1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Gunslinger Double India Pale Ale | Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Gunslinger Double India Pale AleGunslinger Double India Pale Ale
3.66/5
Good
Gunslinger Double India Pale AleGunslinger Double India Pale Ale

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.
Missouri, United States
crownvalleybrewery.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Our Gunslinger Double India Pale Ale starts with a rich malt base to which we add hops, hops and more hops. This skillful blend of malt sweetness and aggressive hoppiness will rule your senses! After the addition of Columbus, simcoe, centennial and citra hops at various points of the brewing process, we reach the final IBU count of 93.

Reviews by tr9871:
3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Just picked this up to try based on price point. At 8.99 a sixer I had very low expectations. Those were quickly surpassed when I first popped the cap. I drank it warm (60-65) per the bottle's request. The aroma was very nice with lots of piney and citrusy hops. Poured great, very effervescent, with a moderately lasting head. Taste was great: lots of malt, lots of hops, just a good balance going on. The 93 IBU's are nicely set off by a sweet, deep malty character. This beer feels great going down, and the 9% abv is dangerously hidden. I will definitely be picking more up soon!

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

This poured out as a slightly hazy orange color with a nice white head on top. The retention is good as well as some lacing on the glass. The smell of some moderate hops on the nose.. a mix of earthy and citrusy. There is a bit of malt sweetness as well. The taste has a bit of pale malts and a touch of spicy citrus in the finish. The mouthfeel is pretty thick, it's got a good body to it with a decent amount of carbonation. There is a bit of boozy heat too on this which is kind of surprising. Overall I thought this was a pretty good DIPA. Not the best by any means but still not bad.

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

Hazy orange color with a firm and frothy white head...the beer is aromatic. Lots of hops...citrus and floral, with some malt underneath. Earthy and spice. The beer is strong, but hides it's alcohol better than expected. Full in body. Bitter, and more balanced than others. Not bad, but not outstanding.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Crown Valley Brewing "Gunslinger" Double India Pale Ale
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.49 @ Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

Appearance: Hazy deep gold/amber body beneath a fluffy head of off-white. The head retention is excellent but the lacing leaves a little bit to be desired.

Aroma: Oddly not very hoppy. Oxidized malt. Somewhat fruity (I get Fruity Pebbles in the background). Odd, soapy/floral note... I was initially reminded of a public bathroom... not a good sign. Of course I have no idea how old this beer is, so...

Flavor: Oxidized. Oxidized malt, and even worse, some cardboard. Limited hops given the style, although age has to play into that as well. It's slightly leafy, minty, grassy, and floral - but also fruity which could be coming from the yeast, the hops, or a combination of the two. The strength is there, with a fine edge of alcohol that cuts through it. The bitterness is not, however, at least not the listed 93 IBU's that the label claims... I'd estimate it to be in the mid to high 70's. It's enough to hold the malt back from sweetness though, and bring in a dry finish - but the soapiness found in the aroma remains in the flavor, and I think in the mouth feel... I feel like I've got soap in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Apart from the soapiness it's somewhat astringent. Medium-full in body and nicely crisp. There's enough carbonation to give it a little bite, adding to the alcohol and bitterness that's present, and helping to round it out while still maintaining some creaminess. That carbonation also helps to explain the great head retention. I'd give it a great score if it wasn't soapy and astringent.

Overall: Based on the fact that this is a Double IPA I have to say that it's one of the worst beers I've ever had. If it was a pale ale at this level with some flaws I might give it some leeway. If it was a flawed lager in some third world country, or even just a lifeless pilsner even in Berlin, I might let it slide - but as an American Double IPA it's entered into a realm that requires training, strength, and dexterity. The "Double IPA" moniker requires it to live up to a higher standard, and it falls short. It's not a contender. There's potential there, but as it is, it's a failure. Whether that's due to failure in brewing technique, or failure due to shipping beer further than it should be shipped to maintain freshness and quality doesn't matter. I look forward to trying this fresh so that I can change my review and redeem it (if at all possible), but without freshness dating or going to Missouri I'm not sure how that's possible.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: pours a hazy orange color with a 2" head that falls to a spotty surface covering.

Smell: light citrus and a bit of hop bitterness comes through to the nose.

Taste: caramel, light grainy malt sweetness, soft grapefruit, some orange, and a moderate bitterness are the main flavors. Some alcohol is detectable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout. Aftertaste is short lived.

Overall: a bit of a let down as the flavors are a bit singular and not cohesive. Definitely a lighter double IPA overall. One is more than enough in a session.

3.11/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours from the bottle hazy amber in tone. The pour creates about a full inch of off white head. Head has decent retention. Nose is musky and has cologne like fragrance that is generated by the malt and hop profiles. Not all that bad of a smell just kind of odd. The flavor follows the nose quite closely. Musky and zesty with a nice balance between the piney hops and spicy malt characters. overall a solidly drinkable beer but not great.

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%

Well, the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody has stumped me on this one! Where did you come from, sir & when were you born? :={} Apparently, one does not ask such questions of a Gunslinger.

From the Bottle: "Gunslinger Double IPA is a robust and malty beer, with and intense hop profile. Well balanced, rich malt flavors with powerful hop notes from the use of five different hop varieties."; "Brewing a Missouri legend".

I Pop!ped the cap just as he Pop!ped off his first shot. Ol' boy must be wielding a cannon, but I fortified with some of Sheriff Johnny Law's best haw-haw before I stepped out for this one. Things were moving in slow motion for me as I ducked that chunk of incoming lead & began my own slow pour. I am not a fan, in my advancing age, of quickness & as he got off his second shot, I conducted an in-glass swirl of my own. I love watching just under two fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head appear. Does my heart proud, Color was a prouder Deep-Amber/Light-Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Reminded me of my gal, Linda Lou's hair. She's right purty & I mean to put a pebble on her finger if'n I can get outta this here jam! That's the problem with being a Gunslinger - ever' young buck wants to prove that he's bigger, badder, faster, younger, dumber & fuller of cum. Well, that's how I made my bones, but I never looked into the future & here I am. My nose was filled with a musty, minty, caramel-like sweetness. O, Sweetness, don't let 'em bury me! I want to be cremated with some mint & scattered like air freshener. Dang, that boy's gettin' closer! Time to stand up like a Gunslinger & not a yellow-bellied snake. [Whistles] My six-shooter purrs like a kitten when I get to fannin' like one a them Geisha girls on our Field Trip to the Orient last year! Yessir, things may be finishing dry 'round these parts, but don't you get to thinking that aging takes the edge off. [Spits in disgust].

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

pours out a golden thick beer , with a light 1 finger thick head .Smells surprisingly balanced, sweet and hoppy. Taste is also balanced, advertised as 93 IBU theres plenty of malt sweetness to keep everything in check. Mouthfeel is nice and thick, something i expect in a heavy beer such as this. Overall a good DIPA, priced right, something to have once in a while.

3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this one into a regular pint glass, and the brew makes a solid two finger thick off white head, and the body is copper in color with mild haze.

Not verh fragrant, just a soft bouquet of a faint floral quality.

The brew tastes of candied orang slices with some consolidation of the sugar. Some rind mixed in there too.

Feels full in body, slightly chewy, and a little warm in the end.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not super high on this brewery, but every once in a while they do alright...

Pours an effervescent honey color with 3 fingers of cream colored head. Superior head retention & near perfect lacing, plus a touch hazy

S: Breadyness & grassiness, pears & pineapples plus fusel alcohol

T: Much maltyness, faint pineyness & orange hop notes up front, a touch of honey malt & some pineapple & pear. Dryness, nice cakey maltyness, slight boozeyness & nice tropical fruittyness as this warms. Finishes with doughyness, pineapple, grassiness & some boozeyness, plus a touch of aspirin & much orchard fruit

MF: Chewy with slight carbonation, some stickyness. Nicely balanced, starts thinning out as it warms

Drinks fairly easy, way better than I expected. Not great for the style, but well worth a try. On the edge of being good, needs a little more finesse, a little less sledge hammer

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Amber hued with a fairly hazy complexion. An inch thick eggshell white head resting on top. Light Brussels lacing. Hop aroma is somewhat earthy and dominates the nose. The taste is earthy to somewhat piney hops. There's plenty of malt to back up the hop presence. The mouth is a bit chalky but fairly easy to quaff considering the strength.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Poured out a clear, copper color with a two-finger, off-white head of bubbly foam. It left thin rings of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smelled piney and grassy. Lots of sweetness, too.

T - Very sweet and malty. Strong toffee and some caramel flavors. Some piney bitterness, but not enough to balance out the sweetness.

M - This beer is a little sticky and chewy. A medium bodied ale with chewy body.

O - This misses the mark for me. Too sweet and malty for a Double IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Savor snifter.

Pours a hazy orange color with two fingers of billowing foam that takes several minutes to settle down. Bottle conditioned. Aroma has a mix of toasted malt flavors and roused yeast. A twinge of sour as well?

First sip has a harsh hop flavor. Very bitter with a strange yeasty off flavor. Not a hop profile I've tasted before, it is really a hodgpodge of mostly earthy hop flavor with a strong sweet backbone of toasted malt. It is just not balanced or harmonious at all. As it warms, the maltiness comes through more, and it gets a little better.

This really isn't what I'm looking for in an IIPA. Either give me a flavorful hop bomb or a nice blend between the strong malt backbone and complementary hop flavors. This kind of tries to do both.

I went out on a limb and got a 6'er from a brewery I've never heard of before. Regretting that decision now.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

This beer tastes very much like the Big Bison Ale I just tried from these guys. Which is, odd. This is somewhat more spicy though, with a bit of a bitter bite going on. Unusual muddled citrus going on. Kind of salty. I don't really have much to say about this beer. It's just kind of there.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Cloudy golden hue. Plenty of rising effervescence. Pours about a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Settles fairly slowly. Spiderweb lacing.

S: Sourdough bread, honey, orange citrus.

T: Woody hop character accentuated with a slightly sweet and fruity component.

M: Thick and syrupy. Crisp. Aftertaste of steel and dried orange peel. Dry finish.

D: Bitterness and high alcohol content will dictate a slower pursuit.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Pretty good head, and some nice lacing. Nose is sourdough, honey, and citrus. Earthy or woody hop tone makes up the base, slight sweet and fruit components balance it out. Overall, this is a good quaffl

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this IPA into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Christmas trees jumped out of the bottle when I did. The beer poured a giant white head. The beer was cloudy and smelled like a forrest of spruce. Hoppy taste out the butt. Waaay hoppy. Did I mention it was hoppy. NO, I will not buy again. A great Christmas beer if you do not have a tree.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of sweet malt, hint of earthy malt, hops, slight citrus, hint of alcohol, and a hint of pine. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is thick and smooth, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of pine, hops, sweet malt, slight earthy malt, hint of citrus, and hint of alcohol. Good appearance, blend, and aroma, but the body is lacking in intensity that typically characterizes IIPA's.

Gunslinger Double India Pale Ale from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.