Lot #3 IPA

Notes: 65 IBU
Reviews: 225 | Ratings: 1,068 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Rdubbia:
4.66/5  rDev +14.5%

A slightly high ABV, but a delicious beer.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce drafts were the Happy Hour special at Birrotecha, so I figured what the heck..

My notes, in full "Like a solid midwest IPA from 2006. I mean that in a good way."

The pour was dark amber and filtered with a decent head. The flavor and aroma were pine and mild citrus. It was very flavorful without being at all overwhelming and I was surprised to see its ABV was as high as 6.8.

It's nothing groundbreaking. Indeed, it's a bit old-fashioned. But it's very well done, and frankly I prefer this style to most contemporary, fruit-heavy IPAs.

Pours a slightly cloudy deep gold color with off-white head and runny lacing. Aroma is upfront with tons of citrus, especially tangerine, orange and some grapefruit. Taste is similar to aroma with great flavors of citrus, citrus peel and fresh squeezed juice. Mouthfeel is excellent with the right amount of hop bitterness and citrus flavors to balance quite well and make this a very drinkable and very very refreshing beer....

4.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Pours an opaque bronze-amber color with 2 1/2 finger head. Great head retention and lacing present.

S - Overwhelming aroma of hops hit your nose right off the bat. After the initial hop and pine aromas hit you, hints of a sweet caramel malt take over. Hints of citrus or more primarily grapefruit can be noted as well.

T - Fairly straightforward flavored beer, not too much else I can note. Initially note flavors of pine and hops, proceeded by a mild malt finish. Leaves a piney finish to the mouth

M - Medium - light bodied beer with average carbonation. Very crisp and dry finish; enjoyable.

O - Great local brewery and a beer to live up to that. Very enjoyable IPA overall. Reasonably priced as well.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very enjoyable IPA. I love the grapefruit flavor and excellent balance. Very nice.

Well rounded and always good

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pours a dark orange with a thick white head.

smells like grapefruit, a nice hoppy aroma.

taste is subdued fruit at first but finishes with a big hop bite.

goes down smooth but has a somewhat thick finish. not bad but is somewhat thick for an IPA.

this is a damn solid IPA, especially because it's fresh. from the slits on the label of the bottle this beer was brewed in September of this year (making it within 3 weeks old). there is nothing bad about this beer but there is nothing superb about this beer. at my local store a 6 pack is (i think) $9.49 which isn't bad for a very fresh IPA.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

The flesh is strong, but the mind is weak in this case. I was over at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop on Wednesday and I needed to fill out a sixer, plus they are doing a tasting today (Friday) so I decided to do some market research.

Nothing was holding me back, so I nearly inverted the bottle to begin the pour. This worked in terms of creating a pseudo-cascade, as well as three-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention, but it also caused what I call "teardrops" - when the head threatens to overflow the glass, but does not, however, droplets run down the side like tears down cheeks. The lacing that began to appear was both amazing and sticky as all get out, meaning that it would take a power washer to remove. Nose was simple - pine and caramel. That should be a street intersection for us hopheads! "Hey, baby, I'll meet you on the corner of Pine & Caramel at 5 o'clock, dig?" Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was medium, approaching creamy. The taste was not as intense as on the nose, but who cares? I was getting my hops fix, man. M'main man, Jimmy Ellroy, is getting ready to lay some of his sweet jazz, white or no, on us, and I suddenly needed a taste. There was a point, as a self-avowed hophead, that I couldn't get enuffa dem hops and I walked around with a howling monkey on my back. I slowly got right, but man, there are those times when I sink right back down into the hops morass, man, and this was one of them. The hops laid in with a cool breezy mintiness and I fell back, letting the bottle gently fall from my fingers. I inhaled deeply, letting the pine scent permeate my sinus cavity. Finish was semi-dry as the caramel malt decided to wake up and assert itself. Man, I was on a rocket to the moon! Jazz was roaring out of the hi-fi and I felt like I could reach out and touch every note. Baby, who needs sex when you got hops, right? Maybe that's why #TheOldLady doesn't totally dig my scene. She grooves on honey and while she's my Honey, she likes an application of the stinger every once in a while. Whoa, it just struck me like a bolt of lightning! If this is #3, who/what/why/how is # 6?!? I am # 10. You don't dig? Listen, man, I got a circus going on in my Brain Housing Group 24/7 and sometimes my reviews reflect my unreality. It's crazy, I know, but there is a subset of humanity who reads this and immediately latches on, Daddy-O. Hey, man, be cool. Be real cool, as cool as the beer in my glass and as cool as the mentholated flavor of # 3. Ask for it wherever and whenever better beers are sold. Check you in the alley, ' cause that's where I score.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Grabbed a sixer from Stateline at the recommendation of fellow BA BeerThursdays, who I fully trust to point me in the right direction.
Pours a clear amber color with a full finger of bright white head. Minimal lacing and the head dissipates rapidly.
Spicy hops up front in the aroma with a hint of citrus.
Flavor is nice. A very safe IPA, but solid. Not pushing any boundaries, which makes this one heck of a session beer for the style. Spicy hops still dominate the flavor profile, but more of a floral (pine) quality lingers in the aftertaste. Biscuit malt rounds out the hops, but definitely leaning towards the hops as it should.
Clean finish and the mouthfeel is fantastic. 6.8% abv is just where it should be.
Thanks to Evolution for dating their bottles, I'll be sure to grab this one when I find myself in MD and look forward to a visit to the brewery real soon. A great first impression.

On tap at the Brewery.

A - Into a pint glass, this IPA is the standard orange color you would expect from an IPA. Very little head, just a thin white layer on top of the beer, which surprisingly leave a lot of lacing with each sip.

S - Hops. Grapefruit, sweet citrus, and pint. Some bready malts in there, but also, standard for an IPA. While I say standard, that's not bad. If it hits, and exceeds the standard, that's a good thing.

T - Very hop forward, but not all bitterness. Nice citrus and earthy mix. Bitterness is there, but very well balanced with sweetness. This one exceeds the standard in my opinion.

M - Medium bodied, but hangs around a while. This was very fresh at the brewery, so the hop oils hung around very nicely at this age. Moderately carbonated, which was delightful at the time.

D - Very happy this is available in bottles, and year round at this point. I could easily see this become a staple in my fridge, and kegerator. Drink up folks, this one is right up there with the best of them.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lot #3 IPA from Evolution Craft Brewing Company