Jacques Au Lantern | Evolution Craft Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by lackenhauser on 10-28-2009

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

2.04/5  rDev -44.4%

This year I made it my mission to indulge and try EVERY single Pumpkin related beer I could gather among all my local beer stores. I discovered this particular one today, the gentleman at the store recommended it for me, I love recommendations, so that always makes it exciting. I’m going to be very blunt. After coming home, setting up my new Freddy Krueger figure, turning on some tunes and pouring this bottle of Jacques Au Lantern into a glass I was immediately struck by what I consider a foul and unwelcoming odor. Let me mention that when it comes to pumpkin beers I am personally looking for a sweet aroma and taste, anything as close to a pumpkin pie and or related dessert as possible and this beer is certainly none of that. I am almost inclined to describe the smell as Pumpkinhead urine, you know, the film “PumpkinHead” right? Imagine that monster urinated, and that bitter stench is exactly what I experience as I inhale the aroma of this particular pumpkin malt beverage. I am almost struggling to find the pumpkin spice in this one too, it sort of creeps up amidst the after taste after you swallow, but I am very disappointed with this recommendation, not a fan. I had to give this one a very low rating, definitely will not be purchasing more, just aint my style.
-Mr.Oz

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass
A - Pours a gold/orange and cloudy; looks like apple cider, head dissipates quickly
S - cinnamon, spice, fermented apples
T - Mild spice; slight bitter aftertaste
F - sinificant carbonation, frothy
O - It's drinkable and ok, but I'm beginning to realize that I'm not a fan of most Pumpkin Ales; it seems more of a seasonal novelty to me rather than a really good seasonal brew

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Orange/amber with 1 finger of head that fizzles out quickly like soda. Excellent clarity and moderate carbonation.

Nose
Clove, nutmeg, Belgian yeast and banana.

Taste
The spices are upfront consisting of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. Some nice Belgian yeastiness along with notes of wheat and banana.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied and dry.

Overall
I detect no pumpkin. Just a whole lot of spices.

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter glass. 6.3% abv.

Appearance- Pours a dark copper with 2 finger head quick to dissipate. Quite clear.

Smell- Pumpkin, a blend of spices such as cinnamon and spicier notes of clove.

Taste- Very sweet sugary malt, Belgian-esque in a sense. Pumpkin kicks in before quickly being faded out by a collection of spices, mainly clove, and the sweet malty taste.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body with low carbonation.

Overall- Something about the spice and malt combo did not meld together nicely. The very sweet malt noted clashed with the overly spicy flavors. For this reason this beer did not seem drinkable and a bit off.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Jacques Au Lantern from Evolution Craft Brewing Company