60-65) per the bottle's request. The aroma was very nice with lots of piney and citrusy hops. Poured great, very effervescent, with a moderately lasting head. Taste was great: lots of malt, lots of hops, just a good balance going on. The 93 IBU's are nicely set off by a sweet, deep malty character. This beer feels great going down, and the 9% abv is dangerously hidden. I will definitely be picking more up soon!

Sep 20, 2013
russpowell from Arkansas

3.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not super high on this brewery, but every once in a while they do alright...

Pours an effervescent honey color with 3 fingers of cream colored head. Superior head retention & near perfect lacing, plus a touch hazy

S: Breadyness & grassiness, pears & pineapples plus fusel alcohol

T: Much maltyness, faint pineyness & orange hop notes up front, a touch of honey malt & some pineapple & pear. Dryness, nice cakey maltyness, slight boozeyness & nice tropical fruittyness as this warms. Finishes with doughyness, pineapple, grassiness & some boozeyness, plus a touch of aspirin & much orchard fruit

MF: Chewy with slight carbonation, some stickyness. Nicely balanced, starts thinning out as it warms

Drinks fairly easy, way better than I expected. Not great for the style, but well worth a try. On the edge of being good, needs a little more finesse, a little less sledge hammer

Sep 02, 2013
oberon from North Carolina

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%

Kind of an odd find at Harris Teeter today.Poured into a nonic a dull honey orange color with a nice sticky half finger slight off white head that leftsome chunks of foam as it settled slowly into a frothy mass.Alot of sugar sweetness in the nose along with some drunken apricot and oarange-like hops.Has a nice full creamy feel and it glides down easily.Flavors are on the sweet side with deep caramel and sugary sweetness,a little more sweetness from the alcohol comes into play as well,hops are pretty subdued for a 93 IBU beer,some apricots and orange rind lingers.It's not a bad beer but to me miscategorized by the brewery with it's flavor profile.Okay but not anything to see out in my opinion.

Aug 28, 2013
Tone from Missouri

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of sweet malt, hint of earthy malt, hops, slight citrus, hint of alcohol, and a hint of pine. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is thick and smooth, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of pine, hops, sweet malt, slight earthy malt, hint of citrus, and hint of alcohol. Good appearance, blend, and aroma, but the body is lacking in intensity that typically characterizes IIPA's.

Aug 18, 2013
Mikecap from Rhode Island

4.17/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured a deep amber from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass with two fingers of off white head that fade quickly, lining the glass with solid lacing.

S: Piney and earthy hops with a bit of tangerine and other citrus fruit. Very hop forward with some malty sweetness.

T: Slightly bitter with pine and grassy notes, a bit of grapefruit and caramel. Strong balance between hops and malt.

M: Medium bodied and very smooth. Easy drinking and not overly bitter with a solid creamy texture.

O: I really loved this brew and I think it may be a different recipe from the one listed here at 8.3% ABV. My bottle read 9% so I don't know if it changes each year. Overall, one of the better DIPA's I've had in some time. Well done.

Jul 23, 2013
Gunslinger Double India Pale Ale from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.
Beer rating: 84 out of 100 with 235 ratings