Flora Rustica | Upright Brewing Company

Oregon, United States
uprightbrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Summer

"Flora Rustica - An old-style saison with a big floral nose. It's pale, drinkable, dry and bitter. Made with calendula flowers and homegrown spring yarrow."

Malts: organic pale, organic caramel
Hops: hallertauer mittelfrüh, liberty
Also: yarrow, calendula
Yeast: French saison

Added by msubulldog25 on 08-03-2009

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Orange-apricot body with a massive white head. The body is a bit cloudy and the head is thick and fluffy with superb retention. Sheet like lacing down the glass from start to finish.

S: Rich floral/herbal notes up front. Fresh grass, tea like notes from the flowers, a bit of funk, and a nice green apple tartness in the back end. Truly impressive.

T: I'll be honest, the first sip was a disappointment. I think I spent so much time sniffing the beer my tastebuds weren't quite ready for what was to come. With each progressive sip layers of flavor emerged. Grass, earl grey tea, flowers, some spice, horse blanket, green apples, honey, lemon.

M: Smooth, light bodied. Perhaps a touch thin for the flavor profile. Good carbonation. Clean, refreshing finish. Nice low ABV saison.

D: This is a f'ing impressive beer. When it comes to floral saisons it manages to outclass the incredible Southampton Cuvee de Fleurs... I have a bottle of Four and Seven in the fridge... if they come anywhere near this I will have to consider moving to Portland.

4.76/5  rDev +15%

750ml to tulip glass. Hazy apricot body w/ huge, rocky white head. Head is sticky and slowly moves downward. Hefty cap of lace remains throughout the drink.

Fruity, rich, brown sugar aroma. Spicy, almost winter warmer like. Citrus hops. Orange vanilla.

Tart, dry, chewy body. So pleasant, drinkable, light. Simple hop presence, grassy, slightly bitter. Too easy to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an absolute phenomenal saison. The nose literally smells so floral you might as well have wild flowers stuck up your nose. The body and finish is ever so elegant with a total wild tea like after taste. YUM!

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to aasher(Al) for this rare tick. dude gave me this for absolutely nothing. Beeradvocate at it's finest. Poured into my favorite piece of glassware (fantome tulip).

The pour is hazed orange. Lots of froathy bone white resting gently atop. slushy, clingy lace. very inviting.

aroma is extremely floral, herbal, and complex. lavendar, eau de toilette, coriander, spicy breads, wet stone, and vanilla.

wow. The flavor does not follow the aroma. it hits your tongue with a wallop. Rustic, fruity yeasts, ginger and white pepper. Bright and clean. slides right down.

I have yet to have a beer from upright that didn't blow my mind. Didn't realize that this would blow me away. This was very impressive. I could drink this beer for the rest of life and be quite content.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

I love saisons, so trying this highly acclaimed and locally distributed west coast offering is a real treat that I have to thank my friend Eric for. I'd take beers like this over any RIS in an instant.

Pours a vibrant apricot with a huge white meringue of a head, which leaves huge deposits of lace on the glass. This thing is like stiff egg whites, and it just refuses to die. As beautiful as an Orval. Great aroma has a unique mix of floral and herbal notes mingling with black tea. Some lemon and a bit of dry funkiness too.

The taste is really neat. It has that great dry saison funk and pepperiness, but the addition on the calendula and yarrow kick things up a notch and add a wonderfully complex herbal and floral character. Lemon, horseblanket and tea round off one of the most impressive saisons I've had. The light mouthfeel and dry finish work perfectly with the flavour profile, and the lower ABV makes this a ridiculously sessionable beer.

Big thanks to my main man, ritzkiss, for sharing this gem. I love this style and try everyone I come across, and I'd instantly say this is in my top 5 saisons, and should be in the top 100 beers out there. Its beautiful, smells great, has a delightful complexity, and drinks ridiculously easy. I'm not sure what more you can ask of a beer.

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 batch. Time to update. After being disappointed with last year’s batch (there's a chance I simply got an off bottle), I was hesitant about giving this year a shot. Boy am I glad I did. Twice on-tap and three bottles later, I believe this one's a winner.

A: Brilliant gold, rocky impressive looking four finger head that hangs around for quite a while, and ridiculous lacing. Nothing could make this look better. 5/5

S: Complex herbal layers, citrus zest, and a classic ester profile I associate with fruitier Belgian farmhouse ales. Some slight white pepper goes a long way. 4/5

T: Bitterness is obviously from a source other than hops. It's a softer bitterness without the harsh bite that seems to come from alpha acids. Grapefruit pith dirty things up and keeps my interest. Rustic qualities with round grain profile. It's almost hard to describe due to its uniqueness among American saisons but it's extremely enjoyable. This just screams to be paired with dinner. Very food friendly. 4/5

M: Full and lush. Very silky texture that somehow finishes cleaner than expected. Although there's so much head suggesting carbonation it actually feels low-medium on the palate. Impressive perceived size for a beer hovering at 5% ABV. 4.5/5

O: The very best beer Upright has made this year. This is the third batch and the third yeast strain. I'm sure there has been some other tweaking along the way but this amalgamation is my favorite. Alex, don't change a thing next year. I'm likely getting some more bottles this year and will probably regret not buying a case once I'm out. An absolute must try if you have the chance. 4.5/5

2011 batch. 75cl bottle split between a couple Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Bought at the brewery tasting room for $8.

A: Pale light amber in color with a big fluffy white head that recedes slowly leaving adequate lacing. Off to a great start. 4/5

S: Gone are the rich botanicals I remember from last year’s batch. A mild mannered typical herbal saison is what I get this year. Lightly floral character could just as easily be from the hops as from the flowers. 3/5

T: It's a saison. Actually comes off slightly sweet and uninspired. Simple ester's and herbal qualities makes this a better pairing for a charcuterie plate, but isn't something I'm drinking by itself when I want a provoking beer. 2.5/5

M: Slightly fuller than the ABV would hint at with moderate carbonation. This finishes just a little sticky. I'd prefer it was drier. 2/5

O: Last year’s batch seemed more interesting to me. It was more dynamic and a little tart. I'm not sure if there were other changes to the recipe, or if the yeast was the only thing that changed, but whatever happened I'm not on board. 2.5/5

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

Huge thanks to a few generous BAs for getting bottles of this out to me. Served in a Mikasa tulip glass.

Pours a brilliant light orange-copper with a three-finger white head. Crystal clear. Good retention before falling into a thick collar with a thin cap. A bit of lacing on the sides of the glass.

The nose is quite intriguing. Everything blends together at first, revealing only that it is a saison. As it warms the first thing to come through is a bit of spice, mostly white pepper and a bit of coriander. Along with that is faint citrus, including a moderate amount of orange peel. Faint floral notes and a generic herbal quality are there as well. What must be the yarrow really rounds thing out.

The flavor is a bit different than the nose, but just as interesting and complex. The orange peel comes through with a bit of rind-induced bitterness. Herbal character is there throughout. Light coriander, though the pepper isn't quite as strong.

The mouthfeel really takes the beer to the next level. Light-medium in body with moderate carbonation. A very nice dryness to the finish. Not very bitter, but borderline puckering in the way it dries out my cheeks. Explosive and addictive, this is a fantastic beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap at the Hop & Vine, handsomely presented in a big tulip. A hazy caramel/apricot body with a very thick cap of cream-colored head. Excellent retention and quite a bit of sticky lace.

Heckuva brew here, from the massive clove/tangy banana that first hits the nose to dry chalky/lemony finish. In between is a mishmash of sweet, tart, spicy, floral, and breadiness. Every degree it warms up seems to uncover another layer of complexity. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and coating, teasing you to take another sip (an easy sell).

Overall impression: Excellent beer from a brewery I'm glad I got to know a bit before leaving town.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%

Wow. What a delectable, fine beer this is. This is the third Upright brew I've had; all have been Saisons, yet each has been distinct from the others except in their uncompromising excellence. If this standard is the norm for Upright Brewing, then they have a bright future indeed.

Appearance is clear amber-gold with a persistent bone-white head, nothing too special but certainly pleasing to the eye.

Where this beer really impresses is in the nose, an area in which all Upright brews I've sampled thus far excel absolutely. I can think of no other brewer that makes such heavenly-smelling ales. Imagine candied fruits, fresh-cut grass, hay, honey, and expensive perfume all in one fantastic whiff and you'll have the idea. If I didn't insist on drinking it, I would seriously consider spraying this stuff on myself.

Taste is unexpectedly dry especially after the nose, but this works well as it enables a better appreciation of this ale's many subtle complexities. Floral notes including rose are immediately noticable and indeed dominate the palete. Upright says that this is brewed with yarrow and calendula flowers, but since I haven't got a clue what those taste/smell like I can only offer that they must be nice because this beer is powerfully infused with blossomey goodness. I think that if I were a bee this would be my favorite beer.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, a good match with this brew's floral character, and the low 5.1% ABV and overall refreshing nature make this an exceedingly drinkable choice.

If I had to sum this up in a one-liner, it would be "Spring in a bottle." Outstanding.

Flora Rustica from Upright Brewing Company