Seven (#7) | Upright Brewing Company

Upright Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
uprightbrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

"Seven is our most aromatic beer. The brewery's saison yeast is fully expressed in the aroma with lots of fruitiness while the hops provide light spice notes. The beer has some heft mid-palette but finishes dry with a lightly lingering bitterness. Seven is satisfying on its own but pairs great with a variety of typically fragrant cuisines such as Thai or Indian."

Malts: organic pale, pilsener, organic munich
Hops: magnum, mt.rainier, hallertauer mittelfrüh, liberty

Added by msubulldog25 on 05-26-2009

3.94/5  rDev -2%

Poured from 750mL bottle into my Selkrik Abbey tulip.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a light haze and a strong effervescence. Head is three thick fingers of creamy ivory foam. I think it's quite pretty indeed.

Smell: lightly grainy and grassy with just a little hint of acidic bite. Simple, but nice.

Taste: rather malty right up front, there's a sweetness and just a hint of classic farmhouse funk. The hops are indeed grassy, but bitterness is quite low. Sweet, but tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big carbonation and concomitant creaminess. I like it.

Overall: a bit sweet and malty, this saison is a little bit on the mild side when it comes to funk. That said, it's still a rather nice treat. I like it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%

Find the closest teddy bear, cut it open and bunch its fluffy guts together -- that's what Seven's head looks like. A beautiful, dense crust of eggshell-white foam caps the beer for what seems like hours. Below, the liquid is burnt orange and mostly clear.

Strange nose. Highly aromatic, I get hints of pumpkin spice, bread crust, honey, musty cereal, anise. Red apples mix with the other mulling spices to give this an almost cidery quality.

Impressive malt character. Packed with toasted bread from bready start to quenching, bitter burnt finish. In between, I get red apple again, biscuits, toasted wheat, earthy hop contribution. Pepper, sawdust, a good amount of toasted wheat. Dry as a crusty loaf of bread. Musty.

Not a hint of the eight percent alcohol. Carbonation is quite high, assaulting the to gue with bubble daggers to the point that it's painful. Medium-light body, fluffy in the mouth. A bit of fizz as it moves.

Not exactly the flavors I'm looking for in a Saison. Worth a try, though.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This one has been in my cellar for about two years and I thought it might be a good opportunity to break it open on a cool summer day after running around the house powerwashing and fixing stuff.

A: Pours a Massive frothy white head leaving sticky lacing. There is some mild white sediment that settles on the bottom of the glass on the first pour.

S: Aroma of sweet lemons, stale drying grass, pale malt, and a mild light funk that reminds me of what a saison should smell like.

T: Overwhelmingly great, tons of pale malt, munich and pilsner malt flavors, making this crisp, light and flavorful. After a few sips, it is very clear that this is extremely well balanced and the light lemony citrus flavors go well with the crisp pilsner malts.

M: Light crisp and with a good body. the malts in this saison are well chosen and I will have to brew a similar beer soon. After finishing off my Cornelius keg of saison that I had been storing for a while, I am ready for a new fresh batch.

O: Overall, probably one of my favorite saisons I have ever had. I enjoyed the other Upright saisons that I had tried before however I do not know if the age really helped this one come to full flavor or subdued the hops. In either case, this was thoroughly enjoyed. Well done Upright.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Tasted 6 June 2014.

Pours clear golden. Massive dense fluffy head, 3+ fingers. Excellent retention and boatloads of lacing. Fantastic, and demonstrative of how fine-looking saisons can be.

Smell is floral, but dense floral. It's on the simple side, and that one element is good, but not amazing. A lot of Upright's beers smell like this - like someone juiced flower petals. It's pithy and robust, despite being sort of high-in-the-nose aromatic.

Taste has those same floral notes, but a little sharpness. Pretty basic, lacking the depth, variety , or subtlety I want. It's fine.

Feel is okay. Medium-bodied, but definitely on the flat side.

A decent saison. I find that in general, Upright's takes on the style don't completely agree with me, as they all have a heavy flower character that dominates more than I'd like. Perhaps it's their yeast strain, perhaps their choice of ingredients. I'm still waiting to be wowed by them.

Seven (#7) from Upright Brewing Company