Dorado Double IPA | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by drewbage on 06-14-2003

Reviews: 681 | Ratings: 2,880
4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

There is a hell of a big wad of sediment in the bottom of this bottle so I pour this very carefully.

I am rewarded with a Dreadnaught clone; hazy peachy amber colored beer with a good white head.

Smell is as I hoped; in fact an enormous and complex bouquet of hop aromas. Scents of pine, pineapple, guava, menthol, eucalyptus, willow tree, citrus, peaches and 10 other things I can't name. The scent is among the top three Mega IPA beers.

Taste begins sweet and fruity with a giant taste of guava and melon in the first sip; there is a pleasant lingering slightly green banana aftertaste to this. Big tropical fruit flavors just jump out at you from this just like the two big Russian River Beers and the Three Floyds Dreadnaught. The traditional big hop tastes of pine and grapefruit are minimized in this beer and allow every other flavor that hops can be to really shine. A truly superior Super IPA class beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

This is get you in "big trouble easy" drinkable. TASTY is the only word that applies here and this is just about liquid hop sex in a bottle. This is in the same class as the top three Super IPAs in the world and might just be the best.

This beer is burnt-orange/sunset amber in color. It has slight fruity undertones. When poured the beer has no head, with slight bubbles an intoxicating swirl pattern in the glass. All of this leads to nice legs in the glass and smooth viscoity...

The taste is very clean, very refreshing and very good. (Still need to drink another bottle in a few months and see if the taste improves like I hope/plan it will)

The beer itself has a very light mellow mouthfeel, with a crisp, intial hoppiness in the beginning with a nice smooth finish.

With a 9.1% ABV this beer is still very smooth and satisfying.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours with a half-finger head, settling into a quarter-finger or so hugging to the rim of the glass. Lacing is fizzy, with some spots - a little above average. Body color is like a slightly less luminous Dreadnaught, which is to say that it is a very pretty sap-like amber with some hints of gold. Not a very "loud" beer in the sense that it doesn't produce much noise upon pouring.

Smell: Sweet honey-like grapefruit, orange, with a pine backbone. Some cantaloupe-like aroma coming from the hops. A little sweeter of an aroma than I'm used to with San Diego DIPA's, like very fresh fruit. Sweet corn-like malt presence. Overall, a somewhat archetypal SDDIPA.

Taste: Mm. Big melon, grapefruit, and pine aromas are much more prevalent in the taste than the aroma, it seems. Again, there's that sweetness coming through. The swallow leaves this sticky candied-sugar like sweet sensation on the edge of the tongue. Some ever-so-faint woodiness, earthiness marrying with the alcohol quite nicely. That being said, I gllance at the bottle and notice it says 9.1% ABV. Really? Practically nowhere to be found. Absolutely excellent. Watch out, though, that monster ABV will (and does) sneak up on you.

Mouthfeel: A little undercarbonated, quite frankly. I will have to try another bottle to see if that will rectify the problem, because when I glanced at mine before opening, it looked like it might be slightly flat. Otherwise, your typical oily DIPA affair. Not much alcohol presence, as I've said.

Drinkability: This is an excellent DIPA. Huge and yet completely quaffable. I think this is, perhaps, the best alcohol-masking done in any DIPA I've ever tasted, if that's any testament to this beer's excellent craftsmanship. Well done, and way better than the bleh Yellowtail Pale Ale I didn't even bother to review. ; )

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to XLPerro!
Clear copper, toped with a wispy white head. Smells of big, juicy, citrusy hops and toasty malt. Some apple and pear, but most of the fruitiness comes from the hops. No alcohol. Big flavor, with good balance. The hops come through early, with robust bitterness, with enough toasty malt sweetness. Some barleywine aspects, particularly with the malt bill. Hops maintain dominance, but I'd say its particularly well balanced for a big beer. Pretty clean, allowing the hops and grain the full spectrum without much interference. Lots of orangey citrus. Slight pruney fruitiness. Moderate carbonation. Big body, with a fairly mellow mouthfeel. Not insanely complex, but still awesome. Big, bold and excellent, I'd love to have this again.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks go out to BeerRun13, my Secret Santa 2006, for this much anticipated bomber.

Dorado pours a brilliantly clear golden orange color with a fingers width off-white head. Nice lacing rings my glass.

The nose is a nice combination of sweet malts and citrusy hops. Caramel, grapefruit, orange, and a spicy scent I can't quite peg.

The flavor is hoppier than the aroma. Nicely bitter, spicy citrus hops don't let the caramel malts shine though too much, but I do taste them at the beginning.

Medium body with a dry, bitter finish. Nice hoppy aftertaste has me longing for the next sip. This is good. Another solid brew from Ballast Point...how I wish we could get them over on this coast. Santa did get my letter after all. Thanks Jason...oops, I mean Santa.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a Westmalle chalice. As I was pouring it i realized I shoud have used a different glass, but I was excited for beer and forgot, thus this poured with very little head.

Appearance is light, almost neon orange.

Hops are right up front on the nose as should be for a double IPA, also picked up on tangereine, orange, and something i just can't quite place.

Ok, this is different, not bad just very different from other Double IPA's I've had. I wasn't expecting that wash of citrus fruit flavor. The hops although very present on the nose, take a back seat to this woody fruitiness. Maybe this is done to create some balance, which it indeed does, however when I reach for a double IPA i'm looking for something heavier in the hop department. That said, this is tasty.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to WestSideThreat for this one.

Pours a cloudy deep orange color, nice carbonation, nice small foamy off-white head, some islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is of sweet malts, hops, citrus, spices, and caramel. The taste is nicely bitter/hoppy, sweet kinda honey like, with a slightly dry finish. Medium body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, my first Ballast Point, but not my last, I have a few of their other offerings. Highly recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +10%

Received in trade from BeerRun13. Thanks. Poured into my Duvel tulip after a loooong 12 hour day.

A - A hazy ruby/golden. Decent head burnt off fairly quickly, after an aggressive pour. Moderate lacing.

S - BAM..In your face monster piney, unripe grapefruit hoppiness. Something else at the edge that I can't quite describe....juniper? spruce?

T - Bitch-slap hop attack!! Bitter, coniferous, tangy....et al. A remarkably unique flavor. Leaves an orange peel finish. Very aggressive. Faintly reminiscent of the Maharaja (on crack).

M - Ouch! Major league taste bud abuse. (not that that's a bad thing) I wish I had more than one to condition my senses with. Strong alcohol presence. Again an extraordinary citrus finish.

D - As mentioned above, this one will take some getting used to. As I recently discovered with HopSlam, another "aggressive" DIPA, I think more than one will be necessary to fairly review this beers' drinkabilty. I'm working a trade for more, so hopefully I'll be able to prove the theory.

A very potent, take no prisoners West Coast DIPA. Pefect for the hopivore that I am. Nice....

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The orange colored body is topped off with a thick crop of ivory white froth. The retention is very good and its lacing ability even better. Great aroma. Big on the pine oils. Sap oils. Hop oils. Etc... It's a sharp aroma with a perfumey aspect to it. On the buds this one has got that same oily character to it. And I love it. I love that aspect of hops. And it's resinous and very piney. The malts make their presence known in a good way. They provide a very sturdy caramel-like, toffeeish backbone. This DIPA tastes unlike any other that I've had. It's very distinctive and unique...and addictive. The mouthfeel is exceptional. Velvety and creamy. Just flows... Alcohol is not noticeable. Lingering bitterness is not intrusive or abrasive, just enjoyable in its simplicity. This is quite enjoyable. It's the kind of beer that really grows on my the more I drink it and I know I'll be craving more after this bomber is all gone.

Many thanks to the Bum of Long Beach for yet another great West Coast Hop Bomb.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Label: Limited release 9.1% ABV.

Pours a hazy ruddy orange amber hue topped with a craggy crater eggshell cap that settles with a drippy lace.

Candy nose of Tang, cherry lolipop, fresh leafy pine hop scents. Bright pine wood sawdust and Spree candy pops out.

First swigs: Orange juice! Fresh squeezed orange juice. This is Tang breakfast drink! Some piney resinous flavors that create the most cornucopia fruity 2IPA that comes to mind. This is a pineapple, banana, red apple, full fruity flavored 2IPA. Brilliant dusty pine and oak hops.

Feel is full bodied piney resiny and sizzling on the tongue. Thick full bodied aspects cover up the 9.1% ABV completely.

Last swigs: Orange juice & Spree candy 2IPA. One of my favorite 2IPAs that I've had all year.

Beer is good. Happy bright 2IPA beering.

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

For a double IPA, this was probably the least amazing I've tried so far. The brew lacked any head and an interesting color, but was an ok light amber with some slight lacing. The smell was malt intensive and the hops weren't impressive. The taste was alright, but the flavor was subdued by the bitter quality of the hops. Piney hoppiness and not so rich malt flavor were abundant in an unfortunate way. The mouthfeel was overly bitter, but I found the body to be heft enough to carry the amount of alcohol. I was able to complete a pint, but it is not so drinkable, and will not be trying this brew again.

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice golden copper with a small off-whtie head that turned into a minimal lace.

The aroma was predominantly citrusy and resiny hops with some alcohol and light fruit in the background.

The flavor of the beer was intensely hoppy and somewhat coarse. The maltiness was sweet and a tad syrupy.

The mouthfeel of the beer was a little too heavy for a DIPA in my opinion. Not nearly as crips and Pliny or any of the Pizza Port DIPAs, like Lou P. Lin. The carbonation was good.

This beer was a good attempt at a DIPA, but fell victim to being too sweet and syrupy, much like the Stone 10th did.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

This is a good DIPA and all, but there's something a bit odd about it. Too grassy, perhaps. Rough cohumulone and a syrupy mouthfeel don't help either. A perfect example of a good idea gone too far.

The beer pours to a peachy, golden amber color, quite clear. Nice carbonation and head. Lacing could be much better, but retention is good.

The smell is very grassy. Smells like Chinook and some cascade-like strain with an intense grapefruit pith. The malt profile doesn't shine through in the least, aside from a straight sweetness.

The flavors don't mesh. Intensely sweet,syrupy caramel malt with an equally rough cohumulone bitterness. I would say it's well-balanced, but it seems to lack balance altogether. Has a bit of a medicinal flavor to it, along with a strong fusel alcohol taste. Not very pleasent. WTF is the deal with brewers who think they can make a good IPA by simply throwing a shit-ton of malt and hops together? I hope it's only a fad.

Just as a note... I still think it is an alright DIPA, but it would be much better with a little bit of cohesion. Thanks to dogfooddog for the bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz Bottle Huge thanks to IntriqKen for giving me a chance to try this one.

Light golden honey hue with a foamy white head. A few yeast particles in suspension and some carbo bubbles rising to the occasion. Nice caramel malt aroma with a ton of piney hops. Alcohol is abundant also.

Incredible hop bomb hits your tongue and wakes up the tastebuds. Pine and citrus hops dominate this but the malt is definitely there keeping the hops in check. Finishes bittersweet with a grapefruit aftertaste. Awesome for hopheads.

Dense oily body with some light carbonation. I love these hoppy, oily IIPA's. Very smooth and drinkable for the style. The bitterness actually isn't too bad because the malt keeps everything fairly balanced. I dig it.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

clear, dense fiery tangerine colors, hazy cream and forced big bubbles dot the surface. lacing dots cling heartily to the side of the glass. the beer reminds me of a sunset with its bits of brown, yellow and red around the edges.

smells like the freshest hop you can imagine, big on spice and zesty/tart citrus rind. grapefruit would be too tame a fruit to draw comparisons to here.. this beer is closer to something more essential and concentrated like a yuzu. all hops in the nose with a mild sweetness that acts as a precursor to what will most likely be a thick, deep beer.

but its not TOO thick. its just right. and it tastes like heavenly hop madness. this is what i imagine it would be like to eat hop sherbet, or drink a hop liqueur. the earthy, junglefied elements of raw lupulin dominate, and add a rather dry, dusty character to the beer. this is balanced (well, not BALANCED, but..) by a milder citrus sweetness, like an orange sunkist fruit gel. the alcohol bite is lost in the dry spiciness of the finish, but is felt in a nice belly warmth. this is truly a hop nectar and perhaps the best ipa i've consumed in recent memory. and for $5.99 a bomber ($4 cheaper than dreadnaught) this will be a new beer fridge staple, at least through the colder months.

two bottles, what was i thinking? case, here i come!

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%

22 oz bomber at La Bodega in Riverside CA for $6.99 (which I thought was too much when I bought it- the place is just up the road!), purchased in October 2006.

Pours a handsome rich orange-amber with a nice, but not overpowering off-white head.

Aroma- oh, my. Oh! My! This is some special stuff- there's no arguing that. A Juniper pine forest right after a rainstorm in the Roberts Creek Mountains, central Nevada, summer 1983. I went there immediately on smelling this beer. Incredible. I'd pay the $6.99 just to sit and smell this beer. My wife also says citurs/orange. I agree, but that shows up much stronger in the flavor profile.

Flavor- a notch down from the aroma, but still pretty good- very good. Citrus, alcohol/astringency/acid very well hidden. Lush rich mouthfeel. Oh, I like this one!

As with most of these DIPA's, drinkability is brought down because of the ABV, but even so, this is dangerously drinkable.

I Like it!

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a tall and fat tapered pounder glass it forms a respectable off white head that leaves arms of lace. Orange body with a slight haze and fine carbonation.

My first pull had my thinking how unique this is in a style that generally is one dimensional. Don't get me wrong this is Hop Central Station San Diego Style!! What I mean is that there are other factors that give this some character. First and foremost there is a fresh bark wooded element that is in every pull. Maybe even some drying cedar siding. Hops are huge and biting. I get mostly a harsh (welcomed in the big scheme of things) citrusy rind and a touch of pineapple and pine tree...just a smalll itty bitty touch. Finishing fairly dry and whats left is pleasing. I was tasting this brew for a good half hour after the final pull.

Notes: Well well well...this brewery is climbing the charts and I can't argue with the reasons why....good beer. Rind and Bark with a zippy carbonation and smacking alcohol. WOW! Very good to excellent. $7 buck tag on a bomber....plenty of similar options for $4...only time will tell.

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Pumpkin orange with just a touch of haze. Head is made up of tight bubbles with a few medium sized ones sporadically spread out...sort of a vanilla frosting color.

S: So much orange this could pass for Tang. Add some white peach, minute amount of pine and you've got yourself a beer.

T: Begins sappy with an earthy sort of pinecone bitterness...but this is just the beginning. As soon as I think this beer is going to be boring, it switches gears on you. A concentrated buttery orange sensation begins on the front sides of the tongue then sneaks up on the back roof of the mouth leaving a wash of juicy tangelo. This specific flavor lingers LONG after the last sip of beer. The bitterness then moves in, attacking the back center of the palate like someone rubbed grapefruit rind right up against the tongue. The bitterness then simply squats down and camps out there through the remainder of the process.

M: Full bodied and juicy yet lacking a touch of chewyness.

D: Alcohol is well hidden in this brew. Dynamic enough to seperate itself from the rest of the IPA/DIPA crowd which seems to be increasingly difficult to do.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bottle, obtained courtesy of lou91

appearance: pours into a la chouffe tulip-esque glass, body is rather light and golden in colour...lovely beige foam cap with great retention. nice stuff

smell: this is california style for sure...a potent burst of hops hits the nose in an impressive fashion, grapefruit-citrus, dripping pine resin...the aroma strikes me more in the way a regular american IPA would (ala 2 hearted) which i found interesting

taste: again, if this is 8.8% the alcohol is masked wonderfully, it tastes like a great american IPA(in the long run this one does prove that the proclaimed abv is true)...bitterness level is pretty high, just an absolute hop bomb (which i love)...intense grapefruit-citrus, orange, passionfruit, butterscotch, bubblegum, potent pine. What a treat this beer is

mouthfeel: medium body, slick and oily, abv masked big time, strong bitterness

drinkability: good

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Radiant tangerine with butterscotch edges. The largish cap is pastel orange-tinted ivory in color and is currently filling the top third of the pint glass with no sign of giving any quarter whatsoever. In time, it drops far enough to reveal a great deal of sticky lace in torn sheets. The light, bright color of the beer leads me to think that caramel malt will be in short supply. I certainly hope so; who needs yet another barleywine wannabe?

I've been enjoying the fantastic nose ever since the pour and it has taken all of my willpower to keep typing and not dive right it. I mean that figuratively rather than literally, but if the glass was bigger, I just might give it a go. This beer features an explosive aroma of all manner of citrus fruits, including pink grapefruit, orange, pineapple and passionfruit. One of the best DIPAs that I've smelled in quite some time.

The flavor profile follows suit, more or less. As expected, there isn't a whole lot of melted caramel present (there's still some though) on the palate. The malt backbone is appropriately huge, which is a good thing given all the hops. Even though I've had much hoppier versions, this one will scratch that alpha acid itch for damn sure.

The same citrus fruits that were present in the nose are present in the mouth, with orange shining especially brightly. In fact, given the less than perfectly masked alcohol (about which more below) comparisons to Grand Marnier would not be out of line. There's also a great deal of pungent pine sappiness present; an impressive amount in fact. The hoppiness isn't the high end hoppiness of an IPA, nor is it the bottom end thrum of a good American barleywine, but is something in the vast middle.

I have no idea how fresh this beer is, but I'm guessing that it hasn't been in the bomber long because of the still hot alcohol. While it isn't a deal breaker (it is a deal cracker), I prefer my DIPAs to hit me over the head with hops, not ethanol.

There's no letdown in the body/mouthfeel department. It's probably closer to medium than to full (for the style) with the alcohol acting as a solvent to cut the potential fullness down to size. It isn't a worry, though, since all that malt provides plenty of plushness and a light sticky sappiness on the finish.

Yet again, Ballast Point Brewing Company comes through with a solid, delicious version of a classically American style. These guys are often overshadowed by the AleSmiths and the Stones of the beer world, but cracking open a bottle of their beer is all it takes to prove that, in many cases, they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the San Diego County giants. Dorado Double IPA is all the proof that anyone should require.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: Dorado Double I.P.A. comes in a 22 fl.oz. Bomber which sports similar style labels to other Ballast Point labels, this one has a pair of Dorado’s swimming in the sea with the sun shining through and basking them. Labeled as “Dorado Double I.P.A.” and listed at 9.1% ABV. The bottle is described as a “Robust Series * Limited Release” along the top edge of the label.

Appearance: This one certainly performs in the looks department. A gorgeously clear super orange amber body has only a handful of slowly rising lone streamers to break the sunset. Off-white head sites tight and compact against the surface. Clumpy lacing slides effortlessly down into the brew.

Nose: Tangy tangerine nose blends a fresh luscious Satsuma flesh with a biting citric hop oil finish. Resinous oils are smooth and vaporize effortlessly into a medicinal chest clearing aroma that strips away the everyday detritus and replaces it with a superb hoppy fresh pine laden zingy hesperidia atmosphere.

Taste: Grapefruit sharpness tangles with a orange zest in the beginning but this is soon overtaken by a fast lane fresh hop character that pummels the taste buds with a West Coast reminder that they not only produce the best IPA’s but that the CA State is the official and historical home of the Double IPA’s. I love the balance in this offering, it has it all, a lush fresh juicy body, tangy after tastes, deep bitterness and a rasping “aaarrgghh”, from the swallow right through to the lingering astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: I suspect that although the malts don’t seem to be high profile that I know they are well balanced and perfectly support the hop bill. Like an Iceberg, the malt bill is under the waves, the hops may take all the thanks here but only because of the immensely concrete role of the malts, always the sign of a great IPA for me.

Drinkability: Dare I say libationally perfect - supreme balance whilst packing a fresh hoppy punch, this awesome Double IPA draws me in further and deeper with each mouthful. Hard to put down, harder still not to crack the other bottle which I purchased for someone else…yeah, maybe I could go get another replacement bottle later on for said recipient….or maybe I fuck ‘em off and drink it all myself, a hard choice I have to say!!

Overall: I first sampled this mighty beverage at the 7th Annual San Diego Strong Ale Festival, back then in 2003 it was listed as 8.6% ABV on the Beer List that was handed out at Pizza Port. The bottled version seems to be a little higher in strength and even in the taste department. $5.99 at Holiday Wine in Escondido but at least a $1 more than that in other establishments. I am so glad this is now bottled, sadly the only thing keeping me away from this one on a regular basis….is maybe the price, but like crack, it’s that addictive that I could maybe treat myself on occasion after a few local burglaries. A Limited Release from Ballast Point, so I suspect this one will not be around on the Shelves for too long, so if you see it, grab some whilst you can, despite the price.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I was excited to see this in bottles as I've drank it on tap a few times in the last few years and it was always exceptional. If anything, the bottled version is even better.

The smell is of grapefruit and intense hops, and the flavor backs this up nicely. TONS of hops, but very flavorful. Almost goes down too easy, since the 9.1 abv (according to the bottle) kicked my butt. I wouldn't drink more than one bomber of this.

Overall, a great addition to Ballast Point's bottled line-up. One problem though: the cost. It cost $6.95 for a 22 oz bomber. That's the other reason I won't be drinking more than one of these. It's as good, if not better, than Ruination, but $2.50-$3.00 better? No way.

Weird too, since Ballast Point's other offerings are priced very competitively. Even Stone's 10th anniversary IPA was around $5, and it had more alcohol, and was every bit as good.

I don't mean to harp on price, but I'm not rich and many people who want to try new styles and beers will not pay $7 for 22 oz of beer.

Still, Ballast Point continues to impress with their beers and their new brewing and bottling capacity is obviously being put to good use in bringing more of their products to the package market.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Enjoyed a tasty pint of this "S.D." style (What a great beer town!) DIPA @ O'Brians. It poured light clear amber, with a prety typical looking tan head. The lacing was fine and plentiful. The sniff was of light, guess what, hey we're in SD... .grapefruit. This is yet another SD hopalicious hop bomb of a DIPA. Waves of Grapefruit, continue to pass along the tongue, nostrils and all other senses. Recommended for all hop lovers.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I had this after the Stone 10th ADIPA and this was not as good but still a solid product. Grapefruit lovers will love this beer as it is the dominant flavor in the early, mid and later stages. Bone dry, bitter and citrusy which is what you expect. This is worth a try for all hop lovers.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

On-tap at the local pub today, served in a pint glass is an orange-gold ale with a thin, sticky, just off-white head that settles in time.

Sharp evergreen piney hops dominate the nose here. Some sweetness as well, that has grapefruit and orange squeezing through the dense pine forest, just barely.

The flavor is evergreen and pine sappy that puckers your cheeks with a sweet citrus mid-section and a dry, bitter hop finish.

Definitely suites it's style to a "T", as well as giving you your daily dose of hops in one glass, a full-bodied hop bomb that's aiming too please.

The hops hide the alcohol and dominate this brew for the most part. Don't want too miss this one if you love hops and a strong brew...a solid 2XIPA if there ever was one...

Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company