Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lot #6 Double IPA | Evolution Craft Brewing Company

evolutioncraftbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lackenhauser on 02-27-2010

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lovely DIPA, bottle from Capone’s. Orange bodied with some retained head. Smooth, above average and relatively smooth mouthfeel(though a little grapefruit acid in finish). Rich, complex, lots of fruit: apricot, mango, orange. Very hoppy aroma. A well crafted DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.56/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to drewone for sharing this one at AndrewK's tasting.

Bottled 3/2013.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, honey, cardboard, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with honey, cardboard, and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is definitely past its prime but still drinkable and not really all that bad.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Was at Max's in Baltimore and wanted a hop fix, this more than handled it. A super hoppy beer with tons of bitterness, alcohol is well hidden and there is a decent enough malt backbone to make the beer pretty smooth. Great mouthfeel and finish, an above average IPA and definitely one the upper tier ones I can I've tried.

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: A hazy, amber pour capped with fluff; many strands of lacing hang around

Smell: Grapefruit, pineapple and mango tones; somewhat floral with bready malt tones underneath

Taste: A bit bready in the base but the hops take over quickly, bringing citrus pith, pineapple and mango tones; the bitterness builds, through the middle; the malts bring in balance to the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A bit maltier than I like by DIPAs but this is brewed for balance while still being quite bitter

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Poured a clearish golden-amber color with a small white head that displayed moderate retention and lacing. Aroma is expectedly hop-driven, lots of citrus and pine, hints of tropical fruit. It's been a while since I've had a good, no-nonsense DIPA, and this one really reminded me how much I like the style. Lots of sticky hops in the taste, citrus zest and pith, pine resin, tropical fruit, with a solid caramel malt base, and grainy alcohol warmth. Medium body, crisp and dry, very well-done.

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

4.12/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.08/5  rDev -1%

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

Once again, if I am drinking a bottle during the Great Bottle Purge, it is because I was at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop and I had to fill out a sixer or be charged extra. I like to blame them, rather than my own alcoholic weaknesses.

We just had a tasting with the Evo rep last Friday, but she was savvy enough to keep me off of the # 6. Lots # 1 and 2 were experimental, leading to Lot # 3 and when the DIPA craze took off, 6 was double 3. I suggest that there be a Crying of Lot 49 IPA in homage to Thomas Pynchon.

I just love a heavy-handed pour since I get the pseudo-cascade initially, followed by the creation of the head. In this case, it was just under three fingers of dense, tawny head that jiggled like pudding when I inadvertently jostled the glass. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose smelled like a citrus grove inside of a pine forest! Grapefruit and evergreen fought for supremacy in my sinus cavity. I raised a toast and took my first sip. Mouthfeel was unnaturally thick and viscous. Jesus! Every time I drink a DIPA, I feel like I am in a battle to the death! It lay upon my tongue like a beached whale, refusing to move, while the hops bored deeply into my poor, bruised tongue unmercifully. Man, you had better like hops (and I do) if you plan to attack one of the leviathans! I was getting a load of hops on the tongue and in the mouth. Finish was hot, dry, desert-like and I felt as though I may need a lay-down after that one. And this coming from a self-avowed hophead! Imagine how amateurs must feel ...

Lot #6 Double IPA from Evolution Craft Brewing Company