Dorado Double IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

4.2

Ratings: 2,922 |  Reviews: 694

1.48/5  rDev -64.1%

1.48/5  rDev -64.1%

Way too boozy. Got nothing but warm alcohol. Poured half the bottle out. Surprised it was such a miss since sculpin is such a hit.

1.66/5  rDev -59.7%

Not sure what the story is but Ballast Point has done it again - changing the recipe for one of their most popular beers...first Sculpin last year and now Dorado. Boo.

A - Light honey gold with just a hint of head that doesn't stick around

S - Sweet and slightly phenolic with just a hint of hops, this should be a hop monster but smells like off homebrew

T - Sweet and bitter, but not in a hoppy way. Tastes like it didn't ferment all the way out or ferm'd at too low a temperature. Pales in comparison to years past.

M - Thin and whispy, the sweetness clings to your tongue in a bad way.

O - Wouldn't even get a taster of this let alone a pint. This is a classic example of needing to dump a batch - if Dog Fish can handle it then BP should buck up too. A sad day.

1.79/5  rDev -56.6%

Metallic taste despite good coloration on the pour. Hips are hidden in the high ABV no malt backbone whatsoever Very disappointed for the the price point. After a prior review of Dogfish 90 and Stone enjoy by.. this beer fails in all regards of an imperial IPA. Good buzz that's about it...

2.06/5  rDev -50%

Easily one of the WORST DIPAs ive ever had. Nothing but extreme bitterness up front and a strong alcohol finish. If youre going to brew 10% abv beers at least do a good job covering it and balancing the flavor.

2.15/5  rDev -47.8%

Horrible. dark, malty, cardboard. Keg not dated.

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%

Honestly poured nice gold, Smells of pine. Tasted like penicillin. That ruined the mouthfeel for me.

2.22/5  rDev -46.1%

Growler from Stony Brook Beverage, Stony Brook, NY served in a pint glass.

Look: clear golden body with big carbonation bubbles floating to the top, nice head retention on the beige head with some lacing left behind. Good looking.

Smell: resin with a big, boozy aroma. Not particularly inviting. If I really stick my nose in it, I can pick up hints of floral, citrusy aromas too but they are hard to pick out.

Taste: follows the nose with a lot of alcohol and unpleasant resinous bitterness. Not very good.

Feel: medium to full in body, which is a good mouthfeel for a DIPA, but that booziness is a problem. Its not really sessionable and I decided to stop drinking halfway to the bottom of my glass. I will be leaving the rest of the growler for my girlfriend to finish, since she seemed to like it.

Overall: not impressed. I was expecting a bigger Sculpin and got this instead. The keg was fairly recently tapped so either the beer has sat in distributor hell for a long time or this beer is terrible. Given that the only Ballast Point I've had that I enjoyed was Sculpin, I might be inclined to believe it is the latter. Avoid. Cheers!

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Likely past it's prime and may have to revisit. All sweet caramel, bready, spicy malt with faded citrus (grapefruit, orange) and bitter, soapy hops. Slightly grassy, and a bit of a plastic smell to it. Like a typically overhopped west coast ipa or poorly executed American barleywine.

2.46/5  rDev -40.3%

Perhaps i got an old or bad batch. The palate is full of hot alcohol, the hop flavor is dirty, earthy and nasty with a good dose of pine and grapefruit with very irritating, rough and highly persistent bitterness all on a shitty light caramel malt base. Fermentation is clean, that's about the only bright spot. My expectations were high given my experience with sculpin and other ballast point brews, yet this has got to be one of the absolute worst dipas i've had in awhile. Hop flavor sucks, it's just a blast of dirty earthy piney bitterness. This brew may benefit from a fermentation with more fruity esters, lower alcohol and use of hops with a cleaner less astringent bitterness and less earthiness. There seems to be a love affair with big bold high alcohol brews despite the flavor profile or other qualities which this completely lacks. I will try another batch to reproduce my experience and make sure nothing is off and, for now, i do not recommend this.

2.55/5  rDev -38.1%

Growler

Ballast Point Brewing Company
San Diego, CA

A glowing and clear amber with shades of red throughout. Thin white head perched atop with little lacing. Not a ton of carbonation or stick.

The nose is this beer's best characteristic. There's an array of citrus notes predominantly orange, grapefruit, and mango, along with a punch of melon, yet quite a bit of alcohol is very present in the nose as well.

The taste, however, falls away sharply and disappointingly from the vaulted ground the aroma sits atop. The hop bitterness and some citrus elements are here but this mainly consists of palette-wrecking, liquor-like alcohol burn. Unpleasant.

Thin, oily, and slick in the mouth. Goes down like liquor; harsh.

I'd been wanting to try this beer for a very, very long time. As a huge fan of Sculpin, I imagined this beer would find its way in to very similar heralded ground. I disappointingly missed it at Churchill's when it was on tap a few months ago.
When I got the e-mail yesterday about a new batch of Dorado, I rushed to the brewery asap and was the first to try the new batch. I even had to wait as they tapped the first keg and erased Tongue Buckler off their overhead board so they could add Dorado in its place.
I wanted to like this beer, and I didn't. Now I'm wondering what to do with the last half of an unwanted growler. Very disappointing.

(As strange as this sounds for a DIPA, this beer seems like a perfect candidate for aging. If I'd bought bombers instead of a growler, I'd cellar the remainder.)

2.55/5  rDev -38.1%

On tap at the brewery. Into a pint glass.

Dark amber color with half a finger of foam. Head recedes rapidly leaving a small ring around the outside of my glass. No lacing at all portends that all is not right in Denmark. Smell is of sweet malt and dank hops. No floral or citrus qualities are discernible. I'm getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The taste is... Well, first and foremost it's sweet. Overly sweet. This is followed by a wave of bitterness and a sweet juicy finish. The term "medicinal" is the first adjective that comes to mind. It reminds me of the cough syrup I never wanted to take when I was a kid. Speaking of syrup, the feel is thick and syrupy with a low level of carbonation. Overall this was a disappointment. I remember this being much better when I had it a year or so ago. Brighter and much less sweet. As is, this beer is not undrinkable, I finished my pint, but it was not very enjoyable.

2.56/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love DIPAs and Ballast Point but I didn't like this beer. Boozy, astringent, unpleasantly bitter.

2.61/5  rDev -36.7%

Into a Founders snifter pours a slightly hazy honey/gold with 1 finger head.

First thing I smell is very strong pine. Then I smell booze and some more grassy hops.

Taste starts off with strong pine, followed by biscuity toasted malt, grass clippings and plenty of booze.The finish is pretty sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Coats the mouth. Medium carbonation.

Overall, I do not like this beer. It becomes syrupy and cloying from all the malt. Almost reminds me of a barleywine. Way too sweet for my tastes. The booze is also pretty strong which covers up whatever other flavors there might be.

2.69/5  rDev -34.7%

I was a little disapointed with this one having had it i the house for a couple of weeks since buying it at Trader Joes in Bellingham, WA. The idea was really appealling: a double IPA with water melon. The reality is a great looking beer but one with a funky fruity aroma and that funkiness follows through to thie taste. Perhaps a base IPA would be better for a delicate flavour like water melon.....or even a pilsner.

Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company