Imperial Pumpkin Smash | Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Imperial Pumpkin SmashImperial Pumpkin Smash
4.1/5
Imperial Pumpkin SmashImperial Pumpkin Smash

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.
Missouri, United States
crownvalleybrewery.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by Beer4Baltimore on 08-16-2013

A lot of people rate this beer highly, and I don't discount that. The only thing I can figure is I got hold of a bum batch....

I picked up a four pack of this with high hopes. I enjoy pumpkin brews, and Imperial Stout is perhaps my favorite style. After chilling a bottle (but not much), I poured it into a snifter. The color is a delightful, deep mahogany, almost black. The smell is full with spice and a touch of chocolate and respectable dose of pumpkin. It smells - and I mean this in a good way - like the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco I remember my dad filling his pipe with when I was a kid.

But then I tasted it. There was nothing subtle here: overly sweet, harshly flavored, and a residue of artificial sweetener. I did my best, I really did. I thought, "Maybe it just needs to warm up more." That didn't help. "Maybe my palate just needs to adjust." It did not. In the end, it tasted like Sir Walter Raleigh, too, and I poured half of it down the drain.

Sometimes, though, I like a beer better on the second try. Perhaps I was having an off night. So, a few weeks later I gave it another shot. Same experience. Perhaps there are bottles floating around somewhere out there that are filled with delicious nectar, but I didn't happen upon them. This is awful.

1.18/5  rDev -71.2%

This is horrible! Smells and tastes like a cheap, generic parfume.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

Absolutely gorgeous in a glass until you drink it. Yech! Gag! Sweet, almost creamy concoction of sugary wasted malt.

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

Ooof, this is a rough one, but I'm biased, I generally dislike pumpkin beers. Received in a beer of the month set.

A bit baffled by the high marks on this one. Great color and head, but the taste incredibly cloying. Strong taste of toasted coconut, toffee, with astringent alcohol on the back. Very bitter aftertaste that lasts. Someone else mentioned artificial sweetener and I have to second that. It's like the taste after drinking a diet soda. Could not finish a bottle, poured half down drain.

Do no drink with food, except maybe apple pie.

Out of a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

A – Dark, root beer brown on pour with a healthy tan head that stuck around and left small rings in the glass.

S – Allspice, pumpkin, vanilla. Not overwhelming smell but very pleasant.

T – Hmm. Astringent and bitter. Do not taste the spice in this one. Not good. Bad bottle? Drain poured.

M – See taste. Tough one.

O – Not sure here. It looks and smells good but the taste is tough. Overwhelmingly bitter and has a funky astringent taste. I love all things pumpkin be it pie, cake, seeds, beer whatever. It is one of my absolutely favorite things and I tend to like any pumpkin beers (even ones others hate) but something is up here. Weird.

2.06/5  rDev -49.8%

I know I'm in a minority with this review, but I really did not care for the taste of this beverage.

2.12/5  rDev -48.3%

2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.35/5  rDev -42.7%

Random bottle from World of Beer. Never heard of these guys but this sounded interesting. Pours black with a khaki to mocha head. Aroma of sweet pumpkins, some cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg spice, sweet cream and sugar. Flavor is cloying chocolate pumpkin spice with an artificial sweetener finish, and maybe a hint of roast. Thin, medium carb, blegh. This is pretty much undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -39%

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

2.8/5  rDev -31.7%

2.89/5  rDev -29.5%

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

Pour is black with lots of mocha colored head. Nose is heavy dry milk chocolate, a bit vegetal, light chalky notes. Moderate pumpkin, faint cinnamon. Taste is similar, light roast, chalky chocolate, faint pumpkin and cinnamon. Less vegetal, still a touch green, moderate carb, creamy finish.

I found this beer to be rather weak.

Harsh to drink with no real chocolate notes or festive pumpkin spice notes.

It both fails as a stout and fails as a pumpkin beer, really leaving nothing satisfied or good
It does not have any real flavor faults, and no booz can be detected, but I really feel that this is a very weak beer that is not worth its price for a 4 pack.

Far better options are available
Id Give this beer a pass, but it is probably worth it to try if you can get it on sale or free from a friend.

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Imperial Pumpkin Smash from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.